Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2000, 07:23 AM   #46
lemon

Unhappy

This is a little bit offtopic, but I am lately spending a lot of time at my computer, like most of you do, and I am growingly concerned with the health of my eyes and overall. I would like to find what's the best monitor I could get for working at my computer and would like you help me choose the best option.

I currently use a 17" ViewSonic monitor (.25 dot pitch) and my usual resolution mode is 1024x768x32bitx100Hz. I think 19" or 21" would be better, but I also don't know if I should go after TFT flat screens, CRT or plasma. I am willing to pay more if it's worth it. Space is not a main concern as I have a lot.

My current monitor has very low magnetic radiation, and would like the new one to have very low manetic radiation too. There is also the picture stability issue (refresh rate) etc. If I am not wrong TFT screens are completely stable, it's this always true? and what magnetic radiation levels they have? Is 18.1" big enough for a TFT screen?

Hope this topic could help others on this board as well get a better monitor for themselves.

[This message has been edited by lemon (edited 08-02-2000).]
lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 08:37 AM   #47
Kurbin

Unhappy

Would you guys mind sharing a few of the techniques you use to generate the income? My site www.diinecro.com gets between 15k and 30k impressions per day, but I am only making between $400-$600 per month.

Do newsletters make a lot of your money? If they do how do you implement adverts into them (and what type).

And if possible could you break it down. Like banners are making this much, and text banners are making this much, etc. I'm sure this type of discussion will be helpful to the experienced and the uninitiated like myself. Lets turn this thread into something that is repeatedly referred to.

Oh, and how many impressions per month would be helpful as well.

Thanks,
Kurbin

[This message has been edited by Kurbin (edited 08-02-2000).]
Kurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 10:27 AM   #48
cheatindex

Unhappy

qpabani2, it's always great to hear from a fellow Canadian. Big country, not so big population...

Knix, I get paid in US dollars. Converted we are talking about 25000 CND. Life is nice, I won't deny it, but this is not a long term solution, and putting webmaster on a resume simply doesn't cut it for certain employers, so I have kept my traditional jobs.

RaviJP, I don't fully agree. It all depends on where you shop. True, if you go to companies that are situated in the US such as Walmart and have moved up north, you'll find somethings priced unfairly, but shop Canadian and I don't think you'll find those issues.

lemon, I hear that flat screen monitors are not as bright as normal monitors, but still viewable. I would think that would help with the eyes. I know that if I am using the computer for too long, I bring down the brightness or contrast level on the monitor.

And hey, there is always laser eye surgery. hehe.
cheatindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 10:55 AM   #49
JP Sauve
Member.

Unhappy

Can I live off my online income? I have been living off it pretty well for almost 3 years now, but for the first time in quite awhile I'm starting have doubts.

CPM rock bottom, CJ merchants cutting their PER LEAD payouts, competiton everywhere driving ad prices even lower.

I'm actually getting scared I might have to find a normal job. Very scared. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
JP Sauve
ScoreLarge.com - free stuff and bladder busting humor
JP Sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 02:51 PM   #50
Knix

Unhappy

Well, i'm running a 16 inch monitor at about 1280x1024 with the contrast and brightness up all the way all the time, for 8 - 12 hours a day... My eyes feel great... and on top of all of that I'm actually getting in better shape and have a better tan than at the beggining of the summer, hehe, the tan is partly due to the fact that its 5 PM here and I just got back from a 5 - 6 hour fishing trip http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif. I don't think I could go for laser eye surgery, have any of you seen the proceedure for that? OUCH http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

OH, and by the way, about the newsletter thingy, there are a lot of ways you can run ads in them, if you join up with topica they run ads for you and pay you a certain amount per subscriber per mailing... its not great, but I guess it adds up...

------------------
Greg

www.dumbpics.com

[This message has been edited by Knix (edited 08-02-2000).]
Knix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 04:06 PM   #51
mlbs2000
Member.

Unhappy

Knix, thanks for the idea of a laptop. I've always wanted to have one (When my parants get up at night and check in my room, I can hide it so they think I'm asleep http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif). BTW, My dad has one for work http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif. It's been real great since I got my own computer about 2 weeks ago, now my family has 4 computers. Mine, dad's, old one without the net, and my dad's work one (laptop) http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif.

Anyway, while I'm here. All you successful webmasters (You'll know if you are), I'd like to know where you started, I can't really be all that specific, just tell a litttle story or something http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif. I think that would help me out a LOT with my sites. Hmmm..... today is no school, so I'm going to try and get 2 layouts done today (My new site has 5 subsites, meaning 6 layouts, and only 2 are done).

Oh well, that's all from me. This topic is starting to be really popular, kinda feels like the "geek/chat" forum kinda topic, but it isn't http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif.

------------------
From Mafyou/MLBS2000[*]Webpage: The Entertainment Gold Network (Coming back soon)[*]E-mail: mlbs2000@hotmail.com [*]ICQ: 74466003[*]AIM/AOL: Mafyou54
mlbs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 05:39 PM   #52
Knix

Unhappy

Oh, I think by now this is geek/yak material... nobody's really talking a whole lot about money making anymore (hehe, I'm probably the worst) But I was thinking, tell me if this is a great idea. A laptop with a cellular modem (I know they have SOMETHING like that but I don't know what they are called or how good they are but I want one). Then you could be like playing basketball or something in the gym, be like, uh oh, time to work, sit down do some work and then be right back to playing basketball. OR you could work while on long trips and such. ANYWAYS, I'm way off topic, and some body is going to kill me...

------------------
Greg

www.dumbpics.com
Old 08-02-2000, 07:12 PM   #53
zMan

Unhappy

"Wireless Internet" - that is.

The fastest connection speed for Wireless Internet that currently exists is 14.8KBPS (I belive?) , but it's all right considering that the idea is new, and it will surely get better in the future.

They also have Wireless Internet in some cellular phones now (I have one of those) ... Though only few major websites are accessible such as Yahoo!, Amazon, eBay, AOL, and a few others since they have to create some special pages for it to work correctly on cellular phones. Still, it's pretty cool and it's worth it since I can check my emails anywhere I am. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

Take care...
- zMan
zMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 10:43 PM   #54
mlbs2000
Member.

Unhappy

Hmmm..... the idea is nice. By the time I leave school to try and be a pilot, the speed will be a lot faster, and maybe Rats will take over the world (or not http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif). BTW, it is slow enough for me as it is, being that New Zealand is a bit away from America (slower than US to view US sites), I have a normal if not slow connection (Ummm..... the thing on my computer is slowish, my internet provider is also slow).

BTW, this is the first 3 page topic in a while, well atleast first one in a while I've replied to a bit.

------------------
From Mafyou/MLBS2000[*]Webpage: The Entertainment Gold Network (Coming back soon)[*]E-mail: mlbs2000@hotmail.com [*]ICQ: 74466003[*]AIM/AOL: Mafyou54

[This message has been edited by mlbs2000 (edited 08-02-2000).]
mlbs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 11:36 PM   #55
Sedesrem

Smile

Hahahaha! I'm the happiest guy here! I live in Russia. I pay less than 100$/mo for a great flat here. And spend the same onn other needs such as food, clothes etc.

I don't need to work anywhere here. If I have 500$/mo I have no problems at all.

The best way guys is to put a lot of glue on your chair in front the monitor - and to make one more site, i.e. to add 100-200$/mo. Then again and again and again...
Sedesrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 07:32 AM   #56
Knix

Unhappy

only 14.4, thats too bad, i can barely handle this 26.4 connection, its sooooo slow... oh, and i just looked, i'm connected at a super fast 24.0 today, YEAH,,, I love it http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif... Anyways..................

------------------
Greg

www.dumbpics.com
Old 08-03-2000, 08:19 AM   #57
zMan

Arrow

Knix:

Do you have Cable at your house? If you do, you can get a Cable Modem for just $39.99/monthly, plus they are offering free setup right now so you will save an extra $99.00 or whatever their usual setup charges are.

It's worth it! And $39.99 isn't a big amount either, considering that my phone line is always free, and I save on phone calls too, plus I only have to give AOL $9.95/m. now instead of $21.95 since I use their BYOA (Bring Your Own Access) service.

Just my thoughts. Or you can even go for a DSL modem.

Take care...
- zMan
zMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 09:14 AM   #58
Knix

Unhappy

Sadly I don't have the option of getting cable or dsl out here http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif. I'm thinking of going for a T-1 if possible. Maybe in a month or two, I can handle a dial-up until then. Although is it true that on cloudy days and such T-1s are slow or don't work at all? I remember hearing that somewhere.

------------------
Greg

www.dumbpics.com
Old 08-03-2000, 09:28 AM   #59
Aaron Dragushan

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by cheatindex:
Knix, I get paid in US dollars. Converted we are talking about 25000 CND. Life is nice, I won't deny it, but this is not a long term solution, and putting webmaster on a resume simply doesn't cut it for certain employers, so I have kept my traditional jobs.
Naw, just change "Webmaster" to "Entrepreneur" and they'll change their tune, believe me. IMHO, If you're living off a site, or even generating decent income from one, you are an entrepreneur. Period.
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 10:15 AM   #60
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

Quote:
Naw, just change "Webmaster" to "Entrepreneur" and they'll change their tune, believe me. IMHO, If you're living off a site, or even generating decent income from one, you are an entrepreneur. Period.
great advice Aaron, i am gonna use it http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ... i mean entrepreneur sounds alot better... even though i am basically doing this at home in my room with 3 pcs and my tv tuner card http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Evangelion in the 21st century
Eva2000.com
Australian Star Wars Prequels
ThePrequels.net
Anime2001 Network
Anime2001.com
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote