Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
denasio

Default Window XP Service Pack 2: Pop up blocker for IE

Hello guys,

This is probably old news for you guys but I've just read the news and wanted to know what you guys think. I did a search on the forum but found nothing about it.

I've just read that one of the new features in the Window XP service pack 2 is a popup blocker for IE. This is very bad news. 75% of my visitors use IE6 and 20% use IE5. I think that most of these visitors don't like pop-ups both they don't bother to download a pop-up blocker. But if they get IE with a build in popup blocker, then they will surely use it!

Is this the end of pop-ups and pop-unders? I do believe so.
denasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
pointsi

Yes, this has been discussed at length here before and I think most people agree that pops won't die immediately as a result of this new IE default feature. Ad networks are always finding creative ways around these things--it's a constant back and forth technology battle. Take a look at www.adoutput.com for one example of how even small publishers can now easily circumvent most pop blockers on the net today. Imagine that on a large ad network scale...

Also, as pops fade, there will always be rich-media layer ads, interstitials and other creative ways for marketers to reach their audience in similar fashion.
pointsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:20 PM   #3
jnestor

I'm planning to take the AdOutput code to detect pop blockers and serve other ads instead - in particular FC InVues and Interstitials. I suspect that if I let people know - turn off your pop blocker and you'll stop getting InVues - that many will allow pops instead. I personally have almost no fear that the revenue that I've been making from pops won't be replaced by something else.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
denasio

Quote:
Originally posted by jnestor
I'm planning to take the AdOutput code to detect pop blockers and serve other ads instead - in particular FC InVues and Interstitials. I suspect that if I let people know - turn off your pop blocker and you'll stop getting InVues - that many will allow pops instead. I personally have almost no fear that the revenue that I've been making from pops won't be replaced by something else.
Is he charging $50.00 for the script? Wasn't the script free?
denasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:21 AM   #5
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by denasio
Is he charging $50.00 for the script? Wasn't the script free?
The blocker detector is free. The blocker bypasser that works with 3rd party provider's isn't though. Sorry, capitalism in action .
Sashman is offline   Reply With Quote