Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Default I am thinking of adding a Forums to my site. Any suggestions/tips???

Hi All. I have been thinking for awhile now about adding a forums to my site. But, I am clueless as to how to go about it, where to look/begin, what it involves, etc... Keep in mind that I work on my site alone so time may be a issue. But, I know that a Forums would really do my site some good. A few people have said that I should get one.

-So, any suggestions? I don't think I will go with EZ Boards. I hear VBulletine is good???

-And what about cost? Ofcourse I would prefer a free service, but I am willing to pay for a good one.

-How easy/hard is it to set it all up?

-How easy/hard it it to monitor a forums?

-Which forums is better for beginners?

-Which Forums is better at SPAM control?

-Is it alot of work to run a Forums by yourself?

-And what are the advantages to having a Forums on your site?

Also, My site is 90% about cartoons and Anime but I am venturing into adding TV shows, Movies, and Music to my site, so I will be making seperate sections for these as well.

It will be awhile before I add a Forums to my site and right now I am doing research and asking around. And, I wanted to add more content to my site and work on adding more cartoons first. Should I wait till I do all of this or add the forums with what I have now and go from there???

I am THANKFUL for any help and suggestions/advice.
moonbaseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:19 PM   #2

Do you have your own server?

I've always used phpBB and have been very happy with it. It is free and relatively easy to setup and maintain. There have been some security issues with it lately though, which means you have to take a few minutes to download and install a patch for it.

Most forums are as easy to setup. I've heard a lot of good things about Invision Power Board, but haven't used it myself.

The thing about forums is that they are very beneficial to your site in the long run, but getting them going in the first place is difficult. Acheiving that critical mass of posters is very difficult.
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #3

That's true, and it's not until you reach that critical mass that the forums will become the hive of activity that will require active moderation. Once that happens, though, you should be able to recruit a few dedicated moderators from within the community itself, particularly if they feel in touch with the tone of the community that you set through your early work as a guide and administrator.

vBulletin is a brilliant piece of software and far surpasses phpBB in terms of its feature set, security and ability to filter out negative activity, IMHO, but it is commercial. I, too, use phpBB on sites that don't require vBulletin's feature set and would recommend that package as a starting point if you're not necessarily sure as to whether or not you'll keep the forum operating in the long-term. If you are quite committed to building and maintaining the forum for years, however, it may be worth your while to jump straight onto the vBulletin bandwagon from day 1, to save yourself a tricky crossgrade in the future.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #4

Like suresk, I have always used phpBB as my forums, and they haven't let me down so far (although I didn't update my software quick enough and got my site hacked once...but I digress).

phpBB is easy to use, very well tested, and pretty easy to implement.

These forums (and many other top forums for that matter) use vBulletin, and it does seem to be the best option for high traffic forums that need more features from what I've seen (but you do have to pay for it).

However, two relative newcomers to the forum scene seem to be making some waves. These are Simple Machines and MyBB which both offer features closer to vB than phpBB, but are still free. Both of these, although currently free, are not open source though like phpBB.

masm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:56 AM   #5

I recommend vbulletin; it's pretty good more professional and well organized.

However adding forum in your website is a good idea, I would suggest keep it active as a dead forum can drive away customers.
etechsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:00 PM   #6

Well, I have started my own forums and have been able to get a few people to join. Some I know will post on a regular basis, others might have just joined because I asked them too.

I went with VB as I figured, I could afford it, and I have a friend that has been helping me set it up so it wasn't too bad getting started with it.

But now my question is, any tips for a new forum?

How do you get people to join?
How do you keep them coming back?
Any other tips would be helpful

PS, if you want to see my forums just ask, I didn't want to put a link up and have people think I was trying to spam the place.
moonbaseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:11 AM   #7

moonbaseone, here are a couple of threads that are loaded with very useful information which will answer those questions plus give you many more good tips.

Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote