Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2001, 07:58 PM   #1
xuniverse
Member.

Unhappy what has the internet done for you?

I just thought it would be interesting to find out what building websites/affiliate programs has done for them...

For Me:

~A $300/month fun budget
~Car Insurrance
~MY CAR!!! Which i just got last night... 94' Honda Accord LX... $8,000... all internet money over 1.5 years...
http://isites.hypermart.net/mycar.JPG

------

WHAT HAS IT DONE FOR YOU?

------

I think that the internet and the ability for any Joe-Shmoe to make money is amazing! I know that if I had not discovered the simple art of HTML, that I would not have any of the above.... I feel very lucky for discovering website-making when i did. Now adays affiliate programs <that pay> are hard to find... but back in the day you could make bank.
xuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 12:19 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Cool

Congratulations xuniverse! That is one nice piece of machinery. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Personally, web publishing has given me freedom from having to listen to a boss. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif After four-five years of struggling, I now make a comfortable living from online advertising, but don't have too many perks to show for it (since most of my revenue is injected straight back into the business).

Quote:
I think that the internet and the ability for any Joe-Shmoe to make money is amazing!
While I don't want to dull the tone of this thread, I think it's important to note what we've all come to experience during the past 18 months. That is, in order to make money on the internet, you have to put in some serious hours, and run your venture as you would any other business. It's very possible for Joe-Schmoes to make an equivalent amount of money offline, but the web does provide greater freedom, flexibility and fun - and those are three Fs anyone can live with.

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 04:28 AM   #3
KP of Snooply
Member.

Unhappy

It has done a lot for me!!

- Been my own boss for 3 years.
- Friends Respect me
- I'm learning how to conduct business
- I'm 16, got more money than most teens
- Buying a fully loaded 2001 BMW 330i in May.
- Probably start my own career with Snooply.

And i'm sixteen, gotta love life! Off to school now http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Kaumil Patel
Snooply.com - We Snoop. You Find.

[This message has been edited by KP of Snooply (edited 04-24-2001).]
KP of Snooply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 04:32 AM   #4
Dave-AHFB

Unhappy

Hmm, what has it got me?

Well as czar said, it has givin me more awake hours, and there is now 1 "F" I am doing without...you do the math http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

D
Dave-AHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 04:36 AM   #5
kerplunk
Member.

Arrow

What has the Internet done for me?

1. Caused me problems online/offline.
2. Made me pay taxes this year.
3. Buy two new computers (for hosting purposes)
4. Owe my father $3000.

That's all I can think of...
kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 04:48 AM   #6
Vicky
Member.

Cool

This Business Has Done A Lot To me For Past 4 Yrs.

Loads Of Expiernce In This Age........Good Hard Working Understanding Partners....A Reputable Web Devolopment Company......Fun Of course...........Money Too Which i Reinvested.........Welll This Is My Full Time Job Now..I Am A Graduate and is taking this as my carrier

Has Given A Lot To Me.....No Words To Define

Regards
Mastermind http://www.bollyblues.com
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 05:31 AM   #7
badassbuddy

Talking

With HotDealFinder.com, I've received a bit of publicity. My site made it into PC World Magazine on two different occasions. It was also featured in a local newspaper, and there was a full-page article about me (with a huge picture of me, about the size of a sheet of paper) in a very reputable business publication. I was invited to lecture a business class at the university I attend, and I enjoyed that very much.

As far as Badassbuddy.com, I made it into Stuff Magazine, a nationally distributed 'guy' magazine. It was also the 21st fastest growing website in December 2000 (appearing on the same list as Mastercard.com and Nike.com).

HotDealFinder.com provided the experience and revenue to start up Badassbuddy.com, and Badassbuddy.com generated enough revenue to allow me to (just last week!) buy a 2001 325Ci BMW. The great part is, Badassbuddy.com didn't start making any money until the beginning of this year!

So, the 'net has allowed me to share my creativity with the world, it has given me a great deal of confidence, it's made me much more business savvy, it allows me to travel at will, it's given my family something to be very proud of, and it has allowed me to purchase a gorgeous car!

For some fun pics of the car, go to http://www.hotdealfinder.com/images/bmw

Oh, and I'm only 20 years old!

Regards,
Michael
badassbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 05:36 AM   #8
Synozeer

Unhappy

Insane Pictures (www.InsanePictures.com) has allowed me make over double than what I'm currently making at my job, comfortably buy a new house (just this Saturday!), be the envy of all my friends, and have a lot of fun with it overall.

Believe it or not, I learned a lot about webmastering, promoting and advertising from the "Get Paid to Surf" craze (which I was heavily in and still managed to make my money back - go figure).

------------------
Insane Pictures - www.insanepictures.com
Top MUD Sites - www.topmudsites.com

[This message has been edited by Synozeer (edited 04-24-2001).]
Synozeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 05:40 AM   #9
xuniverse
Member.

Unhappy

BadAss- Just as a note:

roughly 90% of my 160 friends that use *AIM icons* use yours. I would say that you have done an amazing job at getting yourself "out there" considering i live in a fairly small suburban city.
Old 04-24-2001, 06:07 AM   #10
JulianZ
Member.

Unhappy

Hi,

In my opinion new cars are very bad investments. If you want a new car... lease it. Or if you really want to show off rent a ferrari for the weekend. The money spent on those new cars would have been more wisely invested in real estate or back in the business.

Julian
JulianZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 06:10 AM   #11
xuniverse
Member.

Unhappy

ouch. lets stick on topic.
Old 04-24-2001, 07:03 AM   #12
SSacobie

Unhappy

I haven't really gone crazy with money. We've all heard the stories of those who have (some in this thread), but I haven't really changed dramatically insofar as spending habits. I got a new car last year and some new things, but I haven't really gone overboard. The majority of the money went right back into the business.

I have to agree with Czar. I like the freedom with running a web business. No need to listen to a boss. I can set my own hours, which means working when I want and for long as I want and sleeping as late as I want. I can live anywhere in the country I want and not have to worry about "Well, do they have a good job market there?"

I think given the new new economy, it's going to be harder for just any Joe Schmoe to make it big.

BMWs? I've heard about people getting those and Lexuses and whatnot. Granted, lately, I've heard more and more about "I have to return my Lexus." Too much buy now, think later philosophy going around. If you will be able to ultimately afford it (whether it's cash or 6-year payments), more power to you, but it's a definite risk given the current economic conditions. I'm also thinking in addition to the purchase price, insurance has to be through the roof, particularly for someone under 20. Personally, I got a Maxima, which is a great car, but without as high a sticker price. I may eventually get one of those fancier cars, but I'm going to make sure it's long-term economically feasible before doing so.

[This message has been edited by SSacobie (edited 04-24-2001).]
SSacobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 07:06 AM   #13
funtoon

Unhappy

Well the Web has not given me great amount of money, If I would had stuck to my job I would have been making atleast 400% more than what I get now with less work! I was a leading Project Manager in a software firm, When I left to work on my site.

But hey what the web has done, is made me confident, Well It has allowed me to experiment with my ideas, and the best part of it is I like what I do. It also made me little popular couple of magazines wrote reviews about me and my site and twice my site had been aired on TV too!

Well I guess its not about the money but as Czar said “the web does provide greater freedom, flexibility and fun” and the best part is I love what I do.

Ranjit

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.funtoosh.com" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.funtoosh.com</A> - The humor portal
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 07:54 AM   #14
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

This is a great thread.

Posts like xUniverse's should be encouraging to all the newer webmasters. The entreprenurial spirit is a wonderful thing.

Even if you aren't earning enough for the new Ferrari 360, keep in mind that you are learning lessons and gaining experience that you are going to draw on for the rest of your career.

Prior to starting SI I ran 2 different small businesses from my junior year of college until about 1996. Not a day goes by that I don't apply something I learned from running them.

I really feel that we have turned the corner with net advertising. Hang in there if your sites are marginally making money. As the sector turns around you'll be leaner, meaner, and positioned well to profit from it.

[This message has been edited by Robert from SI (edited 04-30-2001).]
Robert from SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 08:13 AM   #15
badassbuddy

Unhappy

Well said, Robert!

xUniverse, I'm glad to hear your buddies are enjoying the icons. I wish I had 160 friends http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif Congrats on the new car!

Regards,
Michael
badassbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote