Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-1999, 04:30 PM   #1
Arn

Default Advertising options for the small website

Hi,

I just wanted to get a feel for what advertising options there were for the small website with a limited budget.

Here's what I know of, and wondering if anyone could contribute:

Goto.com ($25 minimum)
LinkExchange Adshare ($100 minimum)

And, of course, banner exchanges, targeted newsgroup posts.... but I was looking more for "mass" advertising with a limited budget.

And no pyramid schemes or the like, please. http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif

thanks
arn
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-1999, 05:08 PM   #2
WildComputer

Clicktrade $100 min for pay-per-click

Clickbank let's you setup an affiliate program (pay-per-sale) if you have a product (which could be online or a download, but has to be something you charge for, and hopefully people pay for). I think the setup is now $40. They then take a percent of each sale (10% + $0.50 per sale). I use them for my software.
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-1999, 12:20 PM   #3
Questy

Arn,

I'm careful to give one size fits all generic advise. If you could give a brief description of the goal of your web site, and the type of person you are trying to reach, that would get us starting in helping you.

------------------
Regards,
...Questy

Full time computerguy, part time philosopher..
www.questy.com ... www.computerguru.net ... www.eden.nu

Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-1999, 05:28 PM   #4
rlevant

yup--The one size fits all approach makes you feel real good until you discover that it works only for a week or so:>

I checked out Arn's site. Its a
Learn how to do stuff you don't know how to do site where users can add how to's in different
categories.
If I were building the site I'd focus on getting webmasters from high quality sites in different areas to take on making postings in that subcategory in return for: the link you give already at the end of the article back to their site...but I would require (in exchange for their moderating a category) a link from their site to your:>

I would solicite applications at the big webmaster bulletin board sites and perhaps through an opt-in mailing list to webmasters.

But a larger database and people with a stake in gettingthe word out cause it makes them look good would IMP be your best advertising strategy.

renee levant

------------------

rlevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-1999, 08:00 PM   #5
Arn

Thanks for the reply... I actually wasn't asking for Weeno specifically - but the response is appreciated.

I'd already implemented your suggestion to a degree ( http://www.weeno.com/Pages/promote.shtml ) but haven't been very proactive about contacting webmasters.

Perhaps when I have some time.

thanks,
arn
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote