Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2002, 03:34 PM   #1
lmergen

Default What to do with this traffic?

Hello,

Okay, well, to tell you straight ahead: I own a (in my opinion) pretty large website, www.antrophia.com . It generates around 500,000 impressions/day , all by its members.

The problem is it's members: every member visits an average of 50 pages per session, and comes back about 3 times a day. Due to that, the banners aren't clicked very often - of not sold right.

I used to use Adtegrity for my advertising solutions; however, they failed to be able to sell good advertising for the site, and only managed to get a CTR of less than 0.01% without pop-ups. That's why they OBLIGATED me to start showing pop-ups, or beat it. In the beginning I tought it wouldn't be so bad to show one pop-up per session, as they claimed. However, their pop-ups seems to be multiple spawning and completely eating up the desktop - not only from me, but all of my visitors. For visitors visiting 50 pages per session, that's bad...

Therefor, I decided to replace the banners with LinkExchange banners, and to sell my own advertising. This worked amazingly well : the LinkExchange banners generate me about 1000 new visitors each day, and I managed to sell 2 campaigns to GOOD advertisers (advertisers that really interrest my visitors) - those banners generated about 0.50% CTR. So that's more than 50 times as much as Adtegrity managed to do.

I sold those campaigns at a (low) rate of $0.25 CPM, and am willing to do this for ALL the campaigns.

However, I don't have the time to sell all my inventory myself, so I'm basically looking for some sales executive that can sell all my ads and that can keep all the money he gets above the, say, $0.15 CPM... Where do I find such a person? I really think he would be able to make a living out of that many impressions, but I just don't have the time to do it myself, and I don't want to hire someone that does not work on a base like this...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
lmergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 04:16 PM   #2
Casale Media
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Running sites with large memberbases can be rough. When I ran 3BigShows.com members viewed 30 pages on the average per session and some spent hours on end on the site. Banners were not clicked, the banner industry was going down the tubes at the same time and I just pulled the plug on the site.

It's rough, but if you can find someone to get you advertisers, you'll make some good $$s!

Best of luck!
Old 06-02-2002, 04:49 PM   #3
Aristotle

Imergen,

We often face the same problem. Our members view over 25+ pages a day each on avg.

We're testing out fastclick.com this month because their ad server allows you to set how often one viewer sees a pop-under. It's either 1 pop-under per 12 hours or 1 per 24 hours. Works well. One pop-under, then it's gone for that reader for a while. Allows the reader to browse the rest of the site without constantly having to close the ad window.

Good luck with your site.

-Ari
Aristotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 04:55 PM   #4
lmergen

Problem is, 50 is a minimum...

It's not special if the visitor views 200 pages in a session... so they really cost me a lot of bandwidth / server capicity if they don't click on many ads
Old 06-02-2002, 06:28 PM   #5
C. Stark

Your members must pay. Charge them $1.....anything, but make them pay.

Last edited by C. Stark; 06-02-2002 at 06:43 PM.
C. Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 01:10 AM   #6
DownDiver

I don't know how this would affect the gameplay but you can offer a tiered system...like you can offer the normal free game...then you can sell credits, minerals, or whatever other stuff in the game that would require a lot of time to earn for a price. So that people can forego the time it takes to acquire them...at the same time it saves you bandwidth and earns some nice cash.
DownDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 03:26 AM   #7
PaulT

Didn't Planetarion go down this route with great success?
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 03:39 AM   #8
lmergen

Yes, but they had 250,000+ members before they want "Pay2Play" ...

I only have about 27,000 members, but currently growing at about 1,000 / week...

But trust me, you lose a LOT of players when you turn pay2play - about 95% - 97.5% ...

I currently already have a subscribed version for $2.50 / month next to the free version - you just pay $2.50 / month to get rid of the ads...

People seem to like that one pretty much, I currently have about 25 subscribers for that one... however, 25 out of 27,000 is about nothing...

So basically, I *NEED* to have something done with the advertisements... I *KNOW* there is big money in the industry, advertising for 13- 21 year old people - think of mobile phones, games, music, electronics, etc.

I just don't have the time to do it myself
Old 06-03-2002, 05:22 AM   #9
Scuba

What about CPA ?
have you triad CJ or Amazon ?
you say that you have targeted demographic with age/interest and probably also ***. I am sure that you can find a program that will work for you...
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 05:26 AM   #10
lmergen

Problem is, they don't have a credit card...

I tried amazon and cj, with no luck...

I *DID* generate a few thousand clicks, but no single sale...
Old 06-03-2002, 06:17 AM   #11
jokearound

no credit card...hmm..heres a few things you could consider if you want to offer a premium version :

premium rate line ordering
reverse sms billing

you should also concentrate on lead based programmes, not sales if you want to go the CPA route..something like "win an XBox" or similar would perform well.

ive also heard that skyscraper ads do better than normal banners for forums.

maybe you could also try putting the banner in between the initial post and the 1st reply on your forums..that might increase CTR a bit, as its in the content, not above it out of the way.

if you want, contact me, and we can talk about mobile phone ringtones for Europe (not sure what your country demographics are)..
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 12:27 AM   #12
C. Stark

Default They Must Pay!

Just make them pay. They will pay.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:32 AM   #13
C. Stark

Default did I mention they should pay

Excuse me for being so repetitive but the business model of your site is not really a publishing model. It is a video game software company model. The software company model is you develop something that people will pay for or you go out of business. It sounds to me like your users will pay.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:52 AM   #14
lmergen

Problem is, there are tons of free games like me... first of all, when I will turn to a paid service, I will drop to about 500 members... 500 members will hold say 1 or 2 months, but really isn't enough to keep the game active enough....

I think about 2500 active players is needed to have a fun game, which generally mean I will first have to cross the 100,000 members line before I even *CAN* turn to a paid service...

The game isn't fun when there aren't many players, that's the problem
Old 06-04-2002, 09:26 AM   #15
Czar

Webmaster

Hey Leon,

I'm not sure whether you developed the game in-house or not, but would it be possible to limit the features available to free players, without blocking them entirely?

If you could block them from high-score tables, limit them to particular locations, block them from using certain items, or limit their advancement to a particular level, that may serve as an incentive to sign up while still keeping the game entertaining and accessible. And in such a scenario, even those that don't register will serve to build the value of the multiplayer game for those who do.

Anyway, that concept sounded better before I put it into writing (and I know it's not entirely original)...but maybe you'll find a trinket of inspiration in there somewhere.

HTH.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote