Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2000, 06:09 AM   #1
WildComputer

Cool CJ has me confused!

OK CJ has me confused!

Any merchants, knowledgeable affiliates, or just plain anybody got answers to these:

1. Jumping stats #1
Today I noticed yesterday the frontpage stat of my earnings was about $2 less than the previous day (okay it's higher now, as I have more leads, so this could have happened more than once without me noticing).

I checked the transaction log for the last few days and don't see any negative transactions (obviously there are way too many for me to know that if any disappeared). Anybody got any explanaton ?

So what's going on here then ?

2. Jumping stats #2

When they were having hardware/capacity problems a while ago, I checked my stats a different way. Normally I just log in and enter the number on the front page into my spreadsheet (I love to keep track http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif - yes I know...). Unfortunately this number wasn't available during this period for about 2 weeks, so what I did was instead read the total transactios for the day from that transaction activity, and add it to my spreadsheet's running total, so I thought I knew how much total, I'd earned. Anyways, when the front page stats came back after a week or two, it was like $10 less (or something).

I wonder if this is a rounding error. Sometimes CJ uses 3 digits, sometimes 2 digits. If you get money on percentages, or percentages of percentages - it makes a difference if they round down, round to 3 digits or whatever.

Inquiring minds (me) want to know how they calculate this stuff!!!

------------------
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2000, 03:56 AM   #2
WildComputer

Cool

Additional confusion:

I have a big enough balance to get a check for accummulated earnings till (and including) December (as does another member of this board who told me by ICQ and has the same problem) : however I've yet to see a deduction on my account to say they're preparing a check (the other member also has this problem).

Last time, this happened on the 15th or 16th, so I figured it should happen by now.

I did message CJ, and got a response, but it seemed like a "form" response of their payment dates.

Anybody ?

------------------

[This message has been edited by WildComputer (edited 01-22-2000).]
Old 01-22-2000, 09:23 PM   #3
Arn

Cool

Hey WC,

Last month, CJ also seemed "late" in posting the deduction from our accounts for payment... but I ended up getting the check on Dec 29th or so. So, I have full confidence it will be sent soon. I'll let you know when I get a check.

Oh, I just checked my "last payment" stat... and it says 12/23/99. So, it should be anyday now for this month's payment.

arn

[This message has been edited by Arn (edited 01-22-2000).]
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2000, 03:11 AM   #4
serrow

Cool

where xactly is that statistic?

I am well above the 25 for the past 2 months, and i want to know when i can expect payment?
serrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2000, 03:28 AM   #5
fairhousing
Member.

Talking

cj has always been confusing to me, hard to navigate. as for payment, they've always paid me on time. http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2000, 08:34 AM   #6
WildComputer

Cool

OK just to follow up, and explain in more detail what I'm talking about.

(A) First off the deduction thing:

1. According to CJ they deduct on either the 15th or 20th (depending on which page your read on their site).

2. According to their "form" e-mail that the tech support sent me...they start the payment process on the 20th for the previous month.

3. When I got paid before (November was my first time), the 31 October Balance got deducted from my account on about the 15/16 November. The check for this amount arrived a few weeks later (took a little longer than I expected).

4. As of today (Sunday 23 Jan), no deduction is yet shown in my account, perhaps it will come soon.

5. I am not worried, etc. as CJ are tracking my balance correctly, seem professional, have a good reputation, and paid me previously. My issue is to better _understand_ how they work. This is primarily for my understanding, but also so I can explain to Hits4me.com members, and members of my webmaster's ezine, proper, accurate information.

(B) Speculation/Thanks Arn

1. From what Arn says it sounds like it takes a few days for the deducation process to run. I guess they have so many affiliates that it takes some time...thanks Arn...

2. **SPECULATION** : CJ have a lot of affiliates. I seem to recall reading somewhere they were aiming for (or have) 1 million. I'd presume then the "deduction" process is totally automated. Perhaps they only deduct the moment a check is printed. Printing this number of checks is bound to take some days to get through. Reading between the lines of the form e-mail I got from tech-support, it could be read such that this is implied.

3. Additional **SPECULATION** : I know they have been doing various upgrades. I suppose that it is possible that this has slowed them down.

(C) My Personal situation

1. As mentioned previously this is only my second check due from CJ, and I got my last one fine. I have my payment amount set quite high (and I'm using non-CJ sponsors mostly), so I expect to only reach the payment amount for alternative months or so from now on.

(D) Other

1. Another reason I need to understand CJ better: As mentioned on other threads on this board, I am currently buying traffic and leads using clickxchange. I would consider doing the same thru CJ, but due to the high setup costs, and the cost in my time - I would want some real insight into their processes before I even considered proceeding.

2. Can anybody shed any light on the rounding errors referred to above (I also saw that somebody else posted a message about this to the CJ message board). I'm not really bothered about this as it's only a couple of $, except for the issue of understanding them properly.

Ok that's it for now

------------------
Old 01-26-2000, 12:20 AM   #7
Arn

Cool

My stats now show the most recent "withdrawl" which took place on 1/24/00.

So, the check should be coming.

arn
Old 01-26-2000, 12:44 AM   #8
WildComputer

Cool

Thanks Arn - so does mine

Anybody figured out how the rounding works ?7 I'd really like to know that.

------------------
Old 01-29-2000, 12:15 AM   #9
Arn

Cool

Hey WC,

Something came to me about cj.com. A while back, my stats did a $30 drop in one day... and I emailed them about it...

According to CJ.com, merchants can correct for unqualified leads - for example - nonesense email addresses etc... If you look back far enough, sure enough these corrections show up in your stats. This could easily account for the $2 flux you noticed.

arn
Old 01-29-2000, 06:54 AM   #10
WildComputer

Cool

It could be this, but I don't think so. I definitely think it is some kind of rounding problem.

Basically at the moment, I am seriously promoting Exchange-it ($0.50), CJ ($1/lead) and ETI ($10/lead), although I have loads (about 30 or 40) in rotation etc. What this means is that my leads are relatively infrequent. The daily activity page shows like a few of little transactions for $0.01 or $0.05 for clicks, and 5% of my referrals.

The reason I think it's rounding is that the front page stat and the activity summary don't match. Other than this, somebody posted they have seen the same thing on CJ's message board. And finally, I did a stat report for a long period last year. I get 2 different answers depending on how I do it.

Very curious

------------------