Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2003, 07:20 PM   #31
hammer

From Google Terms

Site may not include:
Ads that mimic AdWords ads or appear to be associated with AdWords ads on your site.

I noticed a MIMIC ad being served from Fastclick on several ocassions the past couple of weeks. fastclick was serving Google ad words on my site, but they were removed.

When I seen the MIMIC ad, I thought Fastclick started serving them on my site agian, I checked, and low and behold, no Google ad words.

I believe the MIMIC ad was for a blogger, "Writers Wanted", I can't find it on in my 468 X 60 ads on Fastclick, they must have removed it...
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 02:37 AM   #32
Czar

Webmaster

Wow! I went to sleep for a few hours, and madness ensued. Upon waking, I found that my effective CPM, which was nice but not overwhelming after a few hours of delivery this morning, had shot through the roof to 1999 levels.

If this is sustainable, then Google will have an absolute winner on their hands in terms of serving the indie publishing community. Whether or not this translates into increased advertiser attention or not (ClickZ has already published an article doubtful of the quality of traffic supplied through the AdSense program) has yet to be seen.

Now to find some more sites that aren't laden with error pages, registration pages, search results, text links or competitive banners...

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:38 PM   #33
masm50

Default Do you recommend replacing the Fastclick Google ads then?

I have been accepted into Google's AdSense programme, and noticed in their TOS tat I can't run more than one Google banner per page (such as 468x60 and 120x600) at the same time.

Is it worth dropping my Google ads on Fastclick and Burst then, with their CPM rates, and replaing them with these Google CPC ads.

Also, is it possible to run the ads as defaults to a network?
I guess it is, but anyone tried?

Cheers

Tim
masm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #34
whistler

From what I've seen, I'm probably better off sticking with the Fastclick Google ads. The CPM I have so far with AdSense is lower than Fastclick's (based on 5000 impressions), and I am limited to only one Google ad per page.

It's a small sample size though, so I am going to continue with AdSense and see what happens.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 01:40 PM   #35
Czar

Webmaster

Welcome to Geek/Talk, whistler.

Tim, the choice of whether to go with Google through FastClick or directly depends on the responsiveness of your traffic and the awkwardness of having to juggle different ad codes. My experience has differed from whistler's, but the effective CPM rate has varied substantially from hour to hour due to its CPC base.

Perhaps running Google AdSense as a FastClick default would eliminate the decision, by allowing you to run both with minimal risk of overlap. I have yet to test the ads as a rich-media default, but the service's info/terms documents do not caution against it, so presumably contextual targeting and tracking will function as per usual.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 01:52 PM   #36
hammer

CZAR, I read somewhere that you cannot run Google's adsense as defaults on your ad network like fastclick. I believe it mentioned something about adsense, and the manner it uses to display ads. Adsense as a default cannot determine the content of your pages, thus eliminating the ability to display relevant ads...

I'll try to find the paragraph..
Old 06-21-2003, 01:59 PM   #37
hammer

I must have misread the tech. specs.
The two types of layout (banner and skyscraper) have different HTML ad codes that will allow us to serve AdWords ads on your web pages. The scripts are provided on the Ad layout code page in your Google AdSense account. Simply cut-and-paste the appropriate code into your web page or, if you use a third-party ad server, paste the script into your ad server. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:26 PM   #38
funtoon

Just got approved in Google Adsense just inserted the codes on to my pages......... but they are serving charity ads, I hope the situation changes when I get up tommorow!
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 04:49 PM   #39
epilogue

We're running them now as well. Got a few skyscraper style and the 468x60 ads are defaults in our chain.
epilogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 06:08 PM   #40
pdawg

In the program policies it says...

Site may not include:
Pop-ups that interfere with site navigation or are for downloads

does this mean a no no to running google ads along with pops like maxww or ad.com?
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 06:15 PM   #41
Aristotle

Not a bad little gig going on here. Saw this post, read about the excitement and decided to give it a quick test run on one of our sites. Got accepted in 10 minutes, tossed up some code on one of our sites and after about 45 mins... the results are:

Impressions: 5,202
Clicks: 15
CTR: 0.2
Earnings: $2.08

I'll see how it does over a 24/48 hr period.

Thanks for the great input on this new ad avenue.

How's everyone else doing with CTR and are people happy with their earnings thus far?
Aristotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 06:34 PM   #42
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by funtoon
Just got approved in Google Adsense just inserted the codes on to my pages......... but they are serving charity ads, I hope the situation changes when I get up tommorow!
They mention someplace that if your site hasn't already spidered it will only show charity ads which you will make no revenue from. Once your site is spidered (24-48 hrs I believe) it'll start showing the real ads.
Sashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 08:45 PM   #43
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Nice numbers!!! I'm tempted to dump Amazon.com text links *gulp* from one or two of my smaller video game sites and try them out!!! At any of your current rates, about how much would 500,000 impressions make you??!!

::Once your site is spidered (24-48 hrs I believe) it'll start showing the real ads.

If you got a site that's not listed, is that a quick way to get listed in the main Google search engine??!!

Last edited by Nintendo; 06-21-2003 at 08:47 PM.
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 08:53 PM   #44
Lil_Red

Quote:
Originally posted by Nintendo

If you got a site that's not listed, is that a quick way to get listed in the main Google search engine??!!
Nope.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 08:55 PM   #45
cheznoir
Member.

I removed some text links off my site and resubmitted. Very nice. They have such a depth of ads to serve they really do some really nice contexual ads. Our forums are archived now and some of the ads are so spot on, the members are talking about them - others are so off, but in that weird computer making the choice off, that they are funny.

Chet
cheznoir is offline   Reply With Quote