Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2000, 07:59 AM   #1
Tyme

Unhappy Security

I am just learning programming, so apologize in advance if this is super stupid question. I also want to apologize for my typing...I sprained my hand and I am suprised how much typing I have done in these forums today. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

You may remember from my previous posts that I am switching my sites from cgi to php and that I did it just when my web hosting company decided to upgrade mysql.

Since I am learning php, I have been looking at different open source scripts to aid in the learning process and I am concerned about security.

It is easier to implement when you have your own box. I asked the web hosting company (for one of my domains) what they had in place and he assured me that it was as secure as it could possibly be. Yet, he suggested, for example my forums, having them in their own sub-domain because if someone can make hacks to add to the code, someone could hack the code and cause havoc.

My question is if anyone puts sections with sub-domains for security reasons or if anyone has security problems with php/mysql? I want to know if this is a legitimate concern, or if the web hosting company is trying to make a few bucks. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks!
Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote