Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2004, 10:27 AM   #16
yourfreehost

Default NIce

this looks greate will be easefull later on when all browsers are using popup blocker .

i see work between browser and popup unblocker.

hope popup unblocker wins.

beacause of what i have heard popup blocker are on a rise big time like netscape , ie are gonna plan these in the future.

well thanks and i will buy this software it works just have to wait and see

good job
yourfreehost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:15 AM   #17
jnestor

IE will be including a pop blocker in version 6.05 which is supposed to be available in a few months I believe. The pop blocking will also be included in the version of IE that comes pre-installed with whatever the next OS version is.

I have mixed feelings about the product. While I plan to buy it and use it (unless the network I use for most pops buys it themself) I hope that it doesn't get too widespread. The more popular this gets the more pop-blockers will work to block it.

The other fear I have is that there's really a simple solution to blocking pops even if the publisher is using AdOutput Max and that's to block the servers for the ad networks. Unfortunately this will also block the banners and on page ads.

I don't think AdOutput Max supports this but I'd really like to be able to detect pop blockers and banner blockers separately. My personal feeling has been that I won't block people who use pop-blockers but I will block people who use banner blockers. That's a decision each publisher will have to make for themself.

And back on topic - the ad formats and forced pops work great. I think AdOutupt Max really has the options publishers are going to want to see.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:21 PM   #18
Max

Nothing in there a tweaked Mozilla Firefox browser can't handle...

But that revenue.net example link is trying to send ''SearchdtInst.exe" from whenusearch . com
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:54 PM   #19
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

>>>>
Nothing in there a tweaked Mozilla Firefox browser can't handle...
>>>>

C'mon. That's like saying a Ferrari is no good because it can't run underwater.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:08 PM   #20
Max

I should of course have mentioned that 99,999% of internet users don't use a tweaked Firefox Nothing to worry about. But if Google toolbar is upgraded to stop these, that is a different matter.

They do pop up on a default Firefox installation.

I'm still mad about that SearchdtInst.exe. Better submit it to some anti-trojan makers. Grrr...
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #21
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

AND...if I had horns, you could call me the devil. /joke

Respectfully, one day at a time please. It should be obvious that you are paying money for updates which keep pace with the ever changing landscape of the majority (not ever single one please) of blockers.

Best wishes with your product Senior Geek Sashman
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:26 PM   #22
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by Max
They do pop up on a default Firefox installation.
I've got all default installations covered .. However, I don't have all 3rd party providers tested. We just generated our first list http://www.adoutput.com/page.cfm?max_providers, which will make most happy I think.

If anyone is willing to help test on PopBehinds, Burst and Tribal Fusion; it would be extremely helpful as we don't happen to have accounts or contacts with these programs. It's worth a free pre-release copy .

Last edited by Sashman; 02-27-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Sashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #23
b1ing

I wonder if Steve is going to use it on GeekVillage?
b1ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:47 AM   #24
gandalf

Sashman I have a minor bug report

First of all, your script is amazing, I didnt know that you can do this type of things on the client side

I tryed your example 1 and 2 with the google toolbar popup blocker turned on, and both worked. But, if the page that fires the popup is loaded from the cache, the blocker eats the popup and it does not display at all.

Steps to reproduce : Click on example 1, then close the popup manually, then press back on the browser, then forward...
gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:28 AM   #25
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by gandalf
I tryed your example 1 and 2 with the google toolbar popup blocker turned on, and both worked. But, if the page that fires the popup is loaded from the cache, the blocker eats the popup and it does not display at all.
It's just an aspect of the example pages. There is some pretty heavy protection code on those pages that won't be on the released version. Moving through the history over the pages doesn't enable the bypasser because of it.

Last edited by Sashman; 02-28-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:07 PM   #26
jokearound

id just like to say that I went over to the adoutput site today, and saw that the script was AVAILABLE to purchase..needless to say, I jumped on it...

im not sure they are ready for launch yet (the images for the layer conversion are nowhere to be found), but it all seems to have gone smoothly so far, im paid up, and the script is on my site..

time to keep an eye on those stats..
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:02 PM   #27
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by jokearound
im not sure they are ready for launch yet (the images for the layer conversion are nowhere to be found), but it all seems to have gone smoothly so far, im paid up, and the script is on my site..
The images are on the script results page (step 4) http://www.adoutput.com/images.zip .. I didn't want to announce the opening until I've gotten more input on the whole installation process.

I've got the current build of the script (minus layers) running on a few sites and it's increased Casale Media impressions by 18%. I'd love to hear your results.

Email me at support@adoutput.com if you have *any* problems, questions or suggections.

Last edited by Sashman; 03-04-2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:42 PM   #28
Sashman

I want to stress again that if you are using layering with a 3rd party provider you need to ask their permission first, unless you are using your own alternate layer.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:28 PM   #29
JustSurfing

is there a way to juggle this with fastclick's invue.. since we can't run a converted layer with their invue on the same page.
JustSurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:15 PM   #30
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by JustSurfing
is there a way to juggle this with fastclick's invue.. since we can't run a converted layer with their invue on the same page.
Since the popup detection/conversion is not done by the time an invue layer ad has started, there is no real way for a decision to be made to run the invue or not. Given this, a layer conversion is not really an option if you have an invue ad running at the same time. You could possibly stagger the two, but you would probably end up losing money considering one would have to go on the 2nd pageview. This is also contigent on fastclick allowing conversion.

You'd be much better off using just the forced and click method, or perhaps a small custom layer positioned by the tool that wouldn't cover invue's. Although fastclick may have a problem with two layers even though they don't cover each other. If one is informational (ie, "you've got a blocker, the system may not work" message) perhaps they would be ok.

I'm not entirely sure how the invue ad close button is defined but if the popup is blocked and not forced, it ties itself to links on the page to be launched when the user clicks one. If the fastclick close button is a link and not in an iframe, then the popup will trigger when the invue is closed. I'm betting it is both in an iframe and not a link though.