Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2001, 12:05 PM   #1
sdarken

Unhappy Amazon - anyone missing 15% sales?

I sell quite a lot of books on one of my sites. Since June 23rd I haven't seen a single 15% commission recorded on any sale through Amazon. Normally about two thirds of my sales of a particular book come through as 15% sales but since June 23rd all sales have been coming through at 5%

Anyone else notice a similar problem?

Thanks
- Simon
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 01:58 PM   #2
firstmark

Unhappy

Amazon shows your site visitors who arrive at amazon a splash page with other suggestions. That will cut down on the 15 % rate. Also amazon lists zstores and amazon auctions for places that books can be purchased used for which you get no commission. This coupled with the end of the new customer bonuses has cut my amazon income to 1/3 of what it was inspite of increases in traffic.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 01:59 PM   #3
firstmark

Unhappy

Check and see if some zstore listing is offering the book you link to at a drastic reduction for used. That would cut your conversions a lot.

Old 07-05-2001, 04:04 PM   #4
sdarken

Unhappy

Thanks for the suggestions everyone but I think the point of my previous may have been missed.

I am still selling as many books as before however instead of getting a large percentage of sales record at the 15% commission rate, recently (since about June 24th) my stats only show sales with a 5% commission.

firstmark - It is possible to avoid the splash page you mentioned. Add "ref=nosim" into your product links as follows:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../youraffilcode

I have been doing this quite a while and have made no changes in this area which would affect the way my visitors view the book at Amazon.

Has anyone made any book sales recently for which they were creditted with a 15% commission?

Thanks
Simon
Old 07-05-2001, 05:43 PM   #5
geekbooks

Red face

Gee, could it be Amazon trying to weasle its Associates out of that extra 10% (again)?

From their operating agreement:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/su...046624-9802518

> The current referral fee schedule is:

15% of Qualifying Revenues from the sale of each Individually Linked Book that, on the date of order, is listed in our catalog at 10% to 30% off the publisher's list price and that is added to the customer's Shopping Cart directly from the first page that results from following a Special Link to the Individually Linked Book.

5% of Qualifying Revenues from sales of all other Qualifying Products (except as noted below), including:
Individually Linked Books that, on the date of order, are listed in our catalog at the publisher's list price (such as special order books) or at a deep discount of more than 30% off the publisher's list price; e-books (in any format) <

<B>are listed in our catalog at the publisher's list price</B> is the kicker ... when Amazon recently announced its free shipping on two books policy, it slashed book discounts, not across the board mind you, but in many cases.

It's entirely possible that your books are now being sold at the list price, which means, ta da, only a 5% commission.

It's just a theory, but what the heck, it's my theory. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers,
Dan

------------------
--> http://geekbooks.com
geekbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 05:55 PM   #6
firstmark

Unhappy

sdarken yes you can add that snippet to affilate codes to avoid the splash page. But is anyone editing 1000 pages of links for that feature? Its too much trouble.
Old 07-05-2001, 05:56 PM   #7
firstmark

Unhappy

Aztec I wonder if anyone has any data about how much these zshop listings reduce affiliate revenue.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:54 PM   #8
sdarken

Unhappy

Thanks for all the additional suggestions.

I think Geekbooks might have solved my problem. I just checked the stats again and since June 24th, the particular book I am particularly interested in has been sold at 0% off, 5% off and 20% off. If fact 14 of the last 15 sales (shipments) of this book have been at less than 10% off. Strangely I currently see it at 20% off. I thought that Amazon stopped their policy of showing different prices to different customers.

When you think about it, Amazon's affiliate payment terms are pretty odd. If they are selling the book at a big discount they (may) pay you 15% commission but if they are getting near to full price for the book, they lower their commission.

For books that are primarily sold through affiliate links where sales are not very price sensitive, they can raise the price of the book and make significantly more profit. (In this situation, their terms are pretty clever. I dont know if I am reading too much into the recent changes to my sales.)

By the way Firstmark there are no zshops selling my particular books so that isn't affecting my sales.

Thanks again for all the help.
Simon

[This message has been edited by sdarken (edited 07-05-2001).]