Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2001, 05:12 PM   #1
kerplunk
Member.

Thumbs down Depression Post

Oh the depressing days of online advertising. The economy is slowing, everyone is angry at low rates, no one wants to advertise. I also saw on TV that the actors are going to go on strike (probably) -- They said that'll be a $6 BILLION loss to the economy.

This ***** , when will things get better?!
kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 05:18 PM   #2
zMan

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by kerplunk:
I also saw on TV that the actors are going to go on strike
Maybe my brain is not working so well right now, but what does actors have to do with 'online advertising' and what's their reasoning to go on Strike? Am I missing something here...? http://geekvillage.com/ubb/confused.gif

------------------
zMan
zMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 05:26 PM   #3
kerplunk
Member.

Unhappy

That will effect the economy and make it go down which will hurt online advertising even more.
http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif
kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 07:15 PM   #4
Borga

Unhappy

$6 billion is a drop in the bucket to the U.S. economy, really.
Borga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 07:35 PM   #5
Doc

Unhappy

Things will turn around eventually...they always do! Keep your chin up. (that's my attempt at lifting you out of depression http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif)

Seriously though, it's only a matter of time.

------------------
ProfitsToGo.com - Insightful reviews of top webmaster programs.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 09:45 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

...and those who survive will benefit from having fewer competitors and greater experience in regards to running a tight ship.

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 09:52 PM   #7
Guava

Unhappy

haha, Actors going on strike? As if they are skilled workers? Actors striking is no big deal, we just get to see some new faces on the screen. Saves the producers money too!

------------------
Guava
MailFire.NET Premium E-Mail Accounts
Paying affiliates 67% per signup ($4 and $13 for the different memberships)
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 06:04 AM   #8
BrianClark

Unhappy

Actually, the strikes do have something to do with online content and online advertising (I'll keep it brief since this is nearly-off-topic for this list.)

The actors are striking, really, in support of the Writer's Guild strike. One of the key elements that the WGA and the entertainment industry are fighting over is the written word on the Web: the WGA is looking for the promise in their contract that only WGA members (ie, union writers) will be hired by entertainment companies to write for the Web. This might not affect you directly, but it sure does me ... it would basically mean that I personally (and most of my staff) will have to join the Guild to keep our entertainment industry contracts, which are completely online.

The actors are pushing for something similiar -- if the photos of actors are used in websites that aren't "sheerly promotional" (ie, the one-and-two-page website **** that the entertainment industry puts out as fodder) than the actors should get a cut of the income of the website (no matter what that source is.)

Yes, there are some other issues on the table in these strikes as well, but Internet rights (and whether the Actors Guild and Writers Guild authority spreads into cyberspace) are one of the lynch-pin issues.

Ok, off topic post completed ... for the truly interested, check out a site like Inside.com for the seemingly daily coverage of the impending strike (since November of last year, no less ...)

Brian Clark
President, GMD Studios
BrianClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 07:36 AM   #9
Ralph Slate

Unhappy

Could this be a positive thing for web advertising? Imagine if the actors go on strike -- no new programming. So what will people do? They'll spend more time on the internet. Or maybe the advertisers will at least realize that advertising on all-reruns isn't the best thing in the world, so they'll start funneling some of their funds to the internet.

Ralph
Ralph Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 07:41 AM   #10
JakeJeck

Unhappy

I totally agree with Ralph.
JakeJeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 09:40 AM   #11
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

RE: This ***** , when will things get better?!

kerplunk,

You might wish to read the following thread where we all voiced our predictions:
http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005158.html

Ditto to what Doc said. Chin up please. If you have a long term view of the net our current financial climate is nothing more than a short term correction. I know this doesn't help pay your costs but perhaps it helps all of us see the big picture.

To answer your question: first quarter of year 2002 is my best guess. Things will get even worse before they get better. Natch, these are just my opinions so I hope I'm wrong. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

HTH and good luck.

------------------
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief/Janitor
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant." -Horace
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 10:55 PM   #12
mp3next
Member.

Cool

i got a great idea lets all make another section of geek-talk, it could be called the depression section where all the webmasters can complain about all their problems... like i.e

john smith (nickname: bubba)

hey everyone i just spent last night in a ditch after getting drunk and crashing my into one... i'm ok now... i wish my sponsor would pay more i've been running from the repo man...

http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
mp3next is offline   Reply With Quote