Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Development - Programming / Coding
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2004, 10:50 AM   #1
Ben N

Default What's The Easiest Yet Smartest Way Of Converting ASP Pages To HTML Pages?

Hi All,
I want to convert most of my text, link, and product asp pages into html pages because from what I understand the engines will give html pages more attention than asp pages.
I have Notepad and Word Pad already. If I have to buy another program like Dreamweaver or GoLive, no big problem, but I was told that I'll have more control over the conversion if I use Notepad.
I was told to go to the asp pages> view source> then do a save as in Notepad. But I think there is more to it than just that.

1) What is the easiest yet smartest way to convert these pages over?

2) Also what is the difference between html and htm pages?

Thank you very much for your help.
Best Regards,
Ben N
Ben N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #2
jessebhunt

If your only trying to make the pages look like .htm or .html files, you could just use mod_rewrite to make "something.htm" display "something.asp"

SitePoint's Apache Forum is a great resource for learning more about mod_rewrite and getting help if your stuck.
jessebhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:02 AM   #3
sdarken

Ben,

You should consider what you are proposing very carefully.

ASP allows you to have a dynamic site (ie: pull product info from a database, make product updates easily etc). Using HTML-only pages, will make your site completely static.

Converting from ASP to html is as easy as you were told: View Source and save with a .htm extension. Dont forget that all the links in the site will be pointing to .asp pages so you'll have to change every link name.

.htm and .html are exactly the same thing.

jessebhunt - mod_rewrite is probably not going to be an option for that site, it appears to be running on a Microsoft IIS server rather than Apache
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
Ben N

Hi Sdarken,
Thanks for your reply to my question about converting asp pages to html pages.
Here is what I am thinking of doing and why:
I keep hearing to add a page of text per day, and the text that I have added so far are all asp pages.
The pages that I am thinking of converting are my "More Information" pages. I was under the assumption that the engines would give them more attention vs asp pages.
The only drawback I was told is that on the html pages that I creat, I cannot have my shopping cart work. It only works on the asp pages.
The product pages, I will leave as asp's though.
I tried: View source, deleting the cart info, save as an html document in Notepad. But it keeps saving it to my desktop as a web page. Then when I open it, it only shows the text. Where ever there is supposed to be color or a graphic, it shows a red "X".
I know I'm close to getting this correct, but I'm not there yet.
Am I supposed to save it as ".html" or something like that???
What are your thoughts?
Thanks Again,
Ben N
Old 03-29-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
jessebhunt

Quote:
jessebhunt - mod_rewrite is probably not going to be an option for that site, it appears to be running on a Microsoft IIS server rather than Apache

Sorry... I didn't look at the site before I started running my mouth
jessebhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
Bocker

There's some ISAPI filters available for IIS, which who solve your problem. Some of them work the same way as the mod_rewrite for apache.

There's a freeware here:
http://www.motobit.com/help/url-repl...od-rewrite.asp

But just look up "iis mod rewrite" on Google, and you'll probably find more.
Bocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:47 PM   #7
LaWizard

Default In IIS

In IIS you can also have the server treat .htm and .html files as ASP files so that your shopping cart and the rest of your site will still work. You will need to still change all links from each page from .asp to .htm or .html

I have not heard anything about google or other search engines that treat html better than asp. Where did you find this info, and did you do research to see if it was true?
LaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
Bocker

Google treats asp and html the same as long as you have no dynamic values in the URL (ie default.asp?page=news&news_id=1033). My experience is that Google skips nearly all dynamic files, so only default.asp will be indexed, and not default.asp?page=news&news_id=1033. It dosen't matter if you setup IIS to handle .htm and .asp files the same way - Google will still see the ? in the URL.

That's why a lot of sites is using mod_rewrite to make their dynamic URLs look like folders (ie http://www.domain.com/news/1033/ points to http://www.domain.com/default.asp?pa...s&news_id=1033). All these URLs will be indexed by Google then.
Bocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:21 PM   #9
sdarken

Ben,

I dont believe there is any evidence that search engines would prefer "info.htm" over "info.asp".

One thing that I saw on your site that might be a bit odd from a search engine perspective is your entire site uses a single page :- "index.asp" which is passed different parameters.
eg:
index.asp?PAGEACTION=CONTACTUS
index.asp?PAGEACTION=COMPANY
index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=24

Parameters (the bit after the "?") may causes problems for some search engines so you might have more luck if you create standalone informational pages you mentioned. E.g : Have a page called
"contactus.asp"
instead of
"index.asp?PAGEACTION=CONTACTUS".

In regard to the red X's you mentioned, the reason for that is that the page points to images in a location relative to the location that the page is being saved (eg: an "images" folder or something similar). You would have to save all of the images onto your computer to resolve those broken images.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:28 PM   #10
LaWizard

I think everyone should read this page when it comes to this kind of information about google.com's bots. Here is an insert from the page about dynamic generated sites.

Quote:
Your pages are dynamically generated. We are able to index dynamically generated pages. However, because our web crawler can easily overwhelm and crash sites serving dynamic content, we limit the amount of dynamic pages we index.
http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html

Last edited by LaWizard; 03-29-2004 at 03:29 PM.
LaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 04:28 PM   #11
Ben N

Thanks very much for the info..
I will be leaving the product pages alone. Only my informational pages will be made into html's.
I will also take your advice Sdarken, and change the pages you mentioned above. As long as our host's software allows me to, which shouldn't be a problem.
Unless I am missing something (which could be, because alot of this is new to me), the weird thing is, this is about the only place that says asp's and html's get looked at the same way from an engines standpoint. It seems that almost everywhere else I read, they talk about creating static html pages so the engines will read them better/easier.
Are all htm & html pages static pages???
Guess I'll have to do more reading...
Thanks Again,
Ben N
Old 03-29-2004, 04:33 PM   #12
Koj-Gysto

I came across http://www.helicontech.com/linkfreeze/ a few days ago which (with IIS) automatically rewrites dynamic urls into search engine friendly ones without you having to do more than enabling it... It has NEVER been easier

I have setup the trial for one of my sites and am waiting for google to crawl my site again so I can see how it has changed my listings
Koj-Gysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 04:46 PM   #13
Ben N

Quote:
Originally posted by Koj-Gysto
I came across http://www.helicontech.com/linkfreeze/ a few days ago which (with IIS) automatically rewrites dynamic urls into search engine friendly ones without you having to do more than enabling it... It has NEVER been easier

I have setup the trial for one of my sites and am waiting for google to crawl my site again so I can see how it has changed my listings

I can't get the link to work. Page cannot be displayed comes up.
Thx,
Ben N
Old 03-29-2004, 07:26 PM   #14
sdarken

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben N
Are all htm & html pages static pages???
xx.htm, xxx.html, xxx.asp, xxx.php are all static pages as far as a search engine is concerned. When you add something after the .asp or .php, that's when a search engine considers the page to be dynamic. eg: page1.asp?someparm=123

(Generally .htm and .html pages will not contain parameters).

The problem is that your site could have
page1.asp?someparm=234
page1.asp?someparm=987
page1.asp?someparm=fred
page1.asp?someparm=12939283dkdkajfred
etc, an 1000 other pages with variations on the above URL.

The search engine can't tell if these are really new pages or not (and doesn't want to get trapped on your site) so there is a limit to the number of these dynamic pages that a search engine will crawl (or dynamic links that it a search engine will follow) before it gives up.

Note, the definition that a web developer will use for a dynamic page versus a static page is different. Any .asp or .php page can be created dynamically behind the scenes. The search engine uses the URL to make the distinction.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:41 AM   #15
Koj-Gysto

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben N
I can't get the link to work. Page cannot be displayed comes up.
Thx,
Ben N
weird, try www.isapirewrite.com and click your way to linkfreeze
Koj-Gysto is offline   Reply With Quote