Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2002, 05:55 PM   #1
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default Amazon.com, ever get huge orders???

Do any of you ever get huge orders? Yesterday some one used my site to enter the world of video games. The person ordered 24 items, two of each item, or 48 items total, including three systems, the Game Cube, X-Box, and Playstation. Yes, just like the news says, the resession is allready dead. (Last quarter the economy grew 5.8 percent!)
Old 04-26-2002, 06:31 PM   #2
Lil_Red

The part they are downplaying is where consumer debt is at an all time high. People are already spending beyond what they can afford to pay for.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 07:29 PM   #3
jokearound

heres hoping you dont get that sale reversed due to CC fraud - it sounds suss to me, I mean who orders all that at once? (and 2 of each? weird)
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 08:35 PM   #4
havaloc

Default Re: Amazon.com, ever get huge orders???

Someone bought an Xbox from me with a stolen credit card, and that was one item (off eBay). I would suspect that it could be fraud, but who knows.

Also, the recession is NOT dead, not by a long shot. I think we are only seeing the brink. Eventually all that credit card debt is going to explode. People are still getting laid off left and right.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nintendo
Do any of you ever get huge orders? Yesterday some one used my site to enter the world of video games. The person ordered 24 items, two of each item, or 48 items total, including three systems, the Game Cube, X-Box, and Playstation. Yes, just like the news says, the resession is allready dead. (Last quarter the economy grew 5.8 percent!)

Last edited by havaloc; 04-26-2002 at 08:37 PM.
havaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 05:37 AM   #5
MarkJH

Nice sale Nintendo, hope it's a legit buyer!

I use Amazon on my music site to sell music cds. Somebody a couple of days ago bought themselves a 1/2" Plunge Router! Still, it's worth a few hundred dollars, more than any cd! Amazing.
MarkJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 07:09 AM   #6
Meowser

I had someone place an order for 55 Patriotic Music CD's first week of April. So far it hasn't shipped so I figured it was a fraudulant order.

Hopefully this is not the case for you and you get a nice hefty profit from the sales!
Meowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 11:44 AM   #7
1lit

I know there is a cap of 10 for Amazon.co.uk and thought there was a similar one for Amazon.com, no?

Basically, no matter how much the total order is, you can't earn more than 10 in commission with Amazon UK.

P.S. The recession is far from over. Like someone said, Americans don't have the $$$s in their pockets. They are living off credit, and will pay for their extravagence one day.
1lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 12:22 PM   #8
havaloc

I think the commission cap is per item, not per order.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1lit
I know there is a cap of 10 for Amazon.co.uk and thought there was a similar one for Amazon.com, no?

Basically, no matter how much the total order is, you can't earn more than 10 in commission with Amazon UK.

P.S. The recession is far from over. Like someone said, Americans don't have the $$$s in their pockets. They are living off credit, and will pay for their extravagence one day.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:23 PM   #9
david11982

I believe there is a referral cap of $10 per item for amazon.com. An affiliate can earn an unlimited referral amount per order, but they can only earn a maximum of $10 for each individual item. In other words, the referral earnings for an item that sells for $200 will be the same as the referral earnings for an item that sells for $8,000.

In Nintendo's case, it appears that he sold a lot of individual items, most of them under $200 (except for the PS2 and XBox, which are $299). So Nintendo still earned a sizeable commission from that sale. Congrats!

PS - If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe the $10 cap exists on books. So if you can find any books that sell for over $200 and you manage to sell them somehow, you can earn over $10 commission for that item.
david11982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 09:59 AM   #10
jnestor

Oddly enough only about 50% of my Amazon sales seem to be related to my site's content (TV). I also get Windows XP sales, games and yes the occasional tool. I suppose people are just supporting the site by driving their Amazon purchases through my affiliate link. Makes me wonder if Amazon is going to alter their agreement so they wouldn't have to pay on such purchases. Clearly they were going to get the sale regardless.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 02:08 PM   #11
1lit

I believe that Amazon are going to scrap their affiliate program. Period.

The time is going to come very soon when they won't need affiliates. They have the brand recognition. Most people know their URL. Why give away 5% of the sale price to someone else?
1lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 02:18 PM   #12
havaloc

I think its prohibited in their terms and conditions.

With a lot of hardcover books 30% plus an additional 15% off through a specific link, that's not too bad of a discount.

Also 1lit, I don't think you'll have to worry about them discontinuing their program anytime soon. Its cost effective for them, as they only pay for results, and its basically free advertising. I'm sure all these sites who brand with Amazon are giving Amazon free recognition because people will turn around later in the day /week/month and goto Amazon.com on their own.

Quote:
Originally posted by jnestor
Oddly enough only about 50% of my Amazon sales seem to be related to my site's content (TV). I also get Windows XP sales, games and yes the occasional tool. I suppose people are just supporting the site by driving their Amazon purchases through my affiliate link. Makes me wonder if Amazon is going to alter their agreement so they wouldn't have to pay on such purchases. Clearly they were going to get the sale regardless.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:21 PM   #13
havaloc

..delete..

Last edited by havaloc; 04-29-2002 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:44 PM   #14
maddeningcrowds

It would seem to me to be a very odd move for amazon to scrap the program... after all, if people know the brand, then they go staight there, so they only pay 5% on sales they wouldn't have made otherwise.

I guess you do get some visitors just being nice to you, but also people just browse don't they....? One minute their on a TV site, they see an affiliate link that looks nice, they browse amazon, they remember that plunger they were going to buy... that's how browsing works.
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 07:41 PM   #15
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lightbulb

:::I believe that Amazon are going to scrap their affiliate program. Period.

Right now it doesn't look that way at all. They just mailed out the Quarter Report and ended it with this....

::::Thanks again for participating in the Amazon.com Associates Program, and have a great next quarter.

We get them business that they probably wouldn't of got and in return we get paid for it, not to mention the free advertising. It would be a very dumb move if they scrapped the program.