Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email > Anti-Spam Talk For Webmasters
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2002, 02:21 PM   #1
shareasale
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default Experience with the following sites?

Anyone ever dealt with any of the following sites / ...specifically, with regards to SPAM advertising... ... I have searched here as well as several other boards, but i haven't been able to scrounge up anything...

just looking for anyone's experiences....

leadclub.net
realreply.com
quickregister.net
easyempires.com
topsafelist.com
shareasale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 02:57 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure whether you're looking for this information as a potential advertiser, or in your capacity as an affiliate manager where you suspect fraud (or a breach of your TOS) has taken place. If the former, I'd suggest you stay far away from any of these tacky 'safelists'. Those that aren't operated by spammers are essentially formed in an attempt to somehow legitimize incentivized traffic or boost lead volume with artificial speed.

One thing worth noting right away is that while I had one of these sites open, an automatic post request was made (and fortunately caught by IE's security features) that attempted to have my default email addy sent to the site owner. I believe LeadClub was the culprit of that particular dirty trick.

If these properties are amongst your affiliates and you are concerned that they may have produced bogus leads, check whether they identified themselves as incentive sites, lead clubs or otherwise notified the merchants they're using as to the nature of their businesses. From what I gather, the bulk of your merchants either explicitly or implicitly claim to reject leads derived through network marketing systems and incentivized methods, so a failure of the affiliate to disclose this would tend to paint their intentions in a negative light.

Unfortunately, as I type this the popular anti-spam resource geocrawler.net appears to be down, but you might like to turn to their archives to research this. Apart from that, Google Groups is always a good source of data. A few quick searches of their archives turned up the following several entries from Net-Abuse Sightings, which would tend to confirm your suspicions (note, though, that some of the offenses seem to have been commited by affiliates or 'members' of these programs, and perhaps were not endorsed by the owners):
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...q=leadclub.net
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=realreply.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ckregister.net
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...asyempires.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=to...oe=UTF-8&hl=en

Certainly not the cleanest of records for any of the names you mentioned...

HTH

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV

Last edited by Czar; 12-17-2002 at 03:17 PM.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 02:59 PM   #3
shareasale
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Czar,

Thanks...

That was pretty much my thought, just wanted to hear from anybody in case there were good things to say.

Certainly, its not a good sign when the site attempts the ol' automatic email form post thing... probably considers those opt ins. It happened on all of those sites if you happened to try any of them...
shareasale is offline   Reply With Quote