Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2001, 05:22 PM   #1
SGA

Thumbs up The future of Internet Ads (my idea)

I think the future of Internet Ads should have the look and feel of the Unicast SUPERSTITIAL®. The only exception should be the elimination of a closing box. I feel these ads should be just like TV in that if they do not wish to watch it they can go to another site (switch TV channels). They should be unable to simply close the box and keep viewing for free. The only way they should be able not to view the Ad is to leave the site completely. I feel my content is good enough that this type of Ad would be extremely effective. The Ads should be no longer than 15 seconds long and appear after about 2-3 minutes at the site and every 10 minutes there after. I would be willing to be the first site testing the waters with it. The Unicast Ads are new and exiting. I would like to try them. However, like all the other Ads, the Unicast Ads will slowly lose its effectiveness if advertisers continue to measure performance simply on CTR.

Please post your opinions
SGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 07:55 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

It's not an altogether bad idea, but I don't think that it should work in quite the same way as television. For one, people are used to seeing this on television, and thus are less likely to throw up their arms in anger when the ads start playing. Secondly, television programs are written/designed to end with a 'hook' before cuttin to an ad. This makes it less likely for their audience to switch off, or change channels while the ads are playing, because it offers some sort of gratification once the program returns.

If the system was timed, therefore, there would be no guarantee that your visitors are 'hooked', and they may leave. Also, since the Internet encourages interactivity to a degree unlike any other medium, this type of interruption is far more distracting. Imagine how irritating it would be if you were duking it out in some Shockwave game, or carefully crafting your next Geek/Talk comment, and an unclosable ad popped up in front of you for 15 seconds.

There are ways to handle this that are more effective, though. A few free ISPs incorporated full-screen ads into their business models. Whenever one of their members logged on, they were forced to watch an ad or two before being allowed to surf. This could be incorporated into a site in much the same way as micropayments or subscription models, such that in order to enter a particular area or in order to download a free screensaver, your visitors are forced to watch a Unicast-style interstitial.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 06:01 AM   #3
SGA

Smile

I like the idea of being forced to view an Ad before allowing to surf the site. This could work, because if you have a good site they will understand that if they want to view for free then they have to see the Ad. Also I think newbies may be more inclined to watch because of the unknown. Thinking I wonder what this site has to offer, I will watch this ad an see. Czar lets start our own agency and use only these types of Ads. They would be fully animated like the Unicast and be required viewing in order to surf are sites. It would great because it would be like a subscription site with the advertisers paying the bill. What about Phatstart you think they would be interested in doing something like this with their new agency? I will be willing to be one of the first sites trying it. I get about 15,000 uniques per day. Thats a start!
Old 03-10-2001, 01:23 PM   #4
Questy

Lightbulb

>> I feel these ads should be just like TV in that if they do not wish to watch it they can go to another site (switch TV channels).

>> I like the idea of being forced to view an Ad before allowing to surf the site.

If you are comparing your advertising to radio and television, you need to uderstand that even in radio and television advertising the bottom line is not how many people potentially see or hear the ad, but how much an ad campaign increases sales.

In TV, when an ad comes on, I am not really forced to watch it. I can change the channel during the commercials and come back when the ads are over. Likewise in radio, I know that "commercial blocks" usually last 2 or 3 minutes, so I can tune to another station listen to a song there and return.

How both TV and radio have coped with this is two fold. On the front side, if your programming is so unique or compelling, the listener or viewer won't channel surf because they don't want to miss anything.

On the back side, advertising has been increasingly more creative, as agencies try harder and harder to create ads that people enjoy.

I think the internet has a long way to go on programming quality. There are a ton of websites all having the same "programming." The website owners will be pressed to come up with more quality sites, and have to do a better job of selling this quality in order to get above average pricing for advertising.

From an advertisers perspective they will slowly realize that they need to improve the quality of their advertising. (Aren't we all really tired of "cookie cutter" ads!)

>> "The Ads should be no longer than 15 seconds long and appear after about 2-3 minutes at the site and every 10 minutes there after."

Should this technology catch on, at some point the market will dictate the time schemes. Once again taking lessons from the radio and TV industries, when a new station or network starts out, it often has a low percentage of advertising, that it has sell for a low price. The number of ads, as well as the price, varies greatly from market to market.

Ah, that brings up another point that has not quite yet caught up to "net" advertising, and that is a very varied and complex rate chart.

I see a lot of folks in this forum from time to time talking in numbers for net advertising rates as if they were "industry standards." Other media has a much more complex rate deviation. While the potential number of customers is one influence, other factors include what the market will bear. Influences on these factors are items such as; how many other sources are there for the same type of advertising, the market influences of the geographical areas where the ads will run, and overall economic cycles.

Whether it's exposures, impressions, viewings, click throughs, or whatver else you use as your gauge, I see a much broader scale tied to other factors, being used in the future.

Getting back to my orginal comment, with all this being said, the bottom line is not how many people potentially see or hear the ad, but how much an ad campaign increases sales. Good internet advertising agencies will have to show "real" examples of not merely how many people saw the ad, but how the ad actually had an impact on marketing a product.

Going back to the original question, "what is the future of Internet Ads", I think many of the lessons learned by other forms of media, are very slowly being learned by business. I also thing the failure of major "dot coms" will also cool the market for traditional businesses to use internet marketing as much as they may have.

The other variable, as bandwdith increases in some areas of the world, while not others, the challenge of the WWW staying a place for true World Wide commerce will become even more challenging.

I think we have quite a roller coaster ride ahead in at least the next few years to come until this all settles.

I know I've gone off on my "advertising 101" sermon, just thought I'd stir up some thoughts for today! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

"Questy"
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 02:56 PM   #5
SGA

Unhappy

From what I understand the technology for these TV like ads are already in place, where you can determine how often they pop.

My whole thing is that viewers should not be able to close them. That is to easy for them. If I could close the commercials when I am watching "Friends" so I could get right back to the program I would, but that option is not availbile. No matter if you change the channel you still have to wait the 2 minutes until the commercials are over until you can get back to veiwing the show. Most people are lazy so they just watch the commercial because it will still take 2 minutes until "Friends" is back on anyway.

As far as effectiveness, these new uncloseable Animated TVlike Internet Ads that I am proposing will just as effective as TV for branding and just as easy to track the performance.

Like I said I beleive my content is that good, so I will not worry about veiwers going esle where on my commercial (popup) breaks. Besides if this type of new advertisng would force webmasters to make better sites, well it could be worse. We could get more ****py sites that were just made to turn a buck unstead of providing any useful content.

Sorry I too got on my soapbox, I do not mean to offend anyone.
Old 03-10-2001, 08:40 PM   #6
RoadRash

Unhappy

gorp.com is running a TV type popup ad for nissan, basicly a 350 x 350 window pops up with a 30 second flash comercial, it looks just like a standard TV comercial, zooming in on the truck, works flashing on the screen, music, voices ect... It got my attn, and i watched the full 30 sec, then closed the window when it was done, it was really cool, it didnt bug me at all, i kept surfing the site, and only got the popup once, and only when i was about 5 pages into the site.

RoadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 11:04 AM   #7
SGA

Thumbs up

Where do I sign up for these Ads????
Old 03-11-2001, 11:33 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

SGA, Engage presently supports the Unicast SuperStitial technology, though they don't seem to have many advertisers utilizing this. For a few weeks now, I've been delivering 1000s of pageviews on pages loaded with this code, without resulting in a single popup. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 12:51 AM   #9
Questy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by SGA:
Besides if this type of new advertisng would force webmasters to make better sites, well it could be worse. We could get more ****py sites that were just made to turn a buck unstead of providing any useful content.

We should be so lucky! I hope it does push a few webmasters to see that in the end content is king!

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadRash:
It got my attn, and i watched the full 30 sec, then closed the window when it was done, it was really cool, it didnt bug me at all,
Another case of advertising becoming more creative, with the ads that people enjoy actually being seen as part of the entertainment.

This technology will be interesting watch!
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote