Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2001, 08:14 PM   #1
MrLeN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 36
Default A site review

In the last 3 months, I have made so many templates for my site, that I have honestly lost count. My hard drive is FULL of old designs and content from versions of my site that have been on about 7 different servers, but more recently I have given my site a name: ez0ne.com

I realized that I was losing a heck of alot of traffic with this name because many, (probably most) people were confusing it with ezone.com

So on top of all the changes that I made, I had to completely redesign the site, yet again with the name newezone.com, but I am still receiving traffic from ez0ne.com because both domain names are pointing at the same server.

I originally had a site that was full of SubPortal content, and none of my own. I ditched them. I wont bother going into why, but lets just say that SubPortal is not for me.

That caused another redesign. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I think my ambition to build a site is finally becoming a reality, and not just a heap of jumbled HTML pages that keep getting changes, altered, deleted and renamed.

Now, I have created my newest template, and I sure do hope there is no reason for me to have to change it, AGAIN! I just want to get the show on the road!

Previous reasons for redesigns were, non browser safe colors, non NS compatible, CSS not NS compatible, dropped SubPortal, which 'was' my site actually lol, no image preloaders, poor template structure, causing the site to be difficult to edit, and many more things.

Some other reasons that I have started redesigns are newly found information that I hadn't previously known. When I found out about SSI, I slapped my forehead in the realization that what I had been doing was a complete waste of time. the same thing happened with CSS, and cgi stuff...

Every time I got 90% to completing another template, I learned something that made ne say DOH! I found an easier way, and had to start again! this was all caused because when I started building the site, I had never built a page before. I didn't even know what CGI, or SSI, or CSS is. And I STILL don't know anything about flash, (mainly because my computer is an old 150MHZ, and I have outgrown it, and I have to get a new one). My computer was fine for what I was using it for 12 months ago, and that was just chat, and the game Civilization by Sid Meier. I still play from time to time, but I am waiting for Civ III *hehe* Where was I? Oh yeah...

Basically, I have never built a site before, except a plain HTML homepage which I am embarrassed to show anyone, so I have been learning as I have been going. My advice to people starting out is... LEARN something and READ about stuff BEFORE you start writing a site, or you will find that you will be starting over 500 times, every time you learn something new.

Oh, yeah, and I was going to say before, when I was mentioning the stuff I don't know.. I don't know about PHP yet either. I am kind of afraid that it will be another one of those things that will make me slap my forehead and say DOH! That's an easier way! and I'll have to start OVER again! I don't want to, so I am going to get this site completed before I even LOOK at anything that has the the letters PHP in the heading.

Anyway, the reason for this post, is to find out from people what they think of my site so far. Please look at the code. Please let me know if you know a better way of doing things, and look at the way I have set things out. you really only have to look at one page, because they are all pretty much the same. it just seems to be a rather large bother to edit every single page. I do have the knowledge of CSS, and I am actually very good with it, and I made a 90% completed site with it. Everything was editable from one text document. Tables, borders, text, backgrounds, headings, you name it, I had it in there, but that was until I realized that NS doesn't support 95% of it, and I was nearly going to break my keyboard over my own head! I didn't want to lose the template, so I searched and searched and searched, for a compromise with NS, but there isn't one. I absolutely CAN NOT Stand NS, I hate it with ALL that I am! Even from the bottom of my HEART!

*ahem* twitch...anyway, the template that I have made now, isn't very editable. It has very little CSS, but it DOES work in NS. NS doesn't support table border colors, and I wanted table border colors, so I just made up a pretty looking background in Paintshop, and cut it into a billion TINY itsy bitsy pieces. Then I made a template with just tables, an a squished, and squashed all the little itsy bitsy gifs that I cut up into the tables. It was quite difficult with NS, because if there is nothing in a table in NS, it wont show the background, so I had to make some gifs as backgrounds, and some as images inserted into the tables. For the tables that had no text or content in there. These are ALL the extremes I have gone through to get around NS's incompatibilities with the knowledge that I have, and I know full well that there may be something that I didn't know, and if there is... I will most definitely have to but a new keyboard, so please don't let me know right now.

I have posted 2 billion posts all through the net, on just about every webmaster forum that I could find, asking questions, and reading other peoples questions etc, and I would never have got this far if it wasn't for al the people that suggested things, and helped me out along the way. I always appreciate comments, and I sure do hope I get some comments from this post, which will be pasted into all the forums that I frequent, and is prolly the longest post that I have made LOL

Anyway. I have made this template. It is NS compatible, even the marquee at the top is something that I had to go and find, because NS doesn't support the <marquee></marquee> tag either. I am beginning to wonder if NS will ever support anything! Please let me know what you think.

I DO REALIZE THAT THERE ARE 14 SECTIONS ON THE SITE AND ONLY THREE ARE UP! So, please don't come here and say that I need more content, or something painfully obvious, because I will most likely jump down your throat, and there will be a 600 post flame war.

Please just sort through what is done. The reason that I am asking for peoples comments now, and not when it is complete, is that there would be no point asking for comments if it was complete. I need to know now, before it's too late. I would especially like to hear from very experienced web masters, that can see quite plainly that I am doing something, or certain things the hard way, and you can see that it's obvious that I don't know.

MrLeN
MrLeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 11:10 PM   #2
Jan

Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Beautiful Darwin
Posts: 4,753
Default Re: A site review

Quote:
[i]
I have posted 2 billion posts all through the net, on just about every webmaster forum that I could find, asking questions, and reading other peoples questions etc, and I would never have got this far if it wasn't for al the people that suggested things, and helped me out along the way. I always appreciate comments, and I sure do hope I get some comments from this post, which will be pasted into all the forums that I frequent, and is prolly the longest post that I have made LOL
MrLeN
Why don't you just get the complete site up and running FIRST and then make changes as you go.

You may as well put one of those ugly "under construction" signs in preference to a lot of links that aren't complete as yet.

All the advice you have been getting from the two billion posts is obviously confusing you and filling your hard drive

Get a simple finished product first so that the site is fully accessible.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 05:17 AM   #3
MrLeN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 36
Default My site is too big

There are 14 sections, and there will eventually be hundreds of pages. Your suggestion to complete the site and then ask for opinions is impractical.

I can assure you that I am not "confused". What exactly is your point, may I ask? I welcome all comments, but I can't find anything useful in your reply.

I clearly explained why I am asking for comments 'as' I make the site, as opposed to completing it, and then asking for comments, in my post.

Quote:
All the advice you have been getting from the two billion posts is obviously confusing you and filling your hard drive
If they were all like this reply, yes I would be VERY confused, but they haven't been. I think the only person that is confused around here is you, unfortunately.

You have completely missed the point of my post. You haven't attempted to answer any of the issues that I have outlined, and you oviously haven't looked past thr front page.

Your reply has been a complete waste of my time.

Give me a break!

MrLeN
MrLeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 12:21 AM   #4
Susan
Registered User
 
Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 48
Default

hmmm well...honest criticism of your new template makes me say

1) it takes too long to load your template. Look at paring down the graphics and compressing the HTML. On my cable modem, it took a full 30 seconds before I saw anything but your top banner ad and the pop ups.

2) the sheer proliferation of pop up ads is totally obnoxious. One pop up or pop under would be one thing....a pop up that leads to another pop up on close or refreshes itself every 20 seconds is darned obnoxious.

3) either yourself or one of your ads changed my homepage. If it was one of your ads, lose it before your visitors filet you or never ever come back If it's you that does the home page changing, rethink your strategy. You'll tick off a lot more people than you realize if you mess with their home page.

4) personally, I think you need to rethink your color scheme. The Orangygold/yellow is fine for base colors, but adding lavendar and blue to the mix makes me think of my DD when she was a toddler and thought that it was best to wear "all the colors" in one outfit. Try to concentrate on one or two base colors with shades of those colors to compliment them.

5) Your tables are all smooshed up on the left side of my browser window making a huge blank space (at least 25% of my browser window is blank on 1024X768 resolution) on the right and the left looks REALLY busy in comparison. Try centering your table at the very least or using a percentage on the table.

6) The ads at the top along with your navigation system don't fit into their respective cells. What you're trying to do there calls for an image map.

7) and probably most important, honestly, you won't ever be done tweaking. It's best probably to get the whole design done first and then ask for suggestions. Honestly, asking 1000 different people for their opinions isn't going to do much for you without the site being done. By the time you get it fixed the way one likes it, 10 more are going to hate it and you'll never get a site done that way. If you aren't using SSI or PHP includes for the header, footer, and side bar, do it now and save yourself headaches while tweaking.

HTH,

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 02:38 AM   #5
MrLeN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 36
Default Thankyou very much for your reply...

*part 1*

Another one...

Quote:
Originally posted by Susan
hmmm well...honest criticism of your new template makes me say

1) it takes too long to load your template. Look at paring down the graphics and compressing the HTML. On my cable modem, it took a full 30 seconds before I saw anything but your top banner ad and the pop ups.
I am unable to figure out what has caused this problem. I have specifically designed the site with fast loading in mind. I have asked many people what they think of the loading time, and nearly everyone has commented on the speed of which it loads. The entire graphic set that I have created is 56kb. I have used images that are mosty 5x20 pixels and stretched them across the tables. Maybe you had other programs running, I don't know, but I am quite happy with the speed of which my site loads, as I have already spent many weeks tweaking just this issue, and have had much support and feedback with the final result. Maybe you should have your modem serviced?
Quote:
2) the sheer proliferation of pop up ads is totally obnoxious. One pop up or pop under would be one thing....a pop up that leads to another pop up on close or refreshes itself every 20 seconds is darned obnoxious.
"sheer proliferation"? "totally obnoxious"? "darned obnoxious"? Gee, I am not quite sure how to respond to this. You mention later in your reply that a program has infiltrated your browser settings and is causing the home page to change from your preferred settings. This is usually a trick that porn sites use, but where ever you got this nasty bug from, maybe it is also causing your homepage to change? I don't know, but the only popup that shows up on my site is a Recommend-it popop, and that is set to display only once per visit. I can assure you that it does not spawn extra pop ups, but... considering that it has caused you such grief, I have removed it. I wouldn't want anyone else to be put off by my site in such a darned obnoxious way. I totally agree that popups are of no benefit to anyones site. I guess I just needed the nudge.
Quote:
3) either yourself or one of your ads changed my homepage. If it was one of your ads, lose it before your visitors filet you or never ever come back If it's you that does the home page changing, rethink your strategy. You'll tick off a lot more people than you realize if you mess with their home page.
Oh, here's the bit that I just finished mentioning. I most certainly have not inserted any code that would change your homepage, and there are no pop ups that would do it either, besides recommend-it, which has been removed, because I have the button for it on my site and I think that is quite sufficient. Are you sure that you visited http://www.newezone.com ? I am starting to have doubts. Could you double check please? I think that there is a possibility that you have reviewed the wrong site.
Quote:
4) personally, I think you need to rethink your color scheme. The Orangygold/yellow is fine for base colors, but adding lavendar and blue to the mix makes me think of my DD when she was a toddler and thought that it was best to wear "all the colors" in one outfit. Try to concentrate on one or two base colors with shades of those colors to compliment them.
It would require me a tremendous task to change it. The template is made up of over 60 different images. They are all 5x5 pixel or 5 by 20 pixel images, stretched across the tables. I have already gone through a color crisis, and posted on many forums for what people thought, over 2 months, having gone through more than 10+ redesigns. Most of the time, all I got was insults and complaints...

That was until I used the yellow/ish colors. Practically everyone stopped complaining, and now at least 75% of people actually like it, so I guess that's just your opinion, but I have spent literally hundreds of hours researching what people think of the colors, and redesigning it with what people have said, until I started getting compliments. The site colors will have to stay.

I personally don't like yellow, and would rather use blues/greens or greenish,-blues, but obviously, no one liked the designs that used those colors.

Colors are a very difficult aspect of site design. Everyone has their own opinions and views. However, I am glad that I could enlighten you by being able to make a site that the colors of which, remind you of a "toddler and thought that it was best to wear "all the colors" in one outfit". Charming.

TBC...
MrLeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 02:40 AM   #6
MrLeN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 36
Default

*Part 2*

Quote:
5) Your tables are all smooshed up on the left side of my browser window making a huge blank space (at least 25% of my browser window is blank on 1024X768 resolution) on the right and the left looks REALLY busy in comparison. Try centering your table at the very least or using a percentage on the table.
I do not see that it would affect the operation of the site in any way what so ever. I have not used percentages because I like total control over my site. Percentages are a lazy option, and I would not be able to control the images on the template like I have, if I had used percentages. 70% of my visitors have 800x600 screen resolutions, so that is why I have made my site preferable for the majority, but in such a way that visitors with larger screenwidths can still see the page without any problem. I would hardly say that it's "all smooshed up", rather that there is a 224 pixel atrea on the right hand side of the page which does not contain any information. The fate of the world is not at stake there
Quote:
6) The ads at the top along with your navigation system don't fit into their respective cells. What you're trying to do there calls for an image map.
I am at a loss to understand what you mean. Would you be able to provide a screenshot? I have never been informed of this problem before, and I have comments from hundreds of people, literally. It is possible that becaususe you have a larger screen width that me, you can see a width measurement that I may have left out. I would appreciate if you could eleborate on what the problem is exactly. I am unaware of any such problem.
Quote:
7) and probably most important, honestly, you won't ever be done tweaking. It's best probably to get the whole design done first and then ask for suggestions. Honestly, asking 1000 different people for their opinions isn't going to do much for you without the site being done. By the time you get it fixed the way one likes it, 10 more are going to hate it and you'll never get a site done that way. If you aren't using SSI or PHP includes for the header, footer, and side bar, do it now and save yourself headaches while tweaking.

HTH,

Susan
I dissagree. I will be finished tweaking, and that time is approaching. I have almost removed all browser incompatebilities, bugs and flaws. I can assure you that I will not go back and re edit the template just because someone dosn't quite like the color. I am more concerned with real issues, so far very few of which have been addressed in this thread.

I mentioned why I am asking for reviews "now" in my initial post. I also re-explained this to Jan, but I will mention it a third time, for those that wish to scan topics, as opposed to reading them:"I clearly explained why I am asking for comments 'as' I make the site, as opposed to completing it, and then asking for comments, in my post."

I can't use SSI, because 50% of my site is CGI templated and SSI can not be used. I need to get the design right because I have a Gossamer Threads link directory that has about 25 complicated CGI templates, and CSS. That is one scripts, I have many more CGI scripts that are yet to be installed.

I can't stress how much I need constructive comments, that will help me weed out any problems, because I don't want to have to re edit all of these templates.

I'm gonna cut the **** here. I don't find either of your posts constructive, or helpful in any way. Now, don't get me wrong. I can take criticism, and I am not one of those people that starts crying, just because someone claps their hands and says "BOO", but you have both been a complete waste of my time. I honestly mean that from the bottom of my heart.

You seem to have overlooked what I have asked in this thread, and just rushed to the site to make a list of things that will turn you on, having explained them to me in here without any genuine interest to actually, and honeslty reply to my concerns. There is very little helpful advice in either of your posts. All I can find is an attempt at witty sarcasm, but you have tried to do it in a way where you 'seem' like you are giving me your honest opinion. I can see straight through it, and if that is all you have to to with your life - to browse threads and make sarcastic lists of self opinionated dislikes of peoples sites, then you have a long way to go with your character.

Do you mean to tell me, that out of all the things that you two have seen on my site, there is not one thing that deserves a compliment? I am not asking for compliments, but I find it hard to believe that you two sincerely believe that a site review involves just going to a site and writing a list of things that you don't like, especially when it is presented sarcastically.
Quote:
I would especially like to hear from very experienced web masters, that can see quite plainly that I am doing something, or certain things the hard way, and you can see that it's obvious that I don't know.
In other words, I am looking for better, quicker ways to create my site. I am simply asking for advice from people that know. I always check out replyers sites, for a good indication of the skill level of the person that has replied. I also spend time there to see if there is an idea that I can use.

Do you, Jan, or Susan have a site? I wanted to look, to get a basis to judge your credibility....

Actually, there's no need, I have a pretty good idea anyway.

For anyone else that wishes to reply, I would sincerely like help. I am not asking for anyone to go out of their way. If you have some spare time, and if you are an experienced web master, that can see something that I have overlooked, please let me know what it is. I have developed many friendships and partnerships from people giving honest and genuine site reviews for me and vice-versa. i enjoy the online company of genuine and kind people that wish to help others. I can assure you that any help will be rewarded with my deepest gratitude, and I always return the favor.

I am looking for serious defects, and ways that my site could be edited and improved in a more efficient manner. I am not asking for a list of sarcastic dislikes, that many people seem to like making to get off on, because anyone can go and do that about anyones site, and I don't have the time to have to respond to such people's ignorance.

If you do not have time, I can appreciate that. I would rather have no replies at all, rather than have to respond to people who do no genuinely wish to help others.

I am hoping for reviewers to specifically outline the problems that they see. this should go without saying, but please include your system settings, OS, etc Especially your browser, if you have a browser fault to explain to me.

Thank you in advance, for anyone that wished to offer genuine help.

MrLeN

P.S. *oops* My reply was to long and wouldn't accept submission. I had to split it
MrLeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 04:30 AM   #7
Susan
Registered User
 
Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 48
Default Re: Thankyou very much for your reply...

Quote:
Originally posted by MrLeN
*part 1*

Another one...


I am unable to figure out what has caused this problem. I have specifically designed the site with fast loading in mind. I have asked many people what they think of the loading time, and nearly everyone has commented on the speed of which it loads. The entire graphic set that I have created is 56kb. I have used images that are mosty 5x20 pixels and stretched them across the tables. Maybe you had other programs running, I don't know, but I am quite happy with the speed of which my site loads, as I have already spent many weeks tweaking just this issue, and have had much support and feedback with the final result. Maybe you should have your modem serviced?
Well, I just had 2 other people check the speed of your site. The one on the 56k modem gave up after 46 second and the one on a DSL line said it took him 25 seconds to load your home page. If it's not the size of your page, you may want to look into the latency of your host or the places you're pulling your ads from. Something is slowing it down. Just FYI these people were all located in the US, but in Ohio, Indiana, and Nevada..all on different ISP's (obviously). I don't experience that kind of slow down here or on the site where I'm the asst. webmaster, so I doubt it's "other programs running." My modem's fine, thanks.

Quote:
"sheer proliferation"? "totally obnoxious"? "darned obnoxious"? Gee, I am not quite sure how to respond to this. You mention later in your reply that a program has infiltrated your browser settings and is causing the home page to change from your preferred settings. This is usually a trick that porn sites use, but where ever you got this nasty bug from, maybe it is also causing your homepage to change? I don't know, but the only popup that shows up on my site is a Recommend-it popop, and that is set to display only once per visit. I can assure you that it does not spawn extra pop ups, but... considering that it has caused you such grief, I have removed it. I wouldn't want anyone else to be put off by my site in such a darned obnoxious way. I totally agree that popups are of no benefit to anyones site. I guess I just needed the nudge.
All I know is that when I loaded your site, I got a pop up. After I left your site, I closed the spare ad window and it produced another ad...closed it...it produced another ad...closed it...it produced another ad all for the same site and when I finally ctrl+alt+del to close down explorer, I opened the browser again to find my home page changed to the same page that your ad had been advertising. To insinuate that I got this "bug" from a porn site is quite rude, but I'll just reply by saying that if your site is porn, then I got it from a porn site. I only had browsers open from geekvillage and your site open at the time. I know Steve hasn't been using pop-ups, so guess where it came from?
Quote:
Oh, here's the bit that I just finished mentioning. I most certainly have not inserted any code that would change your homepage, and there are no pop ups that would do it either, besides recommend-it, which has been removed, because I have the button for it on my site and I think that is quite sufficient. Are you sure that you visited http://www.newezone.com ? I am starting to have doubts. Could you double check please? I think that there is a possibility that you have reviewed the wrong site.
Same site...clicked the link in your sig www.ez0ne.com
Quote:
It would require me a tremendous task to change it. The template is made up of over 60 different images. They are all 5x5 pixel or 5 by 20 pixel images, stretched across the tables. I have already gone through a color crisis, and posted on many forums for what people thought, over 2 months, having gone through more than 10+ redesigns. Most of the time, all I got was insults and complaints...


That was until I used the yellow/ish colors. Practically everyone stopped complaining, and now at least 75% of people actually like it, so I guess that's just your opinion, but I have spent literally hundreds of hours researching what people think of the colors, and redesigning it with what people have said, until I started getting compliments. The site colors will have to stay.

I personally don't like yellow, and would rather use blues/greens or greenish,-blues, but obviously, no one liked the designs that used those colors.


Colors are a very difficult aspect of site design. Everyone has their own opinions and views. However, I am glad that I could enlighten you by being able to make a site that the colors of which, remind you of a "toddler and thought that it was best to wear "all the colors" in one outfit". Charming.
Ummm if you're not looking for an honest critical view on your site, why ask for a site review? Especially if you aren't planning on changing anything. I didn't say that I hated the yellow/ish colors, I said that that part was the good part. It's when you add a lavendar bit and blue with the yellows that it doesn't seem to fit...too much going on at once...but once again, to each his own.
Quote:
I do not see that it would affect the operation of the site in any way what so ever. I have not used percentages because I like total control over my site. Percentages are a lazy option, and I would not be able to control the images on the template like I have, if I had used percentages. 70% of my visitors have 800x600 screen resolutions, so that is why I have made my site preferable for the majority, but in such a way that visitors with larger screenwidths can still see the page without any problem. I would hardly say that it's "all smooshed up", rather that there is a 224 pixel atrea on the right hand side of the page which does not contain any information. The fate of the world is not at stake there
First of all, you seem quite intent on being rude. So be it. thought that the obvious pains you've gone through to make it cross browser compatible would mean that you'd like to make it resolution friendly as well. My mistake.
Quote:
I am at a loss to understand what you mean. Would you be able to provide a screenshot? I have never been informed of this problem before, and I have comments from hundreds of people, literally. It is possible that becaususe you have a larger screen width that me, you can see a width measurement that I may have left out. I would appreciate if you could eleborate on what the problem is exactly. I am unaware of any such problem
See http://www.hystersisters.com/susan/headerez0ne.gif

As for the rest of your post, I have to ask why you said "Please let me know if you know a better way of doing things, and look at the way I have set things out. you really only have to look at one page, because they are all pretty much the same. it just seems to be a rather large bother to edit every single page. " and when I suggested using SSI or PHP includes to make your job *easier* you acted like this was totally out of the question. Frankly, it seems like you'd want to save time with the non-cgi pages if you could. SSI and PHP includes do this. I set up Kathy's site with this system about a year and a half ago. It's been a godsend. Surely Gossamer has a header/footer section in their page layout....all you'd have to do is put the code from your include files into the header/footer of gossamer.

I can't speak for Jan, but personally, I find your tone offensive and rude. You asked for a site review. That generally means you're looking for ways to improve your site. If you wanted cheers and alcolades, perhaps you should have titled this thread "come tell me what a great job I did on my site"

As for *my site*, take a look in Kathy's profile. I'm her assistant. I'd say conservatively that about 60% of the layout on the site and boards is my work. Kathy did the graphics and content with some layout and I did the tweaking on the layout, installed and set up the cgi/php/mysql programs and created the include files that power the site's navagation.

If I hated hated hated your site, I could have gone on into the double (triple??) digits about things that needed improving. As you see, I came up with 7 things that in my mind would be improved upon before I released the site in it's "final form". Pardon me for trying to bring up some honest areas of contention in my mind about your layout. I can assure you I won't "waste your time" (or mine) again.
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 05:18 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 9,506
Default

<time for a chill pill>

MrLen, please keep your responses civil, and accept (or ignore) the advice that is presented to you. The two contributors above have been more than helpful, and your defensive (at, at times, offensive) responses do nothing to assist in improving your site, or contributing value to the community.

Starting out in web design is an immense learning experience that draws from a variety of skills as broad as technical programming, mathematics and database administration through to creative art, color theory and psychology. You can only benefit by seeking (and processing) advice provided by others who have experience in this field, as well as from prospective visitors with little to no experience in web development except as a consumer of online content.

Please, take into account the amount of time and concern invested by those above into selflessly assisting you, and do not respond with defensive rebuttals in the future. If anything needs clarification, feel free to follow-up, but don't ever insult a fellow Geek/Talk member who is offering you genuine help.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated co-operation.

And thanks Jan and Susan for the advice you've presented thus far. I appreciate that you could have spent your time carrying out personal tasks, but decided instead to assist others. It's much appreciated.
__________________
Czar

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 05:33 AM   #9
MrLeN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 36
Default I am sorry.

Thankyou sincerely for your replies.

MrLeN
MrLeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 11:41 PM   #10
MrLeN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 36
Default um....

I really should do the right thing and come back here to mention something...

My webhost has just sent me an email. In the email he provided some personal comments, icluding information that my topsites list was spawning popups.

I was completely unaware of this. I believe that they have it set, so that the site owner doesn't get the popups with cookies, but it seems that others are.

I have honestly not seen a popup from that page.

He also stated that one of the popups attempts to reset the homepage.

Sorry, Susan. You were correct, and I am going to remove, or replace the board with something else.

MrLeN
MrLeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Site Sponsorship for 1 Year - Unique Gaming Site - Takers? Desler Archives of old posts from Let's Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell 4 06-14-2001 06:43 AM
WWF news site for sale - popular Voltaire Archives of old posts from Let's Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell 0 03-13-2001 06:09 PM
Site review... (yes, my first one =) aHero Web Design and Webmaster Issues 5 11-27-2000 07:23 AM
Anybody interested in this award-winning site? 1lit Archives of old posts from Let's Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell 0 11-15-2000 03:15 PM
site review for Cool Contests Coolc Web Design and Webmaster Issues 4 07-09-2000 09:26 PM

Please support our advertisers. They ensure our survival.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.


GeekVillage.com is copyright © 1998-2015 Curiosity Cave - Science gifts for clever kids. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.