Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Technical Questions about geek/talk
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2001, 03:00 AM   #1
sdarken

Default Time Zone of Geek Talk Host

Steve - Just curious. I thought that you are hosting this site on the east coast (U.S). Why is it that the post times are 8 hrs ahead of Pacific Time (U.S)? This suggests that your server is on U.K time. (I apologize if this question has been answered somewhere else.)

- Simon
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 09:32 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

This doesn't answer your post directly, but it's a side issue that some Geeks may not yet have explored.

That is, within your member control panel, a huge variety of customization features are present - including the ability to set the board to whatever time zone you wish. I'm seeing posts in Australian Eastern Standard Time, for example, while others may be on Pacific Time to remind them of the long-lost UBB.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 05:40 PM   #3
sdarken

Thanks Czar. That's a nice little feature. I have been accustomed to seeing the post times in Pacific time and I didn't like the default time zone.

I'm beginning to see why people like VBulletin so much.

Last edited by sdarken; 07-22-2001 at 05:41 PM.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 06:33 PM   #4
Jan

Administrator

I still have a problem in that Central Australian time isn't accurate (It is 9am here right now, but the time on the BB says 10am) . I mentioned it to Steve when we were testing. His suggestion was that I move to a time zone that was accurate

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 07:26 PM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Some additional info on time zones:

1) The BB script does not automatically adjust your time for daylight savings so on your location you will have to adjust it.

2) It only works in one hour increments. Sorry, move to San Diego, CA and we can do lunch

3) The dedicated server that this BB is located on is set to EST which is what showes in: http://66.33.83.213/last_25_posts.html

4) I do plan to change the server date and time to PST which I think may require an adjustment in your member control panel which I hope you have bookmarked

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 07:54 PM   #6
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Hi Steve,

I know you didn't ask for a vote...or for opinions, for that matter... but considering the international 'flavor' of this community, how about using Greenwich Mean Time for the server setting? (It makes me cringe a little when we North Americans act like our 'stuff' should define the rest of the world.)

BTW, I'm having a blast pushing all the buttons on the new BB. Thanks for the new toy! It's fast and it works beautifully!

Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 08:07 PM   #7
Steve_S

Arrow

Rhea wins the cutest Avatar award for today

Actually I agree with your thoughts but I ain't writing the code and that kind of hack is very very complex stuff.

You should see the todo list for 2.1 or what can be assumed to be the todo list

Neat stuff. So in the sceam of things I like the idea very much but like any commercial product we all need to live with an "almost perfect product" and some of the stuff already on the list is really cool like I think this will make it into the official code:

A community mailer that pushes what you want to read directly to your in box. You opt-in and tell the script what you want to read and once a week or whenever the little geek runs to admin and sends GEEK Rhea her content which is different than the next subscribers content I figure 6 months for official code for this. No hacks yet for this BB as I stated before untill the dust settles
Old 07-22-2001, 08:32 PM   #8
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.
Smile

Hi Steve,

It's a flying pig, in case you were wondering. Thanks for the compliment!

I do appreciate that you have a ton of work to do with the new BB and that some things you'd probably love to do are out of reach in terms of time right now. And...I hope you're remembering to sleep and eat, and I hope you're having fun , too!

BTW, what does it mean when a thread is preceded by the word "Sticky"?
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 08:56 PM   #9
Susan

A "sticky" thread is a thread that will always be at the top of the forum whether it has new replies or not. Handy for informational posts like this one, forum rules, Announcments that only apply to one or two forums etc.
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 09:02 PM   #10
Steve_S

My todo list must have 50 items on it. It just takes time and some things are way down on the list and thats life

I was waiting for some smart geek like YOU to ask what a Sticky is.

Team Geek can force any thread to the top of a forum via this feature. It just stays their for years and years

It must be used with discression and it's a given that some members won't like it. They of course can start their own webmaster BB and talk to me after 75K posts Iv'e studied how others use it.

I used it in Webmaster Issues for the Virus thread since thats really important stuff that members might miss with the scroll rate. I also changed the name of the thread. When the issue is resolved then we release the sticky and it rolls into the bit bucket.

I also used it in our Test Post Forum for a really important note about post counts in this Forum. I won't answer the question if it arises. Just point to the topic with a link.

Where this issue gets really tricky is weather you do an Announcement which has an automatic roll off date that we don't even have to watch vs a sticky which requires manual intervention. It's far to early for us to see which one of the two get read more often but I have a way to test this which will remain secret please I also have a way to make these kind of things a bit more obvious and can even progress to being obnoxious if the proper percent of folks aren't reading these things. Step by step till we see how this plays out.

Outstanding question
Old 07-22-2001, 09:05 PM   #11
Susan

Heh Steve....beat ya to it. We've renamed our "Sticky"'s to say "FYI:" and I've seen other VB's that have renamed them "Important:"
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 09:17 PM   #12
Steve_S

Great thoughts Susan

I like them
Old 07-22-2001, 10:51 PM   #13
Kathy

/me waves at Susan.

The other cool thing about changing the name of the "sticky" is that you can change other words easily...its called the variables.
You can tell it to switch words from one word to appear as another. Its a fun way (if you are so inclined) to censor words instead of with *** as with real words that aren't quite so offensive. THere are a few words we change that are inflammatory on our VB that we turn into nonsense words when they appear. It can be quite entertaining to say the least.

Another cool thing about the "sticky" is that when you are through with the sticky...you "unsticky" it...and it falls down into the pile of posts based on time/date stamp.

VB is very very cool.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 11:11 PM   #14
Jan

Administrator

hey Kathy about time you showed!!! Where ya been?

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 09:21 AM   #15
Kathy

I visited my daughter in college about 3 hours away and took her shopping. Funny thing about daughters. They know what day payday is (I'm a teacher) and she always manages to invite me the day I get paid. That's my girl! Smart, isn't she?
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote