Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2002, 07:53 PM   #61
qball0213

Quote:
Originally posted by shareasale

"We may not agree with their practices, but there is nothing illegal (as of yet)... but at the end of the day, they pay us a lot of money"...

I know it is not directly related...but there are a large number of webmasters who are asking networks and other parties involved to take a HUGE hit monetarily in order to get rid of "theft"ware....

Should we, as a community then...not be able to ask webmasters to take a financial hit in order to rid the we of deceptive advertising? Just a question...
Well there is a difference, the banners just want people to go to their site and check out their product, the other claims money that wrightfully belongs to someone else, and it's certainly happened recently. I don't have a thing against them, as long as they do not interupt my sale in any way, but they have and probably will again, on "accident" I'm sure. We as a community have already taken a hit, would anyone need to run those ads if they had the commission they rightfully earned, sure it's a long shot, I know , vicious(sp) circle and all.
Since you brought it up, how much of a hit do you think merchants and networks will take? And does that factor in the fact that merchants pay commissions on search engine visitors that would've landed on their site anyway, and I'm sure there's probably been some ppc visitors who end up clicking on a popup and getting someone a commission as well as costing someone else a paid for click. I know those guys can send loads of traffic, but it's not highly targeted traffic like we send, I'm using a merchant right now that sells those little remote control cars, and am getting a sale per ten clicks, lets see a parasite match that without using someone else's site.
I will admit I've never really looked at those ads as being bad before, just distractions to me, but if you look at it from a newbie point of view, my sight may seem like the one who tricked them. Something to think about.
qball0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:04 PM   #62
mainarea

Did you see what Gator Corp did to their Precision Date/Time banners? In the bottom left corner they have text that says "Advertisement", and eliminated the top right X. I assume these actions are because of the BONZI lawsuit
mainarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:13 PM   #63
jokearound

mainarea : they did that a while back - I saw an article in adbumbs newsletter, and then a little while after that, they were changed - definately before the 25th of nov when the bonzi lawsuit was formed.

Its great that they did it though..I wonder what effect it had on their CTR..anyone got any info there?
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:37 PM   #64
jkcity

Quote:
Originally posted by mainarea
Did you see what Gator Corp did to their Precision Date/Time banners? In the bottom left corner they have text that says "Advertisement", and eliminated the top right X. I assume these actions are because of the BONZI lawsuit
hehe I seen an ad just today for bonzi software and it was a different type of warnig ad it was white and had police siren looking things on it, I wondered if they where experimenting in new eye grabbing formats.
jkcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 11:14 PM   #65
shareasale
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

qball0213,

I know there is a difference ...but I did want to point out the similarity between the statements made concerning the monetary consequences involved with taking a stand against something that you consider to be borderline in terms of business ethics...
shareasale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:13 AM   #66
qball0213

Brian,
I appreciate the stance you have taken with regards to your network, and the point you were making. Have to go all the way with our ethics, not just as far as suits us.
qball0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 11:21 PM   #67
jkcity

Default Re: In addition

Quote:
Originally posted by warlock667
I personally don't have a problem with the warning ads, but....

With current technologies available, they could easily make this type of ad even more deceptive if they wanted. Using layers (similar to invue ads) and having the banner appear on top of content after say a 5 second delay, using flash to even make a generic window alert sound at the same time, they could make it even worse than it is. Maybe this lawsuit may set some standards and / or limits. ?

Added:

I made a test / sample one just because I was bored. This would definately draw a lawsuit if it were used:

http://www.celebrity-fansites.com/evil_test.html

(IE only)

hehe some sites actually use this this mehtod, I have seen some that are truelly identical to a real warning, and when you click ok it gives permission for scripts to run that install stuff on your machine.

Your example still looks like an ad to me though and the noise made it more realistic althought in NS6 it kept ,making the noise, but it did make me take notice.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:52 PM   #68
v.rich

Back in the days of Flycast, I not only decided not to run Bonzi InternetBoost ads, I put up a 'warning' on my site about the ads and the deception. In my opinion, all of Bonzi's ads are deceptive - in part because all of Bonzi's products don't do what's advertised. (InternetAlert is an 'evil' port monitor -
http://www.google.com/search?q=inter...l+port+monitor

I'm also in the process of suing in small claims court AOL/Time-Warner for deceptive advertising relating to RoadRunner -
fixrr.com - for good explanation of what is deceptive advertising see FTC Truth in Advertising FAQ

There's plenty of scummy advertising out there - and each publisher has to decide what they will and won't run.
Would you run a page llike this?

Whatever others say about the firm/plantiff in this case, one thing is for sure - they got major media attention on the filing of the case! As to what I understand they're asking - punitive and other damages for every person that ever saw an ad, plus $5 for each deceptive ad (billions?) - one thing is for sure: there's no way they'll ever get that kind of money.

Last edited by v.rich; 12-13-2002 at 10:05 PM.
v.rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:16 PM   #69
jkcity

Quote:
Originally posted by v.rich
There's plenty of scummy advertising out there - and each publisher has to decide what they will and won't run.
Would you run a page llike this? .
No I would not but you have taken that to the extreme like the sites that pop up an ad on every hit and stuff, you have made that page so it looks awful I see no problem with a flashing banner only in the way you have presented it, where did you get the ads from BTW? they seemmed to flash faster than anything I had seen before.

note: sorry for the late reply to this, I have been away.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:06 AM   #70
darnell

Quote:
Originally posted by jkcity

No I would not but you have taken that to the extreme .....
He made that page because plenty of sites using an ad company which I will not name had pages that would look exactly like that.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:45 PM   #71
Czar

Webmaster

FYI

While I haven't been following this case and am not aware of whether Lukins & Annis have managed to secure an injunction or similar as yet, it seems that Bonzi has taken some self-defensive action in response to the complaint.

Their ads - as appearing on the FastClick network - no longer borrow visual elements from the Windows GUI, and clearly contain the word 'Advertisement' within the creative.

Old ads:
http://www.lukins.com/bonzi/index.php?pid=banners
New version of top creative:
http://cserver.mii.instacontent.net/...media15917.gif

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:56 PM   #72
OC

Quote:
Originally posted by Czar
[...]
Their ads - as appearing on the FastClick network - no longer borrow visual elements from the Windows GUI, and clearly contain the word 'Advertisement' within the creative.

Old ads:
http://www.lukins.com/bonzi/index.php?pid=banners
New version of top creative:
http://cserver.mii.instacontent.net/...media15917.gif
I just found this thread to tell all of you this only to see Czar already did it.

Here's the latest:
http://img.adsag.com/bonzi/jan03/468...kAdvertise.gif

You'll note the word "Advertisement" is in even larger text.

Maybe they reached a private settlement...
OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:29 PM   #73
jkcity

its not just there 468 banners all there ads now seem to carry the word advertisment, I have seen other companies who using warning ads have added it as well.

I reckon we will see lots of testing by these companies to try an come up withan ad with high ctr you with no liability.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:30 AM   #74
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by jkcity
I reckon we will see lots of testing by these companies to try an come up withan ad with high ctr you with no liability.
Does that mean 'Punch the Monkey' is set to come back for a sequel ala King Kong and family.

The 'winner' banners and pops will be the next to come under assault given that this contest seems to have been so easily won by forfeit.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 03:39 AM   #75
jkcity

Quote:
Originally posted by Czar
Does that mean 'Punch the Monkey' is set to come back for a sequel ala King Kong and family.
It will get into trouble for promoting animal cruilty , seriously thought punch the monkey was a great ad I miss it, for some reason I just always had to punch that monkey.