Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2001, 01:42 PM   #1
pearce6
Member.

Unhappy Taxes Please Help

This is first year i have started to earn ANY MONEY. My question is HOW do i pay taxes?? each month or end of year? When exactly? Also how much will i have to pay (UK) i expext to make about a thousand a month.

This is important to me because i dont want to be accused fraud. LOL Please help
pearce6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 02:27 PM   #2
pearce6
Member.

Unhappy

PLEASE http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif)
Old 03-06-2001, 03:32 PM   #3
Lil_Red

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by pearce6:
This is first year i have started to earn ANY MONEY. My question is HOW do i pay taxes?? each month or end of year? When exactly? Also how much will i have to pay (UK) i expext to make about a thousand a month.

This is important to me because i dont want to be accused fraud. LOL Please help

The best thing you can do is go to a professional who handles taxes in your country. They will know the laws.

------------------
Webmaster
http://server.com
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 04:46 PM   #4
Kaycee

Unhappy

I'm not sure how it is in the U.K., but here in the States, you have to make a NET Profit of $400 or more before you're even required to file a report of Self-Employment income.

In determining the NET Profit Earnings here, you subtract the costs of computers, software, advertising, a room used primarily for your business in your home, etc.

Also here in the US, if you were to call a Tax Man asking him what Taxes you are liable for in making money on the Internet, he'll respond with "PLENTY". He won't inform you of your tax deductions until you put money in his hand. Then you may find you were not even required to file, because you didn't make $400 NET PROFIT (income).

Your Affiliate Program checks that are sent to you are GROSS income. It is the NET income that you are required to report (if $400 or more in a year).

Kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 04:53 PM   #5
Lil_Red

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaycee:
I'm not sure how it is in the U.K., but here in the States, you have to make a NET Profit of $400 or more before you're even required to file a report of Self-Employment income.

In determining the NET Profit Earnings here, you subtract the costs of computers, software, advertising, a room used primarily for your business in your home, etc.

Also here in the US, if you were to call a Tax Man asking him what Taxes you are liable for in making money on the Internet, he'll respond with "PLENTY". He won't inform you of your tax deductions until you put money in his hand. Then you may find you were not even required to file, because you didn't make $400 NET PROFIT (income).

Your Affiliate Program checks that are sent to you are GROSS income. It is the NET income that you are required to report (if $400 or more in a year).

Actually, you have to report the gross income and then show your deductions against it as the affiliate programs submit 1099s to the government which means you have to claim the income regardless of whether you make a profit. If your expenses exceed your income then you would report a loss on your taxes.

Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 08:06 PM   #6
Kaycee

Unhappy

The question that must first be asked is: Is this income Self-Employment Income?

If it is Self-Employment income, the IRS requires you to file if you make $400 or more "NET".

Read the IRS's "Who must file" section.
Kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 11:36 PM   #7
pearce6
Member.

Unhappy

When do i have to do this?? Once a year?? if so what month. Thanks for all the advice and do u know any websites with more detailed advice.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2001, 11:46 PM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Check the websites of your local government departments. You should find a wealth of information regarding the calculation and payment of taxes, as well as a directory of certified accountants and/or links to further resources for small businesses.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote