Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2004, 12:03 AM   #31
JustSurfing

Ok, then on the infects link with the popup method, what type of work is needed to implement it. Does it just create the pop on every link or do you have to manually go in and add code (like fastclick's interstitials) to every possible link? I don't want banner links clicked to force a pop, since that violates the TOS normally.
JustSurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:14 AM   #32
sameer

Sashman,

I'm a bit confused by the comment you have left for budsinc on the publishers page

"Works, but not many appropriate pops"

I don't exactly get what you mean "not many appropriate pops".

Thanks
Sameer
sameer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:41 AM   #33
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by JustSurfing
Ok, then on the infects link with the popup method, what type of work is needed to implement it. Does it just create the pop on every link or do you have to manually go in and add code (like fastclick's interstitials) to every possible link? I don't want banner links clicked to force a pop, since that violates the TOS normally.
The script automatically goes through the pages link objects and assigns an onclick function that launches the stored popup when it is clicked. You don't need to to anything.

It's a good point about banner clicks and pops. Luckily, I haven't seen a banner in a long time that wasn't in an iframe. Any links in iframes aren't effected .. Only what is on the page proper.

Last edited by Sashman; 03-05-2004 at 12:44 AM.
Sashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:07 AM   #34
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by sameer
"Works, but not many appropriate pops"

I don't exactly get what you mean "not many appropriate pops".
The way the system functions is fairly dependent on how standard the popup code is. While a few of BudsInc brokered pops work correctly, most are served in iframes (which doesn't work in the system) or are autodownload pops. You would get some benefit out of the system with BudsInc, however, not nearly as much as some of the other networks. I probably should have noted that standard internet' popUPS (which are now mostly modelless) would not give much of an increase either, although their popunders would work fine.

It would be nice if there was a scale of sorts, as even the networks listed as worked/tested have various shades of gray. For instance Revenue.net gets about a 21% increase in pops while Casale Media gets about an 18% increase on testers systems. I tried to put systems that would get at least a 15% improvement in the worked/tested catagory. I would hate for someone to purchase the tool and see only a miniscule benefit or none at all.

Last edited by Sashman; 03-09-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:21 AM   #35
sameer

Well thanks for the response... I bought your product, now lets see how well it works
sameer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:08 AM   #36
JustSurfing

I assume this works in conjunction with your rotator, or does it include its own rotator?

Also, I already use onclick for interstitials w/ fastclick on outbound links.. can they work in conjunction as well?

ie:
onClick="this.href=FCx(this.href);"

Last edited by JustSurfing; 03-05-2004 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:44 AM   #37
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by JustSurfing
I assume this works in conjunction with your rotator, or does it include its own rotator?

ie:
onClick="this.href=FCx(this.href);"
Excellent questions.

You could either use our rotator, a custom rotator or default chains since the AdOutput Max works independently of the actual code doing the pop. It's basic function is to simply monitor popups called from a page by window.open, and help them if needed.

The code is smart enough to realize there is an existing onclick event on a link. It actually replaces the onclick event, but saves what was in there. If an individual clicked on it, it would run the saved event first, and then the pop event. It then puts the saved event back in the onclick.

There are certain situations where it runs into problems (problems for the pop event and not the saved event). If the original event has a blocking function call such as an alert, it's possible that the popup won't go through. Additionally, if the onclick event has a page relocation, it's possible that the page changes before the popup event has a chance to fire.

If you do happen to see any problems let us know and we'll take care of them.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:48 AM   #38
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by sameer
Well thanks for the response... I bought your product, now lets see how well it works
We'll go through BudsInc some more to make sure we're not missing anything else and put it in the approved/tested with a caveat. If you are using BudsInc, you'll need to turn layering off completely.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:31 AM   #39
jokearound

hmm..I notice that you say to ask permission from the network..I had assumed that the companies listed on the testing page had already given permission, therefore I dont have to go back to them and ask.

is that correct?
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:07 AM   #40
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by jokearound
hmm..I notice that you say to ask permission from the network..I had assumed that the companies listed on the testing page had already given permission, therefore I dont have to go back to them and ask.
The code is in agreement with their TOS's as nothing is modifying the provider's code. Only the layer method really needs to approved to the provider as it is a departure from normal popups. SI, Casale Media, FocalEx and Revenue.net are all fine with the layer.

I can see where the confusion lies, and will change that page to hopefully emphasize it better. If you'd like a refund I'd be more than happy to comply. With fastclick thought, running layers only on IE would only improve your impressions about 2%., while 14%+ are delivered using the force method.

Edit : I changed the page to note the last state of agreement with the layer component.

Last edited by Sashman; 03-05-2004 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:10 PM   #41
Sashman

Default A fastclick followup

I talked with Kurt from fastclick and he showed the CTO. They are both fine with the tool (including layer).

Last edited by Sashman; 03-05-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:18 PM   #42
mpgd

I signed up for the program the other day and sent payment, just wondering how long it usely takes before i can use the code.
mpgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #43
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by mpgd
I signed up for the program the other day and sent payment, just wondering how long it usely takes before i can use the code.
Looks like you are all set up. Pop me off an email at support@adoutput.com if you still can't access it.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #44
mpgd

Thanks

The script rules dude , bet you get alot of sales on this
mpgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:05 AM   #45
JustSurfing

Quote:
Originally posted by Sashman
It's a good point about banner clicks and pops. Luckily, I haven't seen a banner in a long time that wasn't in an iframe. Any links in iframes aren't effected .. Only what is on the page proper.
I am using some standard links to some search engine affiliates... two methods I would prefer would be only internal links, not outbound, would cause the pop... Or, some sort of code to bypass the link pops. I'd prefer the first option (internal links) though, because if someone clicks an outbound link, they may get dual pops like an exit pop.. that would hurt performance and doubly annoy the visitor.

Also, is there an option to force the pop only without any sort of conversion?