Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2001, 01:28 PM   #1
Default Let's fight back

I have had enough of people surfing my site using ad-blocking software so I have turned to APACHE to help me out however I am only half way there

I am using .htaccess directives to stop people bnrowsing my site using this type of software and have got some (from this forum) but I want more software to block

Heres what I have sofar

# block offline browsers
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Offline* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebZIP* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebReaper* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Anarchie* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Mass\ Down* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Slurp* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^BlackWidow* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Web********* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Wget* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebHook* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Teleport*
# adblocking software
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*Ad.*Muncher.*v4.*.* [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*NetCaptor.* [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*WebWasher.* [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*adsubtract.*$ [NC,OR]
# Send leeches to denied page
RewriteRule ^.*$ /docs/robots_denied.html [L]
Can anyone add any ad-blocking sotware's HTTP_USER_AGENT to this list?
Old 07-27-2001, 01:35 PM   #2

I would recommend blocking anything with the words "popup", "banner", "killer", or "ad" in the user agent field. Sure you may lose traffic from a legitimate browser named "popup killer" but I really doubt it .
Old 07-27-2001, 05:15 PM   #3

Hey Dave1, thanks for those rules. I like to collect Apache rules... hehehehe.

You may try searching google... I haven't checked in awhile, but last time I went looking I found these rules to block bulk email collecting software.

#Block email collectors
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^EmailSiphon [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^EmailWolf [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^ExtractorPro [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Mozilla.*NEWT [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Crescent [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^CherryPicker [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^[Ww]eb[Bb]andit [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebEMailExtrac.* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Telesoft [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Zeus.*Webster [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Microsoft.URL [OR]
#RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Mozilla/3.Mozilla/2.01 [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^EmailCollector
RewriteRule ^.*$ /we_hate_filthy_spammers.html [L]

I've commented out the Mozilla one, since it
could block, as far as I remember from the comments on the web page, any browser based on Mozilla that's created using some specific Visual Basic libraries. It was some seemingly low percentage of traffic, but I decided not to take a chance with it. I wish I could remember the page, but that was a while ago.

Also, people should check this thread out for more helpful ad-blocking discussion:
Old 07-27-2001, 06:30 PM   #4

Web ********, Offline Explorer, WebZIP, and some of the others you have there are actually spiders. They are more descructive in my opinion than anyone blocking ads from your site because they spider your entire site which inflate your page views and gets you banned from programs. I can't use search boxes on my site for this reason, been booted from two places. I would definitely put Teleport Pro in your list as it's the most common spider. I've gone a step further than you and had an entire collection of scripts written to handle this problem. I don't use htaccess because my list would be too long Fortunately I have a dedicated server and have root so I use ipchains which completely bans an IP. I have one script to parse the log file looking for those agents and ban them on sight. I then have another script to ban any IP accessing more than 40 files (not including .gif and .jpg) in 60 seconds. I then have a hidden tag in my site pointing to /cgi-bin/mustdie.pl which bans any IP hitting that I think I catch about 99% of unwanted spiders. My scripts also allow me to tell it certain domains not to ban such as search engines. Last but not least, my script unbans each IP after 24 hours. After about a month of doing this I think I finally have the problem under control. Anyway, here's my list of agents to ban:

Teleport|Offline Explorer

If you have large files on your site I suggest allowing GetRight and NetAnts since they can also be used solely as download agents. The problem is, they can also be used to grab your entire site.
Old 07-27-2001, 07:55 PM   #5

Hi Folks

Just wish to ask whether its possible to write a program in JavaScript to be instaled on html pages and can block the mentioned ad-blocking software or just to display a blank page if the surfer is using such software?

Old 07-27-2001, 08:12 PM   #6

You mean the ad blocking software actually gives a real USER_AGENT string? How sloppy of them. ^_^