Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2002, 12:29 PM   #16
qball0213

Quote:
Originally posted by Nintendo
On second thought, about the count down idea, I think a better idea would be to tell visitors WHY to order online. Here's an example.

Two other things that I've done to increase sales BIG time is redirecting visitors to Amazon when some one goes to a dead link since there from search engines and I don't make very much money from them being at my site, and adding a lot of Pay Per Click listings. Here's a dead link example.

Doubled sales just by doing the last two things, seting a record yesterday with 74 items ordered.
How many clicks did you have to send to get 74 orders, just curious.
qball0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 08:39 PM   #17
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Cool

:::When you're rich and famous are you still going to hang out here with us?

Even if I ever get back up to $100,000 a year I'll still come here, though I don't see that comming back for a very LONG time, if ever!!!!!!!

::How many clicks did you have to send to get 74 orders, just curious.

Because most of my visitors are kids and teenagers, it takes A LOT of clicks for me to get orders, not counting PPC listings, those generate sales more often.

That day got 5,335 clicks.

For the quarter so far...

Unique Visitors: 109169
Clicks: 148126
Items Ordered (Amazon): 574
Items Ordered (Marketplace): 219
Old 11-22-2002, 12:04 PM   #18
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Thought I'd share what I've done with Nintendo's great idea.

I put one of Amazon's animated holiday graphics on the home page of one of my sites with the following text:
Quote:
Imagine the mall...hot, crowded, noisy. Now, consider doing your holiday shopping online from the comfort of your own home. Ahhhh!

Shipping is free on purchases over $25.00.
Most of my pages are in the root directory, although the sound and image files associated with each page are in individual sub-directories. I put a redirect script in each sub-directory as an index.html file. The redirect sends the visitor to the Outlet page on Amazon. Ideally I'd like to customize each index file so that it sends the visitor to Amazon search results that are topical for the specific page, but that's a whole lot more work than I have time for right now.

And...I'll probably hit the 6.0% tier this weekend! Do I hear a 'woo-hoo'?
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 08:55 PM   #19
Nintendo

Cool

:::And...I'll probably hit the 6.0% tier this weekend! Do I hear a 'woo-hoo'?

Don't get excited just yet, wait until you do it and can see the resaults of it. I'm not sure how much it helps, since I'm also doing a few other things to bomb them with visitors, PPC and the dead links.

An easy way to generate dead links is to just change the URLs and let the search engines give you a ton of Amazon hits. With in the last day I changed the URLs of around 21,000 files and will be sending Amazon around 5,000 clicks a day because of that. Soon the robots will find out and update the links and then when the Holiday season comes around next year I'll do it again.

Yah, I know, it's mean, but oh well, video game content desn't make very much money these days. I've been geting A LOT of 'Other (Redirect)' sales over the last two weeks. Almost all of these are comeing from either PPC search engine listings or the dead links.

Dead link stats. Now if only I had started doing this a month ago!! That increase was from changing SSI pages from .html to .shtml. Before that I was geting around 500 error clicks a day.

Last edited by Nintendo; 11-23-2002 at 11:53 PM.
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:33 PM   #20
qball0213

So you are saying you set your 404 to redirect to amazon, then you changed all of your urls, so everything coming from search engines just ends up being redirected to amazon?
Is amazon okay with that? And does that really sound like a good idea?
qball0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 10:06 PM   #21
Nintendo

Cool

::o you are saying you set your 404 to redirect to amazon

It goes to a framed page that has a hidden frame with the stat counter, and Amazon on the right. All they see is Amazon's Game Cube list.

For example: http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/nin...mdghmtml.shtml

:::so everything coming from search engines just ends up being redirected to amazon?

BINGO!!!$$$!!!

:::Is amazon okay with that?

The last thing there going to get mad at is generating lots of sales. Now if I was geting paid per click, then yes, it would be fraud.

:::And does that really sound like a good idea?

Sure does when you makes a lot more $$$$$ than you get from visitors viewing the content. All the visitors have to do that don't want to shop is press back on the browser, while the others do there Christmas shopping.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:27 PM   #22
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Ahem. I'll take that 'woo-hoo' now!

Of course I don't expect to make it to the next tier this quarter. Maybe if I can figure out how to do a better job of converting clicks to sales I'll be able to pull it off next year.

Gotta tell you though...I never worked this hard for so little money before. This monetizing business is a lot of work.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:25 AM   #23
Nintendo

Cool

:::This monetizing business is a lot of work.

You got that right!!! It varies a lot. I can never guess how much I'll make when I do a change because it varies so much. My 74 item record day got 5,335 clicks while on 11/23 I gave them 10,489 clicks and that generated 'only' 60 items, my third best day ever, geting 35 items ordered thanks to the dead link trick that gave them over 7,000 clicks...

*Updated*

while on 11/26 I gave them 9,355 clicks and got 87 items ordered, a new record, with around 60 of the items being ordered from people comming from the dead links in the search engines. Now if only 53 of the items had been expensive stuff instead of books!!!!

Last edited by Nintendo; 11-26-2002 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:47 AM   #24
Czar

Webmaster

Go you good thing!

Still plenty of festive shopping days to go. Let's see if you can't break the 100-item-a-day barrier and humble us all.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 03:36 PM   #25
Nintendo

Cool

Yep, that's my goal. 100 items in one day.

I still can't understand why some people don't even try the sales affiliet programs!! They should atleast try Amazon during November and December, the big money maker months!!!!!

You can bet that I'll start making more Amazon link sites with in a few months!!!! A toy site, music site, movies site, two book sites, tools and hardware site, houseware site, cloths site.....all like the OrderVideoGames site, that uses frames to get them listed in the search engines, around 4,000 HTML framed pages just from that site. I think you can say I'm addicted to the Amazon affiliet program!!!
Old 11-26-2002, 07:02 PM   #26
Rhea

Nintendo wrote:
Quote:
A toy site, music site, movies site, two book sites, tools and hardware site, houseware site, cloths site.....all like the OrderVideoGames site, that uses frames to get them listed in the search engines, around 4,000 HTML framed pages just from that site. I think you can say I'm addicted to the Amazon affiliet program!!!
Okay, now I'm a little worried about you. I hope you've budgeted time for some R&R in your plans!
Old 11-26-2002, 07:28 PM   #27
jokearound

Nintendo - I thought framed sites werent spidered by search engines?
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 09:18 PM   #28
Nintendo

Cool

<NOFRAMES>
This is what the Search engines use. Links and content goes here. 99.999% of the visitors won't view it, but the search engines will.
</NOFRAMES>

:::Okay, now I'm a little worried about you. I hope you've budgeted time for some R&R in your plans!

Yes, I rest!!! My recreation is doing the internet stuff. I would much rather be doing the internet stuff than going on vacation to Disneyland, Hawaii, or Italy. Now if only I could live a sleepless life!!!

If any of you listen to Rush Limbaugh on the radio or through his web site and hear the parodies, then you've probably hurd one of the domains that I'll be using, for a political/news book store
WeWannaDoAnyThingWeWannaDoAnyTimeWeWannaDoIt.com
Old 11-27-2002, 03:33 AM   #29
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Nintendo
I still can't understand why some people don't even try the sales affiliet programs!! They should atleast try Amazon during November and December, the big money maker months!!!!!
Well, I don't know what was the deciding factor; perhaps it was the overload of exclamation marks, or possibly the introduction of web services, but you managed to talk me into the Amazon game this year.

Although I've used them as an affiliate forever (since late 96 or early 97), their creatives never managed to work their way into high-visibility spots or mini-sites until I heard the 64th positive pitch from you. I sure hope they're nice enough to slide a bonus or two your way for all this help.
Quote:
WeWannaDoAnyThingWeWannaDoAnyTimeWeWannaDoIt.com
Wow! I can feel the deluge of type-in traffic flowing already. j/k Another candidate for the spiderific Google, no doubt.

Let us know when you do break 100 and we'll pop open a bottle of the good stuff in your honor (as will Mr Bezos).

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 08:47 AM   #30
Rhea

You could get three times the bang for your buck if you break WeWannaDoAnyThingWeWannaDoAnyTimeWeWannaDoI
t.com down to three URLs. Of you could have a master site called wewannado.com. Kinda catchy. Is wannado.com taken?

I don't get my news commentary from Mr. Limbaugh. I get it from NPR!