Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-1999, 03:17 PM   #1
davidg1234

Default another buz idea, more structured kinda,

Ok, here is another of many of the possible business ventures which are swirling around my head. This one isnt as original as my other one though so it is easier to plan. Your comments are greatly appreciated dudes!

Ok, I am going to make a web promotion and marketing business where people pay me to get their webpage high in search engines and use other techniques to increase their targetted traffic.

Possible names: Grundy Marketing Concepts -----grundy is my last name, this was suggested to me by someone.
my idea was: elite marketing

ok, the things my service would include:

1) Online chat seminars:
$60 for 3 lots of 1hr sessions using microsoft netmeeting or my own chatroom to teach people how to target their sight and give them all tips for getting higher in search engines etc. and making successful doorway pages, possibly webpage design aimed at increasing sales etc.

2) All the above where I do it myself: $80/month per site.
I will make their doorway and hallway pages, submit their pages and get them high in search engines for their site so they dont have to.

3)Full blown marketing strategy including banner advertising (they pay pr banner views) by finding the ideal host for their needs aswell as the search engine stuff. ALso will design banners: $120/month

Ok, so they are all the things I have planned for my business if I do it. I am gonna make an online stats page so they can see where all their money is being spent (to some extent) using one of those login scripts which makes a url by combining username and password eg. www.company.com/username-password.htm
That is still secure becuase you still need to know the password to know the URL. that will avoid heavy costs of special servers.
I am going to design the site myself so startup costs will be zero, apart from the time spent doing it

your thoughts on any of this please:-)

davidg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-1999, 07:10 AM   #2
Questy

Just so I don't completely re-hash this entire thread, check it out at:
www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000017.html

Bottom line:

Your investement is minimal, you've got little to lose other than time.

How do you, will you, justify your prices? What are fair market prices for these services? What makes you worthy of what you are asking?

Read the other thread, give these questions some thought, come back and kick around your ideas.

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 07-22-99).]
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-1999, 09:58 AM   #3
davidg1234

Ok well the main reason for people to pay me is because it is as a result of my marketing skills that they found my site in the first place. If I can get my own site to #1 on the SE's and that is how they find it then that is gonna boost their confidence that I can get them to #1, just a thought :-)
Old 07-22-1999, 01:39 PM   #4
Questy

Keep in mind, I'm "testing you" as a potential client would, and your answer:

Ok well the main reason for people to pay me is because it is as a result of my marketing skills that they found my site in the first place.

Is Not a good answer. Most people will not consciously remember how they found your website, in fact to them, it was an accident.

RE:If I can get my own site to #1 on the SE's and that is how they find it then that is gonna boost their confidence that I can get them to #1

You cannot promise anyone you will consistantly get them to the #1 spot of search engines. I've tried, I've played the game, I know the work it takes. It's simply too big a promise to make, especially for the kind of money you're talking about.
($80/month per site). How can you promise them #1 rankings, in which search engines? for how long? What about customers you have in similar fields? How can you promise them both #1's? I can throw alot more of "what ifs" at you, instead I'd rather you think of some yourself.

You still really haven't answered the questions:

How do you, will you, justify your prices? What are fair market prices for these services?
What makes you worthy of what you are asking?

This is a marketing exercise, Your ultimate success will be determined by you ability to answer these questions.
Old 07-22-1999, 02:33 PM   #5
davidg1234

Well, I wouldnt accept any 2 similar sites. The reason why they'd give me the money? hmmm, well they wouldnt if they found out I was 15 for a start :-). erm, I am discussing with a few other sites a reciprocal link system (they are web design sites) so mubbe if they reccomend me then people will have more chance of joining. Well myself I think that the chatroom session is pretty cheap. ANd compared to all the big companies who charge $100 per time per keyword I think $80 is cheap for a month. I would be doing multiple keywords for the same $80 and I would be trying to maintain their position for the whole month whereas the others just charge $100 to stick it up there then that is their job done in a day. (Referring to "Coastal Sites" for the $100)

I am reading lots about marketing at moment
http://www.biznew.com and I used teleport pro to get it all on my HD so I can see if offline. Hopefully someday I will be equipped to answer you properly questy :-), until then I wil keep spurring out lots of other rubbish business ideas :-)
cya 4 now. i need all the time to read
Old 07-23-1999, 06:24 AM   #6
Questy

RE:I wil keep spurring out lots of other rubbish business ideas :-)

David,

If you can start thinking about these questions and understanding them now, you'll be way ahead of the game by the time you really get moving with you web based business ambitions.

Please, by all means, keep the ideas coming. It's good mental exercise for both of us!

"Q"

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 07-23-99).]
Old 07-23-1999, 09:50 AM   #7
davidg1234

Hehe, I think you're the only one who can be bothered replying to me. You never know, one day I might just hit on something......

Then it will be posted on a BBS for everyone to see and they will all rob it off me and I will have to start again ;-)
Old 07-23-1999, 12:03 PM   #8
Questy

REI think you're the only one who can be bothered replying to me.

I'll back off if someone has a good conversation going on most issues, but when it comes to business ideas, it's fun to "what if", and I've been in your shoes many times over the years. Way back then I hung out on forums on compuserve, and read every book I could get, and asked questions to anyone who would listen. I'm happy to give back some of that knowledge. I am quite happy to volunteer my services for this forum.

It's not a bother for me now to try to help folks like you think about ideas in a proper perspective. Don't ever worry about someone "stealing your ideas" almost all new businesses are just the re-packaging of existing ideas. It's finding a way to inject YOUR personality and YOUR energy into them to make them successful.

If the business truly reflects your personality, and your spin, then you are the best person to succeed with it.
Old 07-23-1999, 04:26 PM   #9
davidg1234

Ok, well I have totally kicked out all the old ideas, I figured that they were all **** and just my attempt to try to be smart and different from everyone else, which is sometimes a good thing, but bot in this case.
I have decided to go to my original idea of web design, websites which actually WILL work in netscape- lol :-).

At first I figured that the market was already too big but then I seen that all those other sites only cater for their particualr area in which they live so I could make a page targeted at Liverpool England businesses.

I still have to think of all the answers to questy's magic questions but it should be easier for this because your skills are more obvious than with anything else because your skills become quite apparent to the customer given what they think of your own site.

Ok, that is enough for now. cya. thanx questy. u r so kind! Here is a mega HUGE tip which I was keeping under my bonnet. Go to http://www.marketposition.com and go to the search engine discussion forum they have all the top tips for getting high in search engines and stuff!
Old 08-07-1999, 12:18 AM   #10
Ryan Kauffman

If you're good at making web pages, you can always find clients. Someone you know has a company, club, or some sort of organization that they want a web page for, or they know someone who wants one. A web design company is a little extreme at the moment balancing it with school and other things. Unless you know enough people that can make quality web pages that you can sub-contract the work to (for less than the person is paying you), you're better off just doing individual clients as a kid that can make web pages rather than a company. I'm speaking from experience on this. I'm 17 and wanted to do the same thing.
Ryan Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote