Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2001, 04:48 AM   #1
jkcity

Unhappy What will we all do as webmasters if adblocking software starts to become a big issue

In the last few months I have seen this mentioned more and more and people are starting to use it in greater numbers, What will we all do when the numbers become to great, I have seen that java script that was posted here, that will work but was hard to implement.

Does nay one know if any one else is developing somthing to counter act the software.

I don't think this is a big problem on my site at the momant but I know if 20% of my users started to use it, it would not be good.

I was also thinking as well that this coudl have major implications for disabled users, this is serious this is quite a big thing at the momant, making sure your site is accessable to disabled users, if a blind person for example did not have images for obious reasons, then anythig we used to stop blockers getting into our site will affect them some way.

I don't like to be pesamistic but, I belive at current rates of uptake it coudl only be less than 6 months before it reaches 20% + uptake of the software, and once that happens we can expect to see a rapid uptake of users of these programs.

Do any of you have any thoughts on what we can do to combat this problem.

jkcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 05:16 AM   #2
Kaycee

Unhappy

Ad blocking software is beginning to be distributed FREE when you buy a new computer.

Hey, guys, they're only going to be able to make computers so fast. Those silicon wafers are so very thin now. How shall we then entice people to buy a new computer? Give em ways to make their Internet experience more pleasurable.

Start off by giving them FREE Norton Internet Security 2001 with excellent Ad blocking software! Even eliminates those annoying Popup banners.

Kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 05:17 AM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

I can't explain why this issue is becoming more prevalent of late. Ad blocking software has been around for like 5 years, and it seems that a greater propertion of people these days are willing to accespt banner ads as an integral part of the Web's landscape.

Plus, now that broadband access is starting to take hold in the US, South Korea and elsewhere, the delays in load times caused by graphical ads are becoming negligible.

As such, I don't think that it will take hold to any great degree. If it's popularity does, somehow, manage to reach the 20% that you proposed, I imagine that the ad networks will develop tools or serving solutions that work around this.

Still, if you want to do something active to protect yourself, you can try placing the Javascript code found at this forum on the most heavily-trafficked sections of your site, and employ searchboxes, text links and such elsewhere. This will allow you to generate at least some revenue from those inconsiderate users who don't want you to receive compensation for the content that you have provided to them for free. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

2 cents.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 05:25 AM   #4
jkcity

Unhappy

Does any one know if there are any figures that show how many people currently use it, From people I talk to on the internet there seems to be alot, but I don't seem to see this reflected in any of my stats.
Old 03-02-2001, 05:43 AM   #5
Kaycee

Unhappy

Remember the first coin operated Bathroom stalls? Maybe everyone here is too young to remember that.

Anyway, back then if I didn't have a dime, I'd sneak under the door. My God, charge me for using the toilet just for coming to your fine establishment?

There, I feel so much better now. What were we talking about anyway?

Oh, charging people to access our content!!
If my content is nothing more than a ploy to sell something to you, how can I feel ripped off if you visit and dislike the way I present my goods?

Also, (for the old), remember the days, when store salesmen would greet you at the door and follow you around?

Anyway, Banner Ads, and Popups? Take it from TechTV, they don't sell a thing. You're just annoying people.

Let the people shop in a relaxed atmosphere, and buy what they're looking for without some pushy salesman following them around.

What works works.

I switched to 99% text links, and sales and leads have gone way up.
Old 03-02-2001, 05:47 AM   #6
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

>>>>
Anyway, Banner Ads, and Popups? Take it from TechTV, they don't sell a thing. You're just annoying people.

>>>>>

I'll bet you $19,000,000.00 that you're wrong.

http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Robert from SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 05:52 AM   #7
jkcity

Unhappy

Kaycee text linsk are just advertismenst like anyhting else and don't think that just because its not banners you are immmune. I don't know if its true but from what I hear these programs have started to block text links as well, Now obiously htis is alot harder to do, but the point is they are doing it.
Old 03-02-2001, 06:09 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Exclamation

Kaycee, what yourself and other users of ad-blocking software don't seem to realise is that in the long term this only disadvantages you.

At present, the majority of the content on the Web is available for free. Under this model, advertisers pick up the bill in exchange for visitor attention. If they aren't seeing that attention, and the web publisher's revenue falls as a result, you'll see more and more publishers being forced into charging users to access quality, original content.

Contrary to popular belief, it costs a great deal of money to produce and deliver good content, so publishers will always require revenue for this.

Take your pick - keep experiencing the free internet (and view a few banner ads along the way), or prepare to pay for content out of your own pocket.

Now, given this, how do you feel about booting up that ad-blocking software of yours?

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 06:29 AM   #9
Kaiosama

Unhappy

Thats okay... I'm sure Kaycee will not mind paying, right? If this does get out of hand we will be forced to use the subscription model.

I don't understand how PC makers are even ALLOWED to bundle such software. I am unpleased by the fact that Norton would even release such a product.

I'm not sure if many new PCs come with the software enabled but if they do that 20% won't be hard to get to.

P.S. Virus's are very annoying. Thankfully I have a back-up machine.
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 06:44 AM   #10
jkcity

Unhappy

I can see it going way past 20% eventually when it starts to catch on.

I think users see it abit like dropping litter, if they drop one piece of paperon the floor it won't make that much differnce but they do not realise 70% of other people may be dropping 1 piece of paper on the floor then they complain when they have rubish all over there streets.

I think the only way to maybe stop this, is to make users feel like they are doing wrong, by using it, this will not work for everyone, but I think its time we set up a site that webmasters could link to or post some kind of statemnet on there site telling there users how sites are supported and tell them the implactions of using this software.

I know we coudl do this our selves, but I was thinking it woudl be better to do it as a group, that way it coudl get more reconistion.

[This message has been edited by jkcity (edited 03-02-2001).]
Old 03-02-2001, 06:46 AM   #11
Kaycee

Unhappy

Anyway, thanks for letting me play Devil's Advocate, as it were.

Ok, Banner Ads make alot of money.

I don't see anyone here complaining.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:06 AM   #12
webwizard

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Czar:
Plus, now that broadband access is starting to take hold in the US, South Korea and elsewhere, the delays in load times caused by graphical ads are becoming negligible.

I agree. In New York, USA, right now, DSL is the only thing being advertised anymore. There has not been one single commercial or advertisement for regular 56k Internet access in the past 4 months. They have all been DSL. DSL is now costing almost as much as 56k access here and all new computers are coming with a now standard DSL modem.

My point is, that if “Ad Blocking” software ever takes off over here, it will not be the result of people just trying to make the Internet faster.

One more thing I would like to conclude is that we are looking at all of this from a webmaster's point of view. The majority (or regular internet surfer), just signs on maybe once a day, for an hour. He is not aware of all of these ad issues, nor does he even care.

It's just us, webmasters that are sensitive to this issue, and realize banners everywhere we go. The regular internet user started his first days surfing the internet with ads being everywhere, so from that day, when he continues to surf, all the ads he sees are normal.

The only problem that could start is if the new computers start coming out with the "Ad Blocking" software already turned on.

However, then again, do you actually think that all of these billion dollar companies will allow this to happen (c|net, yahoo, excite, etc.)? Not only will they be able to afford to figure out a way to stop this software if it ever takes off and take legal action if necessary, but most of all, they probably all have huge investments in Norton, or all of them are someway affiliated with all of these computer companies, causing this software to cease right away, whenever the major companies demand it.

------------------
"There are three sides to every argument. Your side, my side, and the truth."
-WebWizard
webwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 09:42 AM   #13
truelight
Member.

Unhappy

jkcity: My adblocker filters out textlinks as well. Have a look at http://www.iboost.com
See the lower left "quick links"? That box is filtered out with WebWasher. However, that is due to the fact that the link is a known advertiser, and contains *ad* in the url.. To counter ad-filters keep your advertising non-graphic, non-animated, informative, and popup-free - in other words: Nice for the visitor!

I really find this business about "ad filters should be illegal!" downright stupid. Excuse me for saying so, but ad-blockers are merely an extension of not looking at banners. It's like saying "It should be illegal not to watch banners!". Visitors not looking at ads should be punished by the legal system!

Regardless if I'm right or wrong, WHINING DOES NOT GET US ANYWHERE. This is not to be debated - it seems logical enough. Accept, move on, and invent. Robert Byrne once said:
"Getting caught is the mother of invention."

We all got caught with our pants down, in the same bed as Pop-ups and Flash, all of us shocking the monkey from behind. We have to realize that we went to far and capitalized too much, or rather, in the wrong way. I suggest that we find advertising that benefits the visitor more.

[This message has been edited by truelight (edited 03-02-2001).]
truelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 10:00 AM   #14
jkcity

Unhappy

i don't think ad blocking is an extension of ignoring them, we get paid on a cpm if you don't want to look at ads then don't but you are denying the sites that use adevertisments to pay for them selves, If I was you I woudl feeel very guilty every time I visited a site that wa sad supported knowing I may like the stuff there but My aim is also to destroy it.
Old 03-02-2001, 10:09 AM   #15
WildComputer

Unhappy

Semi-serious Market opportunity for somebody:

develop a script that detects ad-blocking software, and redirects to a page saying:

"You are stealing my content and can not view this web site because you are using ACME-AD-REMOVER. If you want to view my site - please turn off ACME-AD-REMOVER"

------------------[*]Over 208,000 Killer Domain Names available for the price of registration!
February only - get a 40% discount if you order 50 or more domain years![*]Create Your Own High Profit E-Books[*]Drive thousands of visitors to your web site cheap'n'easy[*]Affiliate Programs reviewed
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote