Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell > Archives of old posts from Let's Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2001, 10:08 AM   #1
fatale

Unhappy 3000+ domains with link popularity over 100

I have this list of over 3000 domain names with 100+ total link counts from five major search engines. It is a result of couple of weeks of running my script that scans whois.net deleted names database (see this thread http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000248-3.html and scroll closer to the middle). I'm selling this script for $200 and I had a lot of requests to try it before buying it. But since it's a Perl script there no way to make a demo version of it without giving it away entirely. And since I already bought too many domains (56, to be precise), I decided to use this list as a demo version of my script.

I'm selling this list for $50, and you have the option to buy the script itself later on for $150 -- price of the script ($200) minus price of the list ($50). Here's the list stats:

Total domains: 3184
Link count >1000 = 154
Link count 900-1000 = 16
Link count 800-900 = 25
Link count 700-800 = 22
Link count 600-700 = 28
Link count 500-600 = 53
Link count 400-500 = 95
Link count 300-400 = 208
Link count 200-300 = 568
Link count 100-200 = 2394

Now keep in mind that this is a raw list. Meaning that some of those domains could be already registered and that link popularity for some of them could be reported incorrectly (some search engines can't distinguish link to foo-bar.com from foo.bar.com, or foo.org from foo.org.uk). In fact I believe most of domains with over 1000 links are from these categories. That's why I don't offer any guarantees of any kind besides that all the names were taken from whois.net deleted domains database and that link counts are reported exactly as they appear on each of five search engines.

Also, this list is in no way complete. I estimate that the script went over about 100,000 domains total, which is less than 3% of what is in database.

E-mail me for details: domains@nikto.net
I accept credit card payments via PayPal to the same address.

------------------
Play online Chess and other games with real opponents.
No additional software to download, free registration, global ranking.
--> http://GameKnot.com <--
Old 01-24-2001, 10:16 AM   #2
fatale

Unhappy

I just wanted to add that all erroneous domain names with dashes at the end and multiple dashes in the middle are already excluded from the list.
Old 01-24-2001, 11:59 AM   #3
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

cool.. exactly how long did you run the script for this list to be produced ?

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers[*]FanBuy.com indevelopment
Old 01-24-2001, 01:12 PM   #4
fatale

Unhappy

I don't really remember. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
I think it was running for about couple of weeks. It could be longer though. I had it running on my server at home in background so I kind of forgot about it, and when I looked at the results file it had over 3000 domains there. I already have too many domains in my portfolio so that's why I decided to sell it off instead.

By the way, I'll probably be limiting the sold copies of this list to 10 in order to maintain its value. So if you want a copy, reserve yours sooner.

[This message has been edited by fatale (edited 01-24-2001).]
Old 01-25-2001, 11:32 AM   #5
fatale

Unhappy

Hmm, only two copies of the list sold so far... I can understand why $500 or $200 could be too expensive for a script that you need to run on your server and then wait for results. But when most of the work was already done for you, and you get a ready list of 3000 domains for $50 and hardly anyone wants it?! Even if the two guys who already have this list went through it and registered a dozen of names, you still get the rest of it. It's not like they would register all of them. Am I missing something?

If I didn't already have over 50 domains in my portfolio... The math is very simple -- you carefully select and register 10 domains. In my experience, it rather easy to find something that will give you 50 unique visitors per day if the domain has link popularity of 100 or more. Actually, it's more like 100 or even more uniques per day per domain, but let's assume you're extremely unlucky. So you get 500 unique visitors per day for your 10 domains portfolio. Now, carefully placed AllClicks link alone will generate you $0.03 per visitor (if the page has only AllClicks links on it, where else visitors will go?). Let's assume you're not very clever about your link and only every other visitor will click on it, so you get only 50% CTR. That's $0.03 * 0.5 * 500 = $7.5 per day. Or $225 per month. And I was very modest in all my assumptions above, so in reality you will probably get more than that. So, basically you can cover your costs of $50 for the list + $100 for domain registrations in less that a month and after that it's all pure profits. You can get a dedicated server from 4webspace.com/tera-byte.com to host your pages and even then make a profit every month. Please correct me if I missed something.

Somebody might point out that eventually most of the links to expired domains will be deleted, but in my experience of owning such domains for over four months now, I don't really see any significant decline in traffic. With some domains it actually grew somewhat because linking sites get more popular with time.

------------------
Old 01-25-2001, 11:59 AM   #6
qword

Angry

With my experience I've got about 10 uniques
for every domain with 30 *unique* links to it.

I've registered about 10 domains so far, grabbed with my cool proggie from whois.net

Still no luck with me. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

BTW talking about the combined links is just plain silly...

Old 01-25-2001, 01:44 PM   #7
Edwin

Unhappy

Fatale,

I don't want to sound critical, but there's another major flaw in your assumptions...

Why didn't you register all the names on the list, if they're that good?

To put it very plainly, if somebody offered me a way of turning $100 into $225 (consistently) in one month, then producing a further $225 a month essentially forever (in Internet time) my very, very first question would always be "WHY TELL ME?"

If it's so great, why aren't you busy turning $1,000 into $2,250 and then $2,250 into $5,062.50 and then $5,062.50 into $11,390.625? After 6 months, if the stock of domain names holds out and you REINVEST all your profits, you'd be making over $125,000 a month (naturally, you'd be owning something in excess of 30,000 domains, but WHO CARES about that?)

I'm sorry, this isn't meant to be a personal attack, but I just can't even begin to understand your logic that you've bought "enough" names if the math really works that well, and you've already proven to yourself that it does... I'd be happy for you to explain it, though!

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/
Old 01-25-2001, 01:49 PM   #8
malis

Lightbulb

Just my opinion, but a few things would concern me about buying that list:

1) I assume you are not selling it out of the goodness of your heart, but instead to try to make some money

2) If I were you, I'd carefully look at those top linked sites before I'd be willing to sell them as part of a list for $50 (how could you not scan the 150 sites with > 1000 links already?)

3) If it were really as easy as you're describing, I don't know why you are stopping buying domains - it sounds like you just couldn't lose money as you describe it

Just my opinion - I know it's possible I'm misjudging your intentions

Rick http://www.webtowns.org/Webmaster_Re...ment_Services/
Advertisement services, rated and reviewed
Old 01-25-2001, 03:10 PM   #9
fatale

Unhappy

qword: yes, I agree with you, "combined" links criteria is not perfect. Unfortunately, figuring out unique link numbers is too time and bandwidth consuming.

Edwin and malis: yep, "why do you sell" is the question I get the most. Even though I know you wouldn't believe me, but I'd still like to say that part of the reason is to try to help others make money too. The other part is that I'm not in this entirely for the money. And as soon as I got enough monthly income from my domains to pay for dedicated server, I would rather focus on developing my real sites (see my signature). I have a very well paying day job after all. Plus, I'm a coder, and that's what I like to do the most -- to program. It's much more interesting for me to sell the script itself, to do modifications to it suggested by users, to improve it, etc. etc. Selling of this list is just my answer to competition who can offer demo versions of their programs and I couldn't.

Bottom line is, I've sold 5 copies of the script and 2 copies of the list so far. All of the buyers are from this forum (Steve_S himeself among them). If what I'm offering was a s-c-a-m or something completely worthless, don't you think you would've heard all about it by now? We all seen comments from unsatisfied customers of certain other competing products, didn't we? http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

And yes, malis, you are right, this list is not a guarateed way to make quick money. You'll have to sit down and scan through each domain name and look at pages linking to the domain and use your best judgement to decide which domain to register. So yes, it does take time and some knowledge about what you're doing.

------------------

[This message has been edited by fatale (edited 01-25-2001).]
Old 01-25-2001, 04:49 PM   #10
GuruChoc

Unhappy

Fatale: "Somebody might point out that eventually most of the links to expired domains will be deleted, but in my experience of owning such domains for over four months now, I don't really see any significant decline in traffic. With some domains it actually grew somewhat because linking sites get more popular with time."

I don't think they will decrese in a hurry, I continually come across pages of no use with links up that are 4 years old and haven't been touched, they are indexed in the search engines fine. Most people don't check links as they should and the links will always stay around. Getting dead sites or bad links removed from the web is harder than getting them in in the 1st place.