Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2001, 03:16 PM   #1
tibou

Unhappy SSL and secure servers

I really want to get into selling products from my website. Obviously the first thing i need are secure transactions. I do not need anything complicated, i have a shopping cart script and I could even just use a form that e-mails the data to me. My question is, what would i need to make this secure? I know about VeriSign but is it possible to make my own certificates? After I have a secure server and a certificate, is there anything else I need?

Thanks
tibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 03:22 PM   #2
parplex

Unhappy

I really know nothing on this topic but I think I have an idea. The new apache has a part that I guess makes it fairly easy to setup a secure server for a domain.
parplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 06:30 PM   #3
sdarken

Unhappy

You need to buy a digital certificate from Versign or Thawte (cheaper). You can't make your own. Then install it on your server so that your "checkout" pages use https://

If you email transactions to yourself make sure the email doesn't leave your server (until you download your email ie: your email server must be on the same machine as your website) or else you are opening a security hole.

If you want to accept credit cards you will need a merchant account (to process the credit card payments). There are lots of choices so search this forum for ideas.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote