Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2001, 05:51 AM   #1
Kaumil Patel

Question Opt In Email Marketing?

Hey,

I was thinking... Optin email marketing hasn't suffered as much... i was thinking to make a optin email marketing service... do you think it would fly off the ground for at least some profit and expansion?

------------------

Kaumil Patel
RewardsPark.com - Play At Our Park, Win Rewards!
FreewareWorld.com - Your One and Only Stop for Freeware!
Old 01-26-2001, 07:19 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Perhaps. Keep in mind that there already exist a great number of competitors in that field, in terms of both mailing list providers (LifeMinders, ZMedia), database leasers (PostmasterDirect), mailbits-style recommendation programs, etc.

There is a market there, certainly, but carving your own niche could be quite a battle. Then again, if you're ready for the challenge, I'm sure you'll find plenty of support here.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads: Get More Hits. Make More Money.
www.net-ads.com
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 08:54 AM   #3
Kaumil Patel

Unhappy

Hmmm..

Alright, we'll since i've got that information in my head.. i'll re think it over http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

thanks!

------------------

Kaumil Patel
Old 01-26-2001, 01:40 PM   #4
gbrott

Unhappy

Those companies each have 5,000,000 plus names, can target down to the zip code, have giant sales staffs and multimillion dollars software systems.

Want to compete with that???
gbrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 02:42 PM   #5
musicinsight

Unhappy

Considering that there are people around here who keep asking about the viability of starting up their own ad network, and others that I've seen who were considering a banner exchange (how cute - remember them?), I'm sure some whiz kid is in his basement at this very moment, creating the ultimate Opt-in email network.

------------------
Webmaster Resources - http://www.websavvy.org/
musicinsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 03:18 PM   #6
suresk

Unhappy

Just because there is considerable competition doesn't mean there isn't a chance for you to get your share. They key is to find something that the current guys aren't delivering, aren't delivering properly, or charge too much to deliver. Sure, they may have a lot better infastructure and millions of dollars in equipment, people and knowledge, but that only makes them less likely (and able) to change. The larger you get, the harder it becomes to react quickly to market changes.

If you feel you have a chance, I'd say go for it! Let me caution you though: If you are just seeing what they are doing and thinking "That would be easy to make $$$ with." Then copying them, you probably won't be able to do anything. There is ALWAYS room for innovation, but rarely is there room for copying a successful business and hoping to compete with them http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Good luck!

------------------
Spencer Uresk
spencer@uresk.net <A HREF="http://www.dailystarts.com" TARGET=_blank>
Daily Starts</A><A HREF="http://www.celebgrams.com" TARGET=_blank>
CelebGrams</A>
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 03:26 PM   #7
Kaumil Patel

Unhappy

See, I wouldn't need amazing support staff to get it off the ground, offer nice rates to both memebers and advertisers, give them free targeting.. and we are already beating the competition in a way.

I have an advertising network up and running, we dont' charge for targeting, still we do not see any advertiser interest.. is it because of the economy slow down?

------------------

Kaumil Patel
Old 01-26-2001, 07:27 PM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

You can only blame so much on the economic slowdown. A great deal has been said here about the fact that the tech crash has left a desperate online ad industry in its wake. Many of the problems experienced by the larger networks are a direct result of their growing too large, too fast. That's why we're seeing layoffs and undersold inventory.

I'm not familiar with your ad network, but rather than conceding to poor economic conditions, I'd recommend that you analyze your systems. How are you promoting the network? What incentives or technology do your offer that would appeal to advertisers?

Here again, you're competing with the big boys, but simply offering a low-cost solution and expecting advertisers to come knocking isn't going to cut it in 2001. You must sell yourself, and fill a gap that potential advertisers are looking for.

------------------
Czar
www.net-ads.com
Old 01-27-2001, 05:32 AM   #9
Kaumil Patel

Unhappy

Czar,

I see... we aren't even accepting new members at this moment, because we do not even need more impressions.. we have 13 Million network wide impressions and we're having trouble keeping up with that. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

Altho, we are accepting advertising sales agents to work from home and bring us advertisers and we'd give them piece of the pie.

------------------

Kaumil Patel
Old 01-27-2001, 08:22 AM   #10
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Huh?

I'm confused http://geekvillage.com/ubb/confused.gif.

I though you were asking for an explanation as to why you're having trouble finding advertisers, not publishers.

I apologise if I've offended you somehow.

------------------
Czar
www.net-ads.com
Old 01-27-2001, 10:49 AM   #11
Kaumil Patel

Unhappy

No No..

i wanted information why i'm not getting advertisers! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif.. Publishers will always come no matter what.. its the advertisers that bug me!

------------------
Kaumil Patel
www.rewardspark.com - Play At Our Park, Win Rewards!
www.freewareworld.com - Your One and Only Stop for Freeware!
Old 01-27-2001, 03:19 PM   #12
gbrott

Unhappy

Why aren't advertisers interested? 90 + % of all the ads go to the top 25 sites, and the rest of us fight for the rest. Look at how the stocks for all ad supported techs are down - even yahoo can't sell their inventory.

How big is your sales staff? What kind of contacts do you have within the ad buying industry?

I recently spoke with one of the top 5 ad agencies recently about repping our site. Despite our site and targeting ability, the only sites that really sell well are established brands, especially offline brands that are online....

I could go on, but that is the state of things....don't get your hopes up just yet.
gbrott is offline   Reply With Quote