Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Technical Questions about geek/talk
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2001, 10:11 PM   #1
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow View geek/talk a different way

Hi geeks

Our page at http://66.33.83.213/last_25_posts.html has a new addition. It displays the last 25 posts/threads from geek/talk. Sorted by time and that would be EST for this server. Each link takes you directly to the last post in a given thread.

I'm still playing with some of the options but this is tight enough to help you "see" geek/talk in a very efficent manner.

It's destined for some place on this BB but it will be a few days untill I have time to work on it. Perhaps a POP via a link?

I'm not sure. It's very nice

ENJOY!

Last edited by Steve_S; 07-22-2001 at 01:42 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 10:26 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Beeeeutiful feature Steve.

Have you even slept yet?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 11:04 PM   #3
Steve_S

sleep. Whats that? Thanks

BTW, I just tweaked it again. It displays the Forum name as one link and next to it the thread title link which zaps you to the last post

25 is a bit overkill but that number sounded like a nice place to start.

George might even approve
Old 07-22-2001, 12:15 AM   #4
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_S
sleep. Whats that? Thanks

BTW, I just tweaked it again. It displays the Forum name as one link and next to it the thread title link which zaps you to the last post

25 is a bit overkill but that number sounded like a nice place to start.

George might even approve
the name Kevin/tubedogg come to mind

cool just need to change the colors to make it more readable

you could also do 2 or 3 php includes listing 3 or the main forums or category of forums for each include

probably webmaster, money making and site promo forums?

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 12:35 AM   #5
LastActionHero

A suggestion and a question.

First the suggestion. The same feature is on the main geekvillage.com page and it still points to the old UBB board. I suggest you replace it by the links which point to the new boards.

Now a question.

Will this board always be at this IP address or will it be moved to something like geekvillage.com/forums in the future?
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 01:21 AM   #6
Steve_S

Arrow

George likes it!

I can take a day off </joke> Unlike some geeks, I have exspressed my appreciation in public to the author. Go lookie at the hack post.

When you hear from me that http://66.33.83.213 has propagated to geekvillage.com/forums/ you will be all set. That is a few weeks away however. Our current IP will not change.

If you get lost think www.g17.com

The old board is on a different dedicated machine which is about 3500 miles away from the dedicated server that geek/talk currently lives on.

Those links will stay up for a while because of external links and SE issues.
Old 07-22-2001, 01:37 AM   #7
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_S
George likes it!

I can take a day off </joke> Unlike some geeks, I have exspressed my appreciation in public to the author. Go lookie at the hack post.
saw that

make sure you check this hack in netscape browsers too since i read some configurations of this hack show up in weird ways in netscape

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 03:12 AM   #8
Steve_S

been their and done that George

Just after tweak number 11 and before your post

More N strangeness to contend with. Goes left in 4.75 and cell borders in 6.01 looks just dandy in IE 5/5.0

It's just a few hours old. The kid needs time to learn to walk and talk.
Old 07-22-2001, 05:51 AM   #9
jemma

Location: New York City: From Ground Zero to Ground of Heroes

Steve_S wrote: More N strangeness to contend with. Goes left in 4.75 and cell borders in 6.01 looks just dandy in IE 5/5.0

Hi Steve, the BB looks great, and thanks to you and everyone who got it up and running! I've viewed it through a number of different browsers, and it seems to look fine all the way back to IE 3.02. (some spacing differences in the various IE versions, but still very readable and functional).

Things were OK for me with Netscape 4.75, but it did dither some colors on the avatars, so they're not as clear (viewing with 16 million colors). Columns and widths don't line up as neatly as IE, but that's not unusual because NS can be picky about displaying tables. I haven't looked yet with NS 4.76, and think you're brave (or crazy ) to have installed NS 6 - I've heard it's incredibly buggy.

That's OK, I know I'm really the crazy one - getting involved with so many browsers.

Jemma
jemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 02:47 PM   #10
Steve_S

Thumbs up

jemma,

Much thanks for the browser checks. Valuable stuff. It's actually N 6.01 which is the latest final release of the product. Previews of any flavor are a non event for me since that's really Beta and so much can change. I was aware of the N issues but chose to be kind and call them "cosmetic"

I have a seperate machine for these things. My work machine uses N 4.75 which is so much faster than 6.01

How about Opera?

Exact version number and thoughts?

NO, we won't do the telnet prompt or any other variant of a Linux browser please
Old 07-23-2001, 12:13 AM   #11
jemma

Location: New York City: From Ground Zero to Ground of Heroes

Steve_S wrote: I was aware of the N issues but chose to be kind and call them "cosmetic" ...I have a seperate machine for these things. My work machine uses N 4.75 which is so much faster than 6.01

I've got the older browsers on my old laptop. I use a lot of nested tables when designing greeting cards, and only discovered the wide variation in browser presentation by accident. I use an enhanced notepad to code the webpages, and when I started, it never occurred to me that the HTML wouldn't look the same in each browser (or browser version).

That said, on my site, the number of Netscape users have been steadily going down to relatively few. Though it's a pain to make the card design work correctly in different browsers, as long as there are a few users, I'll probably continue to fuss with NS - if for no other reason than I hate to give in to an IE-centric web world!

Jemma
jemma is offline   Reply With Quote