Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Website For Sale - Purchase - Barter - Trade
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2002, 12:13 AM   #1
tamarian

Default Estimating for a generic (no URL) site's worth

Hi folks,

Without giving a URL, I'd like to estimate what a site is worth, to see what I should offer for it.

This site has a very good key-phrase URL, ranking in first page for all major SE's, and is a mojor competitor to my own site.

4,000 to 6,000 unique vistors a day, 1 million pageview a month.

Costs $100 a month and 5 hour a week to run (including all software liscenses, hosting, bandwidth and domain costs). Generate $1,000 a month.

Is there a formula to calculate the worth? I figured it makes around $11,000 a year, so how many years show I pay for to make a good investmen, and compensate the ownert? i.e. 2 years = $22,000, 5 years = $5,000, etc.?

TIA

Last edited by tamarian; 01-24-2002 at 12:14 AM.
tamarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:19 AM   #2
scottyO

Welcome to geek/talk, tamarian!

In all honesty, I donít think anyone will be able to give you a good estimate on what it is worth; that is impossible without knowing what type of site it is. Even if you were to tell us what the domain name is, Iím not sure how good our estimates would be. With the market the way it is, web sites and domain names are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Sorry if I wasnít as helpful as you may have wanted.

Other geeks?

-Scott

Last edited by scottyO; 01-24-2002 at 03:26 AM.
scottyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 11:02 PM   #3
MadCool
Member.

Usually Your site is worth around 2 years of income. In your example that means that site is worth around $22,000
MadCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 12:17 AM   #4
abendagar

It's hard to say, but with no physical location office, people usually value it at less then two years of income. But it can also depend on other things, newsletter subscribers, amount of competetion etc.
abendagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 11:36 PM   #5
PlanetLaunch

I have to agree with MadCool - 2 years of income is a good rule of thumb for website valuation. Of course other risk factors have to be taken in to play - such as volatility of the particular industry niche of the website and potential future drop or rise in site traffic (what if it loses some of those top search engine rankings?). You also have to look at how the $1,000 per month is being generated and if this is growing or decreasing on a month-to-month basis.
PlanetLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote