Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2001, 02:42 PM   #31
JonPKibble
Member.

I agree, it would be a great utopia for webmasters. While paying a penny or a fraction of a penny wouldn't offend most people - the problem lies in how many will be able to create an account with paypal. Many people still do not shop online, let alone the teenagers without credit cards. For instance out of all the people I know personally , which would represent a pretty technological bunch, most do not do any online purchasing, out of those that have credit cards. Yes a penny or two isn't a big deal but if you are asking someone to deposit $20 into an account that will be spent on visiting websites suddenly it seems like a lot more "a penny here, a penny there.... 20 bucks for surfing the net? No way!"

BUT - if there was a way to add it onto your ISP bill or something - maybe then it would fly. But it all comes down to the initial transaction, getting people to make the transaction that will create a pool of money to pay from.

It is my prediction that this micropayment system will not surface. While it seems like an OK idea I just do not see how it will work smoothtly. (But if it does work all the better!!!)
JonPKibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 03:08 PM   #32
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

I don't think it will surface either.

I think it's workable, but the transaction costs might make it unprofitable.

I do think if the payment system were in place (and widely adopted) that the surfer would be willing to click on the "1/2 cent for access" button. especially if the site put in a cookie and gave them unlimited acess for a week...

You'd be able to surf for quite a while for $.50 or so.