Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2001, 06:18 AM   #1
tradermcduck

Unhappy Delayed exit pop up - Possible?!

I am a newbie concerning scripts and I have a question. I can pop up a window letīs say 5 seconds after someone visits my site - BUT is it possible to pop up a window when the surfer has already left my site letīs say one minute ago?!

I have heard somewhere this is possible - but how???

Please help! THANKS!!!
tradermcduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 08:54 AM   #2
Hope

Angry

I don't know if it can be done, but I will give you some advice with the subject.

I absolutely HATE pop ups. If I go to a site that uses pop ups, I leave and will not return! If a site sends me a pop up upon leaving the site I get quite irate. I don't want to be there, so don't force me to look at more of your stuff.

If you are looking for traffic to return, you should reconsider pop-ups. I know quite a few people who feel the same as I do; it was discussed in a lot of detail at another message board.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 03:10 PM   #3
ASawley

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Hope:
I don't know if it can be done, but I will give you some advice with the subject.

I absolutely HATE pop ups. If I go to a site that uses pop ups, I leave and will not return! If a site sends me a pop up upon leaving the site I get quite irate. I don't want to be there, so don't force me to look at more of your stuff.

If you are looking for traffic to return, you should reconsider pop-ups. I know quite a few people who feel the same as I do; it was discussed in a lot of detail at another message board.

My feeling exactly. Unless your traffic is "throw away" and will likely never return again, the few extra pennies you make will not be worth it.

Andrew
http://www.lucytalk.com
ASawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 12:02 AM   #4
joma

Unhappy

The scripts I have seen that try to do this are even more annoying than conventional popups.

Why bother? You won't be fooling anybody if you try this.
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 01:40 AM   #5
tradermcduck

Unhappy

Actually I wanted to have a pop up that pops letīs say 2 minutes after the surfer has left my site. So the visitor could not determine the pop up comes from my site!

Personally I hate pop ups too ... anyways i will give it a try for some days and see if it has an impact on returning visitors.
tradermcduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 07:58 AM   #6
scnofx
Member.

Unhappy

Yo would have to popup a minimized window when you exit your site with a timer on it that would then popup the real popup after the amount of time you want
scnofx is offline   Reply With Quote