Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Google Search Engine and AdWords
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2003, 06:28 PM   #16
Kathy

See, I keep pondering similar questions in my head.

I just was in my vb templates...looking at these possible changes. Will my almost 24,000 members fuss, sending me lovely email when their links no longer help them stay logged in?....(for those that haven't enabled cookies)

And will this provide better placement than my first page #2 position on google, that I currently have for my niche, #1 for the niche with an additional defined word, # 1 for the niche with a different word....?

Since the issue is link popularity, will this help rank my site higher? (since i can't go much higher)

I remember the days of Alta Vista where they spidered everything and their search engines proved useless to me. I would type in what I thought a very specific search and get a gazillion pages to wade through. Will it help target those links? I wonder if this is why Alta Vista isn't my favorite choice today to search. I use google because the results are limited and very specific to my search.

Inquiring minds want to know

Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 06:32 PM   #17
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

I wouldn't have the answer for these boards for very many keywords, but using my own site, I think I could make a lot of examples after the next dance starts, when I can see what keywords get people to any of my 1,535 or more pages that it deepcrawled.

If some one enters: "Learn the secret here" in the search, then this board is #2.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search

(I'm guessing this is a freshbot link.)
Old 02-21-2003, 06:54 PM   #18
AhmedF

Steve, its about encompassing everything

Lets say I search for some crazy combo, like 'burstnet fastclick making money'

It is possible that one of your threads had those four words in it, and thus you could be first, you could be third page.

But its better than being no where!

Nintendo: Its very simple. Best of all, it creates a double link to every single post in your message board, increasing the chance of getting your message board indexed.

All I know is that my archive AND my message board have been indexed .. DOUBLE whammy
AhmedF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 07:32 PM   #19
Nintendo

:::Will my almost 24,000 members fuss, sending me lovely email when their links no longer help them stay logged in?

I have yet to get a single complaint. On the page that comes up if your not loged in where it requires you to be loged in, it has simple step by step instructions to enable cookies for both Netscape and IE.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:14 PM   #20
kryton

wow I've noticed you have got rid of the session ID, is there anyway to get rid of the s= from the URL since it is now redundant?

i.e.

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=20196

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=20196

google would probably prefer the latter in my experience.

<EDIT>I know nothing about VB boards, but is there any way to put a H1 tag at the top of the page? Google loves H1 tags as much as it does text in an inbound link.</EDIT>

Last edited by kryton; 02-21-2003 at 11:21 PM.
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:20 PM   #21
jokearound

after you have got rid of the $s bit, you could then enable "multiviews", add a bit of code to showthread.php and then edit your scripts to link to a new style url :

http://www.yourdomain.com/forum/showthreads/104858.htm

now THATS a spider friendly url!

there is a tutorial on sitepoint if you want to learn how. im thinking of writing one myself to put on my site..ill probably get around to that soon, with code examples.
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:23 PM   #22
kryton

Quote:
Originally posted by jokearound
http://www.yourdomain.com/forum/showthreads/104858.htm

now THATS a spider friendly url!
yep...... jesus jokearound I thought I was the only mad person in the UK still up at 4:30am, I've just got back from the pub what is your excuse?
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 12:33 AM   #23
Nintendo

:::is there anyway to get rid of the s= from the URL since it is now redundant?

Yes, look at the first and third post in this thread, if your using vBulletin.

For the 'link farm' script that I use, look for this part of the code, at about the end of the script.

echo "<a href='$siteurl/forumdisplay.php?forumid=".$row["forumid"]."'>".$row["title"]."</a><br>

You can get the script at
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...threadid=45374

:::Its actually a dynamic generation of your vBB, complete with permissions [so then when you are in archive, you can even access restricted forums].

What's the URL to get the script? scriptz.com looks like a site with nothing there.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:43 AM   #24
AhmedF

Oh

its on vb.org by 'skuzzy'
Old 02-22-2003, 01:16 PM   #25
Steve_S

Thanks GEEKS.

Check this out to see the archives at work. About 7 down is Tim and a few above is moi

What happens when vB 3 is released which is reported to have SE friendly URLs as a new feature?

Edit: The hack is at:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...threadid=47087

Last edited by Steve_S; 02-22-2003 at 01:20 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 04:37 PM   #26
Nintendo

:::Nintendo: Its very simple.

http://www.vgchat.com/html_version/

Good greef!!!!!!!!!! Was that easy or what!!!!!!!!! Two minutes and BANG, it works!!! Oh well, atleast now I'll get double the enjoyment, double the gum, er wait, double the listings in a month or so!!! I thought you had to go in to Telnet and make changes in the server to do mod-rewrite stuff!!!!

It's also another way to make money. Put pop-ups there!!!! The person who made the script said he makes $10.00 a day this way. Pop-ups would be a great way to get the visitors to the main part of the site and you make money at the same time!!

So if any one is worried about geting bombed with e-mails from people who can't post because of no cookie, do this trick instead!!!!
Old 02-22-2003, 10:02 PM   #27
AhmedF

I know the guy who made it .. actually helped him with it

It works great ... just put a linky to it somewhere on the front page, and google will chew it up!
Old 02-22-2003, 11:32 PM   #28
Nintendo

Cool

Trust me, I have. The link shows up at the bottom of EVERY file, in the footer area. If you want to be extremely brave, you can use this to make a lot of pages for every thread and board. .html, .shtml, .htm.

I'm only made one set (.shtml), but if you make more, try to have the header and footer very different each time do the pages arn't exactly the same each time.

The only down side that I might have with it right now is the REMOTE_ADDR that it gives out. In my simple Googlebot log, for every visitor, it gives out my servers IP address instead of the visitors IP address, so I'm not sure if it will notice the Googlebot when it finds it.
http://www.vgchat.com/html_version/google.txt
The log script works fine on the main part of the boards.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:01 PM   #29
Steve_S

To mod_gzip your archive edit index.php At the very top insert:

Code:
<?php
global $nozip;
$nozip=1;
ob_start("ob_gzhandler");
To create a more friendly URL for the spider edit the topic file like this:

Code:
echo "<center><b><h1><font color=black>$thread[title]</font></h1></b><font size=3 color=black><b><<< <a href=$forumurl/showthread.php?threadid=$thread[threadid]>CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE THREAD</a></a> >>></b></center></font><br><br></center>";
Note: This last edit produces the exact same kind of URL that Dr. Nintendo did with his session hash template edit.

To force the spider to visit your real Forums for the thread and provide an exstra measure of protection comment out the following lines in the topic file:

Code:
### Commented out next 6 lines on 2-23-03 which removes post from archive
// while ($post=$DB_site->fetch_array($getpostids)) {
// if($post[userid]==0) $post[username]=$post[postusername];
// echo "Posted by: <b>$post[username]</b><br><br>";
// echo bbcodeparse($post[pagetext]);
// echo "<br><br><hr><br>";
// **

Last edited by Steve_S; 02-23-2003 at 09:06 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 09:29 PM   #30
AhmedF

Ahh ... the gzip addition was good