Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2001, 07:38 PM   #1
PWR_Paul_Banker

Exclamation USA Today Prints Story on Popup Ads

There was a story in the Monday issue of USA Today (front page of the Money section) dealing with popup advertising.

The article mentions how websites are turing to popup ads because banner advertising is dying (like we didn't already know that http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif) It mention's x10's popups, and that company is now #5 on the Media Metrix top50 list. According to the article, x10 offers visitors a way to stop the popups (???) since they get so many complaints. Dave Hitrys, of "The Pop Up Network" (lol) says "The aggresive deployment of pop-up ads is a sign of how aggressive the survivors are trying to be."

The article notes how companies are taking new approaches to advertising, including direct mail and TV-like commericals. Apparently, a study of 2000 consumers found that only 1/4 like internet ads (read: banners), but 1/2 like online streaming ads (that mock TV commercials.)

Unicast, a streaming media company, is making deals w/ McDonalds and Coca-Cola for streaming ads on the net. Yahoo will begin utilizing popup ads soon (read: this week.) Allie Shaw of Unicast said "You will see a lot of new formats popping up because so many people are looking for the quick fix." The article closed going on a diatribe about how popups eat up bandwith, slow down downloads, and crash systems. There is a pending lawsuit against AOL regarding their use of popups.

[ Well I hope you found that informative http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif Comments are appreciated. Sorry if there are spelling/gramatical erros, its midnight and I'm in a rush http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif ]

------------------
Paul Banker
Webmaster/Reporter
AIM: PWR Banker
http://www.purewwfrage.com

[This message has been edited by PWR_Paul_Banker (edited 06-25-2001).]
PWR_Paul_Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 07:48 PM   #2
Ralph Slate

Unhappy

I wonder how much Unicast paid for that research. How many of you like those Unicast ads, and actually watch them -- or are you like me, where I try and close them ASAP?

Ralph
Ralph Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 08:09 PM   #3
Guava

Unhappy

Personally I don't mind the Unicast ads. Most are pretty entertaining and unless I'm in a hurry, I usually watch it atleast for a few seconds to see if it interests me.

------------------
Guava
NetMongol.com Free E-Mail @YourDomain.com
Keep 100% of the Banner Space! For only $10 per month
NetMongol Affiliate Program Paying $5 per sale and then $2 per month after that
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 08:47 PM   #4
mcsebraindumps

Unhappy

I've never seen one of the Unicast streaming ads, can someone post a link to an example?
mcsebraindumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 10:51 PM   #5
dot_com

Unhappy

Here are all there ads.. http://www.Unicast.com/superstitial/gallery.html#

What do you figure these big company atcually pay to have these ads ran on a network?? it must be a Fairly High CPM
dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 01:24 AM   #6
a1022

Thumbs up

I think these ads are great and should be signs of things to come. Now all we need is a network that supports such ads that pay reasonably. Hopefully a good company such as FastClick or ValueClick could get some big name sponsors to run these ads. Let's cross our fingers.
a1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 02:57 AM   #7
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Engage has offered support for Unicast Superstitials for about a year now, though many publishers who added the code to their properties can verify that they had a hard time pushing the format to advertisers.

Since the format is designed specifically for those players who are more interested in making branding plays than receiving tangible online leads, it's quite likely that most campaigns will be reserved to run on only premium sites (ie Media Metrix leaders, DoubleClick and 24/7 Media's branded properties - 24/7 recently signed a contract with Unicast to support their product).

Most small-medium sites will have to continue relying on standard popunders for the time being.

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote