Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
theguy

Default Sounds too good to be true

someone sent me an e-mail asking if he could buy my mailing list
for 1$ per each e-mail address so i said i have 6000 e-mails so he arranged an escrow service to pay $6000
using www.escrow.cx

it seems to me it's a company he owns as well and he is trying to convince me he actually did pay me which he never did.

anyone did get such an e-mail?
is escrow.cx a legit company?
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
Elemental Thought

Definitely sounds a little odd. I did a lookup on escrow.cx, and this is the WHOIS data I got:
Quote:
Registrant Information:

Domain Name: escrow.cx
Creation Date: 2003-01-05 21:03:40
Expiration Date: 2004-01-06 21:03:40
Last Modified: 2003-01-20 20:16:53

Nameservers:
STELLAR.HITRUST.NET
GALAXY.HITRUST.NET

Registrar: CITC (http://www.NetDNS.cx/)
Whois Server: whois.nic.cx
No information on who the owner is at all, or any contact information. The creation date isn't that old either. The link to their terms on their website doesn't work. And what's with all those company logos at the bottom of the site? They don't link to anywhere... doesn't the verisign image usually link back to some sort of explanation about what verisign is?

I'd be very wary. There is some contact information listed in the Company Profile on their site... you might want to phone and see if you get a real person. You could probably also phone some sort of records office in London and see if Escrow.cx Inc. is actually an existing business entity, as they claim to be.
Elemental Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 05:34 PM   #3
acventures

This is definitely a ****. I also was approached by someone to sell my list (22k reg'd users) for $1/each. They wanted me to use http://www.secure-trader.org which happened to be registered the day before I was sent the request. More and more of this is happening, request only payment thru known places like the real Escrow.com

Chuck
acventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
Just some Webjunky

sounds like a Sc@m to me.

Last edited by Just some Webjunky; 05-25-2003 at 06:09 PM.
Just some Webjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 01:13 AM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Yup. It's an increasingly common ****. Even made it on to an Oprah special (don't ask ). Some poor guy lost $US50,000 in an escrow account setup by a con artist from whom he thought he was buying a BMW.

Probably not a good idea to sell a mailing list anyway, but that's another issue for another day.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote