Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2001, 04:22 PM   #1
OC

Unhappy Using pop up & pop unders !!!

I have a friend who runs a site that receives (according to Extreme Tracking) 20-30 thousand page views a day or 3-5 thousand unique visitors per day. All of his traffic is almost evenly spread out among his pages.

This user currently has a one-cent-per-click sponsor up and is not too money motivated (his site is hosted on a free server like FortuneCity).

Should he be tempted to just go ahead and add the $3 CPM pop up (from PopUpTraffic.com) on every page? Should he be tempted to just go ahead and add the $2 CPM pop under (from PopUpTraffic.com) on every page, too?

$5 CPM is tempting him, since he'd be making any where from $100-$150 ($5 x 20,000 to 30,000 page views).

What's the general consensus?

Yae or nay?

I think pop ups on every single page is excessive. It seems as though the normal banner CPM companies are down the tubes right now.

OC
OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 04:29 PM   #2
OC

Question

Also, what CPM company options would he have? It's basically an animated gif site but not quite. Rated G.

On second glance of his stats, I'd say he gets anywhere from 120,000 to 160,000 uniques per month according to Extreme Tracking.

OC
Old 02-13-2001, 04:45 PM   #3
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

Your friend should NOT use the popups and popbehinds on every page.

The popup pays for every unique IP in a 12 hour period.

The popbehind is the same way but we have started using cookis to show different ads, but if it pops 5 times to the same surfer he will not get paid for all.

Not to mention the surfer will get PO'd.

http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Robert from SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 04:57 PM   #4
wsz

Unhappy

First, he will likely need to get a regular domain name, since many sponsors require this, and don't like sites on free space providers. Some, like FastClick, may also have mechanisms to make sure that the ads are only being pulled from the domain that the publisher told them about, to prevent placement of ads on sites that haven't been reviewed by the network.

I suppose the thing to do with that is to set up a domain on paid hosting, with all the site content, and have some type of redirection from the current free space version to the new version (be sure to include a visible, "This page has moved - click here for the new location," link.)

I would say that having a pop-up or pop-under appear on every page during a visit is too much. FastClick sends the visitor a cookie with the first pop-under, which prevents them from getting another one when they click to another page with the pop-under code on it. If you overload the visitors with pop-ups/unders, they may decide to leave after the first couple of pages, and to never come back. Also, if you apply with ad networks, their reviewers may be annoyed by the excessive pop-ups/unders, which could reduce your chances of acceptance.

It sounds like there is enough traffic to qualify for numerous banner networks, although there are still the issues of compatibility with their advertisers, and the fact that they may already have a lot of unsold inventory available, etc.

------------------
Web Sponsor Zone - Internet Advertising Directory
http://www.websponsorzone.com
Earn Money With Your Site
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 07:19 AM   #5
OC

Unhappy

Most of his traffic is indeed the same people coming back every other day... I told him about the pop ups. At least now I have a thread to show him. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I'll see what I can do....
OC