Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-1999, 06:14 PM   #1
Questy

Unhappy The "Free Lunch" is over

I know many of you, like many "smart" business people, bought domain names knowing you had two months or so from the time you bought the name until you paid for it. Well here's some news that may be of interest to you!

"On September 18, 1999, Network Solutions plans to move to a new Web-based prepayment process for registering domain names. At that point, we will no longer accept NEW registrations without payment in full at time of registration."
(Quoting an e-mail I received from network solutions)

Oh well, the free lunch is over!

------------------
Regards,
...Questy

Forum Moderator, full time computerguy, part time philosopher..
www.questy.com ... www.computerguru.net ... www.eden.nu

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 09-20-1999).]
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-1999, 12:01 PM   #2
davidg1234

Cool

what is their new methods of pay?
davidg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-1999, 09:17 PM   #3
Ted S

You now must pay via credit card before the domain is registered in your name. Basically, no credit card means no domain.
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-1999, 04:10 PM   #4
Questy

Unhappy

Here's the details on network solutions payment options:

http://www.networksolutions.com/busi...ness_info.html

Just curious, anyone out try out any of the new competitors of network solutions???
Old 09-28-1999, 12:08 PM   #5
pickup

One advantage is that if you have a lot of domain names, it is much more convenient than dealing with all those invoices. I have about 30 domains and it seemed like I was always getting another invoice, this clears up the mess.

This change also means that a lot of new domains will become available in the next 60 days as squatters are forced to either put-up or shut-up. Get your credit cards ready for to get some great names http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif
pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-1999, 03:28 PM   #6
davidg1234

Cool

This type of beaureaucrassy (spelt wrong, I know I know!) is agist in that it eliminates people who arent old enough to own a credit card but who often have enough money, to be able to buy domain names. I bet not even 50% of webmasters have credit cards.

The good thing in that is that it leaves room for niches and companies who can gain revenue by other means and give away generic domain names for free will take a lead.
davidg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-1999, 10:40 PM   #7
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Talking

WOW!

Some additional "dignitaries" for our Community.

In order of posts: Welcome Ted http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Ted is an exstremely talented "geek" with installs, security, coding, development and all things Web

Welcome Eric Pickup http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif A real pioneer and one whom I have learned a great deal from. Check out some of his very-cool scripts. I use many at coolgroup.com

We hope these talented "geeks" have time in their busy schedule to post and help us all http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
www.very-cool-stuff.com Tons of High Quality Free Stuff
www.coolgroup.com Multi-Media Postcards & Community
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-1999, 08:55 PM   #8
Questy

Cool

Steve,

Thanks for introducing us to the "new guys."

Ted, and Pickup,

Thanks for stopping by, glad to have you aboard.

David1234,

Regarding the need for credit cards, the point that pickup gives "This change also means that a lot of new domains will become available in the next 60 days as squatters are forced to either put-up or shut-up.", is probably the main reason that most companies will require up front payment for names in the future.

As far as the need for a credit card, yes, I could probably give many reasons to hate banks, I earn my money, then I pay a bank a service fee to access the money that is mine, then I pay them to use a plastic card to use my own money, yes this is all a hard concept for a cynical capitalist like myself to deal with.

However, on the practical side, if I am selling you something I'd much rather pay the bank the added fee for processing your credit card or debit card than waiting for you check to clear the bank, and hoping that it does clear the bank.

I've been on both sides of this issue, and while I'd wish the world were fair, and in God we trust and all others pay cash, the use of credit cards, debit cards, and all those other forms of plastics, is part of the realities of the world we live it.
Old 09-29-1999, 10:23 PM   #9
Ted S

Cool

I wouldn't mind the new setup too much if they actually removed unpaid domains. I registered a mis-spelled domain almost 4 months ago, it's still there and that's on of my new unpaid ones http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Ted Sindzinski
www.infinityinternet.com
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote