Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2002, 08:10 AM   #1
ceo

Default Yahoo Mail - LOL - dawn of a new era !

Quote:
Effective April 24, 2002, Yahoo! Mail will no longer provide free POP3 Access or Auto Mail Forwarding to Yahoo! Delivers subscribers..............

Subscribe before April 24th and get the first year of service for just $19.99. That's 33% off the regular service fee of $29.99. .
Gosh !
What do they offer ?
Nothing much really. :
1. access to pop
2. no yahoo sig.
3. 1.5 mb attach. increased to 5 mb

I would 90% have subscribed today if they had to increase the space to 10-15 MB ; )
Now I've to think about this.......

How many of you guys are signing ?
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 10:20 AM   #2
jokearound

I personally wouldnt use it, as its probably cheaper to get a domain name and a very basic hosting package - giving me 5+ pop3 emails on my own domain name..(not that I would do that either, as I have my own dedicated..but still)

I expect that alot of people will go for it though, and net yahoo a large bunch of change..
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 10:51 AM   #3
Edwin

Well, traffic to my email-related discussion forums just hit 1.5x my previous all-time-high (and most of the US hasn't even woken up yet!) so it seems a lot of users are VERY concerned about the changes.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 11:01 AM   #4
darnell

Well it's not like we didn't know this was coming. And more will probably come...

But it may be easier for some users to pay than to change e-mail accounts. Since their e-mail address may be attached to many other services. But who knows. I'm just speculating there.

I say it's better that Yahoo do what is needed to save jobs than continue giving something away.

5 years from now we will look back and see this year as a transition period to paid web services and companies doing what is really needed to turn a profit.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 02:36 PM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lightbulb plan ahead

ditto

Seems to me that webmasters who have a free email address bound to a bunch of lists, services, whois records, etc might wan't to think about either using a real domain based POP3 email account or shopping around for a pay per year web based email service. If you start early you have time to change records.

The thought of having to use and pay for your fav free email account because you don't have time to shop around and change records concerns me.

BTW, this BB has 278 members with posting privileges using either hotmail or yahoo. All of which were grandfathered into our procedures back in 9/00
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 03:32 PM   #6
Edwin

Great point, Steve! If you lose control over the email contact of a domain name, it can get very sticky indeed when you have to change something or transfer the name... you're talking about certified notarized faxes at a minimum, and often even more complex and arcane authentication processes.

There is another huge consequence of this move by Yahoo!: many millions of people will give up their Yahoo! Mail addresses entirely (after all, they have over 100 MILLION users!), potentially dealing a huge body-blow to all newsletter owners and businesses that depend on collecting and monetizing email addresses (in any way).

I would guess that the average mailing list might include 10-20% of members from a Yahoo! Mail address...

The fact that people have to pay for a formerly free service is the very tip of the iceberg!
Old 03-21-2002, 04:13 PM   #7
ceo

Arrow Yes...

Quote:
Seems to me that webmasters who have a free email address bound to a bunch of lists, services, whois records, etc might wan't to think about either using a real domain based POP3 email account or shopping around for a pay per year web based email service.
Steve, that's soooo true.
Goodness, I almost forgot. I have my Yahoo email address attached to over 500 domains and so many many lists.

Geeez, but then I shouldn't be crying over the 19$ charge, now should I ?
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 05:06 PM   #8
havaloc

Default not a big deal....

This is not a big deal like you are all making it. They are only shutting off free POP3 access. Their web based product is still free, which I'd wager a huge majority of their members use.
havaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 05:53 PM   #9
Edwin

Default Re: not a big deal....

Quote:
Originally posted by havaloc
This is not a big deal like you are all making it. They are only shutting off free POP3 access. Their web based product is still free, which I'd wager a huge majority of their members use.
I'd have to respectfully disagree and say that it's the biggest deal (i.e. the most significant news) on the Web so far in 2002.

Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail provide (I would estimate) 30-40% of *all mailboxes in the WORLD*. With Yahoo! slicing free services to the bone and Hotmail [allegedly] going to incredible lengths to intimidate users into paying (see today's breaking story at http://news.com.com/2100-1023-866086.html ) there is going to a seismic shift in the makeup of the Web population.

I imagine that a whole lot of users may essentially give up on the whole "Web thing" in disgust - though it may be hard to believe for readers of this webmaster-oriented forum, I still have a LOT of friends who access the Web from cybercafes and libraries only, and don't even have a computer at home.

They're not web-savvy/keen enough to necessarily go looking for another free email service to replace their Yahoo! or Hotmail mailbox, but I can imagine a lot of them not paying simply because they *don't see the need to pay*.

Last edited by Edwin; 03-21-2002 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:58 PM   #10
gunnar

I just checked, and out of 46,000+ subscribers to my newsletter 6,500 have a yahoo address. If a large ratio of these abandon their email addresses it would be noticable for me, but no disaster. FYI, hotmail subscribers number just above 12,000.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 06:05 PM   #11
darnell

Edwin, I was just reading that news.com article before seeing your post. Talk about a cartel . Looks like the free e-mail services are all "breaking the legs" of people that refuse to pay.

I have friends that are much like Edwin's. But I've noticed that the ones who make more money over time start to pay for web access and e-mail. The more they make, the more I've seen them buy a Yahoo account or high-speed internet access. I've found that to be an interesting trend with my non-geek friends.

I know people who still have not figured out how to change from their old @home e-mail account. But they still pay the monthly cable-modem bill, eventhough they have not sent an e-mail message in months. And they are not very pressed about getting their e-mail account working again.

It's like they just keep the web access around to look up things when they feel they need to or for the entertainment of visitors. I guess it's like paying for cable channels every month and not watching much TV.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 06:17 PM   #12
Edwin

Quote:
Originally posted by gunnar
I just checked, and out of 46,000+ subscribers to my newsletter 6,500 have a yahoo address. If a large ratio of these abandon their email addresses it would be noticable for me, but no disaster. FYI, hotmail subscribers number just above 12,000.
Wow, thanks for that great data-point!

6,500/46,000 is 14%
12,000/46,000 is 26%

That's exactly the 40% I guesstimated in my earlier post

Now (as I already mentioned in another thread) try to estimate the impact if one day both Yahoo! and Hotmail go PURELY for-fee!

This is, frankly, the emperor-has-no-clothes issue in the email publishing world right now: I've never seen anyone take this ball and run with it, even though I've tried to raise similar concerns several times recently in various venues.

After all, imagine the impact on Postmaster Direct, NetCreations, YesMail, MailBits, etc. etc. etc. (there are hundreds of medium-big names one could include here!) if 40% of the audience they'd spent $millions on aggregating vapourised over a few days or weeks!

I bet this is such a taboo issue that the above companies don't even mention the possibility in their SEC filings! After all, if you take the 40% from Yahoo!/Hotmail, and factor in another 10-15% total for the next 2-3 largest free email providers, any company depending primarily on email for its revenue could see 50%+ of its business disappear like snow in the sunshine once the free email party REALLY ends!

And remember: You read it here FIRST, folks
Old 03-21-2002, 06:47 PM   #13
gunnar

Quote:
After all, imagine the impact on Postmaster Direct, NetCreations, YesMail, MailBits, etc. etc. etc. (there are hundreds of medium-big names one could include here!) if 40% of the audience they'd spent $millions on aggregating vapourised over a few days or weeks!
I obiously haven't spent millions on my list, but it is a very valuable part of my internet presence. Not only the medium to big names would suffer but also the little guys - like me and the many others who run humor/entertainment/freebie sites. Many of us rely heavily on our newsletters for repeat traffic and advertising, and there are many hundreds of humor sites out there. We all stand to lose serious money from free email shutting down.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 12:53 AM   #14
havaloc

I beleive these people will find another email address, rather than abandoning email. Its up to you as email list owners to notfify your users of the problem with yahoo and hotmail (and so called free email, encourage them to switch their service (you could point them to a paid service, and utilize affiliate links), and subsequently update their subscribed email address.

Sure, its a bummer that this is happening, but it CAN be an oppurtunity.

Quote:
Originally posted by gunnar

I obiously haven't spent millions on my list, but it is a very valuable part of my internet presence. Not only the medium to big names would suffer but also the little guys - like me and the many others who run humor/entertainment/freebie sites. Many of us rely heavily on our newsletters for repeat traffic and advertising, and there are many hundreds of humor sites out there. We all stand to lose serious money from free email shutting down.

Last edited by havaloc; 03-23-2002 at 12:55 AM.
havaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 04:11 AM   #15
ValueAd
Member.

If I read it correctly all you gain is access to pop3 via your favorite client (outlook, Eudora, so on)
Well Yahoo is my spare junk email. I'm using it very rear and look to me they will not affect any web interface users for now.

I might be wrong.

Here is the original yahoo message:

Hello,

Important service announcement regarding your POP3 or Mail Forwarding service. Please read on.

Effective April 24, 2002, Yahoo! Mail will no longer provide free POP3 Access or Auto Mail Forwarding to Yahoo! Delivers subscribers.

If you would like to continue using Mail Forwarding or POP3 Access, please subscribe to our improved package that allows you to:

Use Outlook, Eudora, or another POP3 client to access and manage your Yahoo! Mail.
Automatically forward your Yahoo! Mail to another email account -- even another Yahoo! address!
Send larger attachments, now up to 5MB instead of the free 1.5MB limit.
Send email without the Yahoo! promotional text at the bottom.*

Subscribe before April 24th and get the first year of service for just $19.99. That's 33% off the regular service fee of $29.99.

Remember, if you do not subscribe by April 24, 2002, you will no longer be able to access your Yahoo! Mail messages by POP or at another email address.

Sincerely,
The Yahoo! Mail Team
ValueAd is offline   Reply With Quote