Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2002, 10:49 AM   #16
emmzee
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Hmm, lots of impressions, but no clicks ..... that sounds farmiliar to me ..... (On a much lower scale of course, 500k, wow)

Why not put a popup ad on your entry page. I doubt a single popup would turn off many users. Using goClick's $2.50 pops, and assuming a 70% successful pop rate, that would be around $35/day.

Also, clickXchange has some CPM ads. The CPMs are mostly very low ($0.05-$0.10) but that could be a useful short-term solution.

You've probably already applied to FastClick and BurstMedia, but if not then those are some good ad brokers to try.

I'm not sure how well this would work, but intuition tells me that you could try using CPAs in an exit popup window ... ie, I doubt many people would be willing to interrupt their game to signup for an "Win an XBox" contest but maybe after they're finished playing and leave your site ....... I'm thinking of trying something along these lines for my site.
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 11:34 AM   #17
C. Stark

Then you answered your own question. You will need to sustain losses until that point.

Good luck
C. Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:09 PM   #18
sylvie
Member.

<snipped. more self-promotional spam.>

Last edited by Czar; 06-06-2002 at 08:49 PM.
sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:31 PM   #19
Lil_Red

Quote:
Originally posted by sylvie
<snipped>
Sylvie,

You seem to be making the rounds spamming forums tonight

Last edited by Czar; 06-06-2002 at 08:50 PM.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 09:59 PM   #20
Blubster

lmergen, there are a lot of possibilities. And believe me, not all will annoy your users that much.

Czar pointed good ideas about a smoother transition to the paid model. If your site is member-based then you could make the transition really smooth and make the site profitable from the 1st day.

Popups/Popunders are annoying, sure, but ..that is also a good reason to pay for the registered version. If your users make that much pageviews per session, you could use 3 or 4 popups capped for showing one each 5 or 10 pageviews. They will not run away from your site, and you will make acceptable CPMs. If they don't like the popups, a *small* fee can disable them.

If your site has some kind of discussion system (forums or something like that), ask your users about their ideas. In my own experience, if your product is valuable (which seems to be the case) they will cooperate to maintain it with that quality. Explain them that the profitability of the site is the key for it to continue alive and growing.
Blubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 01:46 PM   #21
hobbnet

Someone touched on this earlier and I think they had a great point. Maybe you should charge for extra items, minerals, whatever, that normally take a long time to accumulate. Just take something in the game that takes an annoyingly long time to accumulate and allow users to purchase them immediately. Granted it may **** some people off who would rather spend the time to accumulate these possesions but you seem to be in a squeeze.

I am thinking this may be a good source of extra income for your. I don't know if you are familiar with the Online RPG EverQuest but yes, I was an addict for a while. On eBay people from everquest used to auction their character's items for hundreds of dollars. That takes away from the fun IMO but some people were willing to pay for these items.

Give it a good thought and see if this can apply to your site.

HTH
hobbnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 04:00 PM   #22
besimple

Umm I'm all with the pay to play plan....tell your users in clear words that its coting you to run this site and that they need to chip in.

And when we say chnarge we don't mean charge them a bomb, I think 2.50 is too much.

Personally I'd charge something along the lines of $6-10 a month, show that its only costing then 1.5 cents a day.....try to give the perseption that its very low.

Again Czar pointed out, give the ones paying extra privilages......add a sytem that will allow them to buy in friends, give presents........give them other ways of paying, my refering 5 friends who signup and play or 3 friends......etc.....

Umm one thing i would surely reccomend is Valueclick for your UK visitors, I have a fairly decent clickthru rate with my users only because VC show upto date ads, take the world cup for example, withing minutes of the match there were football ads, mobilephone ads, national health insurance on cpm, music ads, dvd ads, etc...My site is like yours but very small.....but I can vow that VC does show ads for this age group..12-30 & don't worry about credit cards. Kids can always persuade their parents to pay a few bucks for your subscription. The parents will be happy that it keeps the kids busy

Besimple
besimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 04:25 PM   #23
Xshare

<EDIT> Too late, I'm sorry.

Last edited by Xshare; 06-07-2002 at 04:26 PM.
Xshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 05:17 AM   #24
Fromage

I think it was 1996 or 1997 when I played MUD's (those text based online roleplaying games). There was a good payment system. Game was free for everyone, but people could buy task points if they wanted. Task points made characters a bit more powerfull, but not too much. Players who didn't have any task points, could get as powerfull as other, but they had to play more or get better artifacts.

I think it had minor wishes (cost 150 task points) and greater wishes (cost 300 TPs) and players could choose which kind of wish they had. There was bonuses to skills, + 15 stamina and something like that. Even I bought one of both wishes and I was parsimonius back then (btw. is "parsimonius" a real word? Found it in online dictionary )

Perhaps you should try this kind of system. It won't drive players away, if you don't make the paying players _too_ powerfull, but the hardcore players propably will pay nice sums to get a little better.
Fromage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:14 AM   #25
phamvanhoa7592

i thik you must view Peppa Pig- Spring
phamvanhoa7592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:23 AM   #26
qiuf

It's up to your customer to be willing to take the cost or not.
qiuf is offline   Reply With Quote