Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2002, 09:31 PM   #1
david11982

Default Search for image by file size

I am not putting this in the search engine forum because it has nothing to do with getting listed in search engines. I am trying to locate an image using a search engine (the image can be found here: http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~forema...idterm-W02.jpg ). I would like to find a search engine where I can search for an image by file size. I have tried Google Image search, but they only allow searches by pre-defined sizes. I have no idea what this is an image of, so I really don't know what search terms to use.

Do any of you know what this is? I originally thought that it might be an edge-on galaxy taken with a special camera from Hubble. The only clue is that it is really big or really small, and it was taken with a famous viewing device. I have done extensive searches for this, but have found nothing. Now I'm beginning to lean toward the idea that it shows what atoms would look like when they collide. I'm really lost here. Thanks for any help you can give me.
david11982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 11:19 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Doesn't the book Searching & Researching on the Internet, by Ackerman & Hartman, Franklin, Beedle &Assoc., Inc. give you any clues as to where to look?

Okay, I admit, I've just been snooping around your course material for the last few minutes. I'm guessing you're the DM1 Motors guy, not the David behind Viter. Is that correct?

Anyway, I have to admit that I have no idea as to what that image could be, however, unless it's been compressed terribly, I very much doubt that it's an image from Hubble.

The un-natural colors perhaps hint at an AFM or STM microscope at use, or something infra-red, but other than that I'm stumped.

It's a pity. Lycos used to have a fantastic multimedia search tool, but shut it down a few months ago after stories started to emerge that script kiddies and other rogue elements were abusing the tool to snoop out unsecure data files and the like. AlltheWeb's image search is moderately useful, but doesn't allow you to define sizes.

Anyway, best of luck. You've elevated my curiosity, and I've love to know what you come up with.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 07:32 AM   #3
david11982

Good guess on the DM1 Motors. Part of the course is making a website, although all we really had to do is copy the format he gave us (in .jpg form) with html. Oooooooooo, very hard (lol). If you check out one of the links on my "home page" you'll see I've also made a page using frames. This is a pretty rough course . But this image search is really starting to bother me, and I'm not sure what I'm learning about searching for information on the internet.

I will keep you posted when I find (or the professor tells everyone) the answer. I guess it's back to Google image search for me. I'll try looking for more stuff on microscopes. By the way, does anyone know of any microscopes that might be considered a "famous viewing device". I think that little clue may be causing more harm than good.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:41 PM   #4
david11982

A new clue has emerged. Apparently the "viewing device" is named after someone famous. Anyone know of any telescopes/microscopes/spectroscopes/camera/etc named after a famous person?
Old 10-21-2002, 05:36 PM   #5
Jan

Administrator

Isaac Newton?
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 08:47 PM   #6
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Mind you, I'm no physicist, but I think what we're looking at is something very small. Could it be a a beam of light passed through a prism, or series of prisms?

Atom smasher? Quantum-thing-a-majigger? Spectrophotometer? Named after the dubious, but quite influential Spectros dePhotometer, of course!
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:09 PM   #7
sdarken

I think it could be an example of what you might see after you've been "smackereled" by Chet.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 11:20 PM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

I'm no physicist either, which explains why I'm so clueless about this.

In any case, what if you were looking directly down upon a prism, and the beam of light was coming from a source underneath (behind) the prism. Or above? Would that create this type of effect?

I really wish that the images weren't broken in the following document:
http://zeno.as.arizona.edu/~lknutson...k/Chap_15.html

Anyway, if not Newton, the device could have been named after or created by Galileo. Both he and Newton were pioneers in the study of light, and both used prism refraction and telescopy extensively in their work.

If not small, the light source in this image may come from looking at the sun directly with a spectroscope or some other refraction-based device.

Your teacher must be loving this...

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 10-21-2002, 11:34 PM   #9
david11982

I followed that Newton lead, and before I also explored the world of Galileo before reading your suggestion. I can tell you that those leads got me no where (thanks for the suggestions anyway!). I did finally find the image, and will say that it is something big. I am not going to reveal it until Wednesday, since there is a slight chance that a person in my class might find these forums, and with my college being pretty competitive I cannot afford to give away points to anyone else.

Oh, and another clue. The previous clue about the "famous person" that the device was named after was slightly inaccurate. After finding the answer, I'm not quite sure who the person is that the device was named after. In my mind this person is certainly not "famous", but I'm sure he probably is in the science world. Definately not on the same level as Newton or Galileo. I would look him up to find out more about him, but frankly I'm pretty sick of this assignment.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:36 PM   #10
Czar

Webmaster

Congratulations! You legend you.

(impatiently sending PM )

Old 10-21-2002, 11:44 PM   #11
Jan

Administrator

I'll be patient and wait till Wednesday (which is tomorrow)
Old 10-22-2002, 06:12 AM   #12
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Ooh! Is it a pulsar?

Can we have a tiny hint to hold us over until tomorrow?
Old 10-22-2002, 07:58 AM   #13
Jan

Administrator

Patience Rhea
Old 10-22-2002, 06:06 PM   #14
Rhea

Hmmmph!

Guess I'll just have to sulk until tomorrow.

:sigh:

The pig is impatient, too.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:38 PM   #15
Supermoo

It's been Wednesday here for hours... when do we get to find out???
Supermoo is offline   Reply With Quote