Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-1999, 09:16 AM   #1
WildComputer

Default Dumb CT questions

1. I have a new site under construction. When I want to CT as an affiliate, do I join separately for the new site ?

2. I want to launch my new site with a CT pay-per-lead affiliate program. Therefore I want to become a CT advertiser. However once I'm running I want to terminate my advertising (and concentrate on earning money). There are therefore two questions on this.

(i) If I invest $1000 in the advertiser account, and pay $0.25 per lead [don't worry leads will be easy I will be offering a free service], how many leads does this pay for
- is it $1000 X 70% = $700/0.25 = 2800 ???
- if it was $500 it would be 1400 ???
- if it was $5000 it would be 14000 ???
IS THIS HOW THE MATH WORKS ??

(ii) When I decide to end my advertising campaign (I only a need & want a few hundreds or possibly few thousand leads max), can I just close my advertiser account and transfer the funds into my affiliate account.

3. If I'm a pay-per-lead advertiser presumably I have to stick something in my pages to track the leads. Is this just a fragment of HTML or something, or will I have to do programming.

Can somebody with CT-advertiser experience please explain

------------------
40% commission on software sales:
www.wildcomputer.com/free2fax/affiliate.htm

WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-1999, 09:20 AM   #2
WildComputer

Oh and

4. Is it possible to offer varying amounts per lead, depending on what's in the lead ? My leads will be web sites that want to use my services. Ideally I'd like to pay more for sites with Toplevel .net or .com names, and less for free sites or sites in other domains, say like $1 for a site with a .com or .net name, and $0.15 for other leads.

------------------

Old 08-07-1999, 12:32 PM   #3
jester
Member.

1) probably a good idea

2) yes your maths is correct.

3) They will provide you with the little script that you need to insert to track leads.

4) Not sure, but believe this is possible.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-1999, 05:10 PM   #4
fairhousing
Member.

it's an absolute yes to all

------------------
Isn't it time you started making some real money with your web site!
www.birminghamnet.com/cgi-bin/links/pages/WebmasterResources/MakingMoney

fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-1999, 10:59 AM   #5
jmackin

1. 3076 leads. That's at $0.25/lead + the commission. BTW: that's a relatively low amount for even easyleads, especially when you consider the impression/clickthru/lead conversion rates. ClickTrade requires leads to pay out at least $0.40 so the affiliate's get reasonably good value.

2. If you run your affiliate program via the same ClickTrade account as your advertiser programs, then the money is automatically rolled over. You can either deactivate your program or give it an expiration date.

3. To track leads it is a simple HTML fragment, in the simplest case.

4. Yes, you can pay different amounts for different types of leads. Our sales support folks (ctsales@nospam.linkexchange.com - remove the nospam ;^) can help you with the options available here. Keep in mind that $0.40 minimum, however.

------------------
ClickTrade Project Lead
jmackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-1999, 12:53 PM   #6
WildComputer

Sorry can I just add a couple of things that occured to me on the drive home

1. At $0.40 (which is I think actually $0.52 when you add 30%), I will probably be loosing money fast. I need to do some maths (which is hard as I don't have any data to start from for a new program)

2. I think you should leave it upto the advertiser and affiliate to determine what's a fair price per lead rather than impose an artificial lower limit. If you are worried that affiliates are not getting fair value for traffic - then you should publish the overall "Clicktrade wide" conversion ratio for each per-sale/lead offer.

What counts is not the amount per lead, but the amount per lead times the conversion ratio. Sure some offers pay $25 per lead, but does anybody care if only 1 in 10,000 clicks leads to a lead.

Anyway based on $0.40/$0.52 previous comments, I shall almost certainly be using another program for my pay per lead program

------------------

Old 08-16-1999, 11:54 PM   #7
WildComputer

jmackin you work for CT right ?

Can you answer a couple of questions

Is the $0.40 new ? I've been getting $0.11 per lead for a program (actually one I like) right up until now

Incidentally $0.40 seems a surprisingly amount. Many regulars on this board happily run CyberGold (on Websponsors) and other similar offers places for $0.25 per lead

Thanks for the previous reply, it is appreciated

------------------

Old 08-18-1999, 08:45 PM   #8
jmackin

I agree with your point about letting the market drive the payout structures. We met today and dropped the minimum payout for a lead. Thank you for the suggestion.

------------------
ClickTrade Project Lead
jmackin is offline   Reply With Quote