Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2001, 03:28 PM   #46
Guava

Unhappy

Quote:
If you sold 10 million impressions @ $1.00CPM, why would you let the whole network have piece of the pie? Because it gives other webmasters a chance and give them dollars to survive
I think the only time I'd point an advertiser who approached me or I approached to the group would be when I couldn't deliver the purchase they wanted in their desired volume or time period. But I believe a network like this built by people who really know what they are doing and who have a stake in it because their sites are served by it as well would be a great asset to us all.

------------------
Guava
NetMongol.com Free E-Mail @YourDomain.com
Keep 100% of the Banner Space! For only $10 per month
NetMongol Affiliate Program Paying $5 per sale and then $2 per month after that
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 03:33 PM   #47
Lil_Red

Unhappy

Kaumil, it's nice to see someone say their reputation means something. Way too many companies have no clue what reputation means.

I hope this works out. It would be a great benefit to small/medium publishers.

I'll be watching from the sidelines, not because I don't think your idea will work but because we simply would **** up too many impressions.

------------------
Webmaster
http://server.com
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 03:48 PM   #48
gethosted

Unhappy

Remember also, that even if you didn't share your advertisers, if you gave excess ad inventory, then it raises the chance that we'll all have our excess inventory filled by someone such as doubleclick.

------------------
Ezcoolpages: Free 20 megs webhosting for all sites, including celeb.
Harsh Rejection: Send a clever personalized E-poem to show your true feelings.
Celeb Banner Exchange
gethosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 03:50 PM   #49
madaweb

Unhappy

Maybe this could be done as sort of a co-operative in reverse. For example a food co-op is a group of people who buy large quantities of food at a discount for all it's members, but each member only buys what he needs, all benefit from the buying power of the group. So what if a group of publishers formed a co-op with the intent to sell large quantities of ad space.
And that is just my 2 cents worth.
madaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 03:57 PM   #50
b2gdotcom

Unhappy

This is actually an idea I had since January of this year, but didn't go ahead with it because a) I didn't know many other webmasters b) Too much to handle (servers to serve ads, program to make it all fly etc...).

Also, I doubt you guys would want my message board traffic. I have large volumes and would be willing to share, but not many are willing to take http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif.

Hope it works out well for you guys.
b2gdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 04:21 PM   #51
xuniverse
Member.

Unhappy

will there be branding? for instance in the lycos network all the sites have little branding at the top of them. will adathon just be the ad sales company? will there be another content site (like about.com)?

ABOUT.com is to X
as luna is to adathon.

what is X?

Could X just be a 1 page site with a logo and short description of every site in the network? Then that would be a cool way to share traffic if we each linked to that page...

I think that this could be a major breakthrough and Im sure we could get tons of press if we did some sort of branding like lycos. Imagine if like 20-30 1,000,000 (average impressions/month) sites got together. We would be bringing in 30,000,000 views a month which would qualify us for like a top 50-100 media metrix spot.

This would make big news. Im really getting phsyched..

But I think that would only work if we all were branded by a little header @ the top of all of our sites.
xuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 04:28 PM   #52
gethosted

Unhappy

Not to mention when I host domains on ezcoolpages.com, we'll have literally hundreds to thousands of unique domains pointing to this advertiser http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif.

------------------
Ezcoolpages: Free 20 megs webhosting for all sites, including celeb.
Harsh Rejection: Send a clever personalized E-poem to show your true feelings.
Celeb Banner Exchange
gethosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 04:36 PM   #53
KP of Snooply
Member.

Unhappy

xuniverse --
There will be branding for sure http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif Not to big. And nothing like About.com. Something small and nice like Lycos maybe. We'd Call it the "AdAthon Group" I think it will be more than 30 million. I've gotten 3 inquiries about giving us their traffic. That's about 10 million combined, from what they told me.

------------------
Kaumil Patel
Snooply.com - We Snoop. You Find.
KP of Snooply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 04:48 PM   #54
xuniverse
Member.

Unhappy

wow... that means maybe we could be getting 50 mill then... or more.. if all goes well... that would easily put us in the top 25 wouldnt it???
xuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 04:56 PM   #55
KP of Snooply
Member.

Unhappy

xuniverse --
This is how the bar would look if we were to do anything.

http://www.adathon.com/thegroup/bar.html

------------------
Kaumil Patel
Snooply.com - We Snoop. You Find.
KP of Snooply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 05:03 PM   #56
Sulla

Unhappy

I like the Lycos type tool bar. What if you also inlcuded a rotating text link in it for each member site. Just a little extra to help move traffic around inside the network.
Sulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 05:12 PM   #57
Lil_Red

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by xuniverse:
wow... that means maybe we could be getting 50 mill then... or more.. if all goes well... that would easily put us in the top 25 wouldnt it???
Hate to burst your bubble but 50 million wouldn't even be close to the top 25. For April 2001, the top 25 had at least 10.6 million unique visitors with the largest having over 90 million uniques.

------------------
Webmaster
http://server.com
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 05:14 PM   #58
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Hello everyone,

My fingers are crossed (x2) and my heart is filled with hope for all of you who wan't to form this network. Your discussion is an enduring and rare example of a healthy and vibrant Community. My best wishes to all of you.

Having said all these warm and cudly thoughts http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif let's cut to the chase with some "tough love". Please remember I'm the "suit" in the backrow (picture at http://geekvillage.com/register_rules_for_bb.htm ) Please return to page one of this thread and read Edwin's post as well as Lil_reds posts. Next a short blurb from our BB Rules:

"Please exercise caution, and good judgement, before entering into any business transaction. Please seek the advice of an attorney and or accountant before entering into any business transaction." Each of you should do this.

This business plan cost money! It's the first step to memorialize what you want to do. Whoes got it and how much? Not your uncle fred and aunt louise but persons who don't work for free, are mutaully acceptable to all parties, and get paid to review and draft business plans and relavent contracts. "I have contacts" doesn't cut the mustard and if it ain't written down it means nothing. This is "business" and not a personal reflection. Whoes got the money upfront for the rest of your "plan" Cold hard greenbacks for hosting and such. Seed money if you will.

Finally, talk me into the fact that a large network is really the best way to go? A conglomeration of sites in an industry that already looks like a "graveyard" What's your "hook"?

My fingers are still crossed (x2) and my heart is still filled with hope for all of you who wan't to form this network.

------------------
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief/Janitor
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant." -Horace
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 05:43 PM   #59
coolshop

Unhappy

I've been reading this with interest.

One thing stikes me though. I don't understand the logic behind branding/nav bar the network of sites as the 'Adathon' network.

Most networks of sites, from the visitor perspective, are grouped together because of some common 'content' reason, theme, or purpose.

Labeling the network 'Adathon' on a nav bar makes it blatant that the entire purpose of the network is to generate ads. While that is the underlying purpose, I don't get what relevance or postive branding that has on the visitors to the network.

Get what I mean?

I think someone was getting at this back a few messages re: About and Luna.

Luna is a behind the scenes name for the representation of the aggregation of a network of sites under the 'About' umbrella. The sites are branded 'About' and associated with the relevant guide topic site. (granted none of us can stand About's approach to all this).

Just my 2 cents.

Amy Strycula
Coolshopping.com http://www.coolshopping.com http://www.coolshopping.tv
coolshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 05:53 PM   #60
Guava

Wink

I agree with CoolShop that the brand name should not contain the word "ad". Just as an example a site being a member of the "Zonify Group" would be better. I also think we should do a similar idea to About.com where each site would be part of a section and on Zonify.com (example only) there would be relevant content to match the sites in the category, hey the sites in the category could even be the ones to provide the content for the Zonify pages making it really easy to get it all setup.

I know the idea of content to match the category complicates this a lot but if you're gonna brand the category there better be something with that brand, some value to it. The more sites in a category then the more content on Zonify for that category. Make it a part of the contract for joining the network "Each member site must provide two pages of content to Zonify which would then become the property of Zonify and would remain on Zonify whether or not a member is still with Zonify".

A little off topic...Don't get hung up on the name of the network/group. I'm sure they'll be plenty of time and lots of choices later. But I think this is a great idea and with a group like this it could definitely go somewhere.
------------------
Guava
NetMongol.com Free E-Mail @YourDomain.com
Keep 100% of the Banner Space! For only $10 per month
NetMongol Affiliate Program Paying $5 per sale and then $2 per month after that

[This message has been edited by Guava (edited 06-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Guava (edited 06-03-2001).]
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote