Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Development - Programming / Coding
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default Expression Web Designer Beta launched

Microsoft has launched the beta of Expression Web Designer today. Microsoft calls it a Community Technology Preview.

Expression Web Designer is a professional development application which is for both developers and designers. It has tools to create standards-based Web sites using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), XML and XHTML.

Microsoft often tries to compare Expression Web Designer to Dreamweaver. But, in what isn't a real surprise, Expression Web Designer is Windows only.

I've only been trying to get a feel of Expression Web Designer for a few minutes so I don't have any real thoughts about it yet.

Here is a link to Expression Web Designer in case you haven't already tried it http://www.microsoft.com/products/ex...n/default.mspx

Here are links to a couple of articles about Expression Web Designer

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1962306,00.asp

http://www.publish.com/article2/0,1895,1962263,00.asp
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
georgec

The download link is "experiencing technical difficulties." Typical MS launch it seems
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
Larwee

GeekGuide

It was possible to download earlier, and some people did. Some people have been running into problems with it after they downloaded. Maybe Microsoft will have things under control tomorrow, as they have promised.

Here are the interesting system requirements according to Microsoft
Quote:
System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows Vista; Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 2
Old 05-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Larwee

GeekGuide

It looks as if Microsoft now finally has the download problems cleared up. They have also made some changes in the system requirements.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/ex...r/default.mspx

Last edited by Larwee; 05-16-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

This is shaping up to be a massive year for Microsoft. They've finally taken the gloves off in their battle against Google, they continue to fight Sony and Nintendo for dominance in the home entertainment space and they're now taking on the software might of Adobe/Macromedia with this, a new photo manipulation package and even a possible competitor to the Acrobat PDF document exchange format.

I don't know if the creative community will respond well to this, but if the products are as intuitive as the Adobe and Macromedia suites, MSFT may be able to gain a foothold in this most fickle of markets.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
georgec

Has anyone actually downloaded and tried out Expression? Can they make the download process any less complicated? I gave up after seeing how I need to sign up with Connect or some other nagging process.

If MS is going to have a massive year, I think it'll be next year when Vista launches, along with the myriad of accompanying apps like IE7 with Live search built in. It's getting tiring though seeing Bill Gates seemingly lose touch with reality as he claims, then reclaims how they're going to catch Google in search in 2 years, 3 years, now 5 years. I don't buy his whole speech that search should be "when I'm searching for something, it should just return the exact result, not a whole list I have to go through." That's what search is, they're not mind readers, they provide you with a list to choose from. As long as the list is all relevant, that's what it's all about.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
Larwee

GeekGuide

georgec, I have and I know a couple of other people who have also.

I haven't been using it long enough or really gotten familiar with it yet. My initial impression is it is like an advanced version of FrontPage. I might have a different and much better opinion after I have used Expression Web Designer more and have a better understanding of it.

Last edited by Larwee; 05-17-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
Silv

Well, they're already going about this in the right fashion to recover from the FrontPage years - making this available as a free download, in a preview and asking for feeedback. They may actually have a product yet...

Of course, the download is only at 9%.. so maybe I'm just getting over excited.

Last edited by Silv; 05-18-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Silv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
ajscottsr

I viewed the video, it looks like it may have some promise. I have to say though that the web designer screen shots don't look all that different than front page. I have not yet been able to get it downloaded to do a reasonable comparison. It does look like its better suited for ASP, XML and CSS as opposed to Front Page. I'm not going to hold my breath, but it certainly appears to be a step in the right direction.
ajscottsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:22 AM   #10
Alex|Canep Media
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

How does it compare with Dreamweaver?
Alex|Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #11
patton

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy
How does it compare with Dreamweaver?
I don't know. I have DreamWeaver MX 2004.
patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #12
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default Comparison with Dreamweaver

One of the first things that is clear about Microsoft's Expression Web Designer is that it is Windows-only. Most people would probably be surprised if this wasn't the case.

Like many other people my first impression was that Expression Web Designer was an updated advanced version of FrontPage. After spending some time using Expression Web Designer, it became obvious that this isn't the case. It is a big step beyond FrontPage.

In Expression Web Designer, Microsoft wants something that will be as attractive or more attractive to users than Dreamweaver. The logical question which many have asked is how does Microsoft's Expression Web Designer compare with Dreamweaver?

This link is to a good 2-page review which tries to compare the two. It gives the good points and the bad points of each one, at least as seen by the reviewer. It does cover a lot of ground and should help give some idea as to how the two compare. http://www.digitalmediadesigner.com/...e.jsp?id=43025
Old 05-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #13
Alex|Canep Media
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Thanks for the article link, I was looking for a nice in depth comparison of the two products. Looks like Microsoft has teh advantage becasue they built a product to work with todays standards, while Macromedia had to evolve their product from prior standards to todays standards.

The important question here is what is more dynamic. Right now Microsofts product looks better built but as new standards are created, will Microsoft do what Macromedia did and evovle their product or will they drop the old standards and set the program to work with contemporary standards.
Alex|Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:32 AM   #14
ajscottsr

Thanks for the link, that was very helpful
ajscottsr is offline   Reply With Quote