Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Google Search Engine and AdWords
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 04:01 PM   #31
kryton

waiting..................... must be just a few hours now.....................
Old 03-06-2003, 05:22 PM   #32
Gracklor

I must say that as someone who isn't nearly as "Google-ized" about this as most of you all, I must say that seeing this must excitement about a search engine crawl is funny and odd at the same time.

However, in the past year, after seeing how much traffic search engines can deliver to a site, I must say that I think I understand things a little.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:04 PM   #33
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default The dance has started!!!!

One second link:yahoo.com shows 642,000 links then next it's 692,000.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:34 PM   #34
brian 2468

yep..........long wait hope it is worthwhile.........
Old 03-07-2003, 12:43 AM   #35
Guava

www.google.com shows link:www.yahoo.com at 642k
www2.google.com shows link:www.yahoo.com at 692k

I haven't seen the primary show the higher numbers yet and that's where it matters.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:57 AM   #36
AhmedF

While searches are also showing up the new ODP listings, the actual directory is still not update!
Old 03-07-2003, 12:15 PM   #37
Nintendo

Cool

:::I haven't seen the primary show the higher numbers yet and that's where it matters.

But you can look at www2 and www3 to see what changes happened to your listings and see how many new links you got!!!! I'm allready looking at a pageview record at my vBulletin board, thanks to the 1,800 new links, so it is increasing visitors even if it doesn't show up in www. Might of appreared for a few hours there and then changed again, the reason it's called a dance.

Last edited by Nintendo; 03-07-2003 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:55 PM   #38
Timo

Quote:
Originally posted by Gracklor
I must say that as someone who isn't nearly as "Google-ized" about this as most of you all, I must say that seeing this must excitement about a search engine crawl is funny and odd at the same time.

However, in the past year, after seeing how much traffic search engines can deliver to a site, I must say that I think I understand things a little.
lol

Pure pavlovian reponse/reward theory in action. Its almost as bad as stats checking.

What an interesting thesis this would make for an MBA student. Study "on line rank and stats checking addictions" amongst webmasters based upon intermittent rewards of traffic and money.

Old 03-07-2003, 01:08 PM   #39
Steve_S

<begin_decalf>

Yes, if you see a different number of back links in www2, www3 etc then during the next 3 to 5 days some if not all will find their way into www. For example: free-webmaster-tools currently showes 280 back links in www and 492 in www2 etc. Last night it was over 600 in www2. This makes perfect sence as it took freshie some time to navigate down to all of the pages. Natch, this is dynamic in nature and can and will change from day to day.

Imagine the complexity of this task which may help explain the dynamic nature for the next 3-5 days: BILLIONS of pages to recalculate a new PR and in some cases but not all figure out where a given term ranks (appears) in a given search aka serps. Across over 1000 Google servers.

Use Ryan's tool at: http://www.google-dance.com/

Respectfully, I find some of this rather funny. My advice, for most of us (not all) is just keep producing fresh content and Google will take care of the rest. Play by the rules and Google will do it's thing. On the other hand, if you are a real SEO pro, a lot of money is at stake so go crazy or if you are a Geek and love this stuff, have fun.

Edit: Amen to Timo and Gracklor. Last night I counted over 300 posts on another Board which basically said nothing as in "Yea" and although this may be just dandy for some, I still find it somewhat "comedic" in nature and YES, I understand the importance.

<take the Quiz>

</end_decalf>

Last edited by Steve_S; 03-07-2003 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:14 PM   #40
kryton

Have any of you noticed any migration into www.google.com from www[2,3]?

I have when I check through my US proxy, but here in the UK the initial dance has just started with different results on www[2,3] to www.

I'm also noticing bursts in traffic stopping and starting from Google. This wait for Google to settle down is just as bad as waiting for the dance to start. My nerves are on edge. I think I'll just go to the pub and hope for the best.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:12 PM   #41
Nintendo

:::Have any of you noticed any migration into www.google.com from www[2,3]?

Yes, for atleast an hour last night www had the new resaults, then this morning for a short time I saw them again on www, then last time I looked it didn't. That's why it's called a dance, because it keeps changing!!!

:::On the other hand, if you are a real SEO pro, a lot of money is at stake so go crazy or if you are a Geek and love this stuff, have fun.

And also go crazy if you've done a lot of Google stuff over the last month, like me!!!! I have yet to ever give a penny to SEOs. This dance added about 1,000 new links to my store sites, and the 1,870 new links to my vBulletin site. I'm going to love the next dance even more!!!

Last edited by Nintendo; 03-07-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:07 PM   #42
jokearound

I love google - put up a new site on jan 31st - freshbot was all over it the next day..the deep crawl took almost 30,000 (!!!)pages.

its now showing in the index (dancing index), and im getting a good few thousand per day just from the partial traffic. cant wait till next week, and the full traffic stats come in!
Old 03-08-2003, 01:03 PM   #43
Steve_S

Arrow

As of this post, all my back links for 2 sites have propagated into www.google.com from www2 .....etc In both cases, they look accurate with a nice pop/increase on my newer site.

And you?
Old 03-08-2003, 02:32 PM   #44
AhmedF

Wow joke .. what 'new' site did you put up with 30k pages?!?
Old 03-08-2003, 06:16 PM   #45
Nintendo

Right now I'm seeing my new links in all three www's but it's been changing a lot. Just an hour ago it was in www2 and www3 but not www.