Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2002, 01:00 PM   #16
qball0213

Quote:
Originally posted by Guava

Might want to double-check that qball. I went to earthlink.net (same as earthlink.com) and there wasn't a single pop or reference to gator.

Did you actually mean the mispell of earthlink.com to be eartlink.com? I went there and it was ugly. Pops and gator DL's just like you said.
Doh, how the heck did I misspell both of them, hehe, what a maroon.
qball0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 01:05 PM   #17
maddeningcrowds

>> Just direct all the visitors from Earthlink to a page that say that this site is up deu to the popups in it, and that if they want to view it that they better get a real ISP that don't try to stop the usage of stansards.

Exactly

I don't make any money from those with ad blockers, so I don't loose anything by not letting them visit my site. If many webmasters do this..... well I think not being able to get to the page you want is much more annoying than an occasional popup.
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 01:10 PM   #18
OC

Let's try to remain fair and balanced. It's too easy to get worked up because this is a touchy subject that is very annoying and very unfortunate for a lot webmasters.

It isn't illegal right now. So does EarthLink have the legal rights to do this? Yes.

You also have the legal rights to block all EarthLink users. I wouldn't recommend this unless your site's revenue is generated primarily by pop ups.
OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 01:17 PM   #19
highschoolnation

Someone's loss is another's gain..thats how business works..Sad,but true.
highschoolnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 01:36 PM   #20
darnell

Default Earthlink has the page up

Earthlink now has their pop-up blocker page up .
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 01:50 PM   #21
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulT
Well, I don't really think we can do much about this.

However, to be honest with you - I don't see either MSN or AOL going down this route, simply because they both own large web-properties that run pop-up / under ads.

If they did decide to block pop-up ads, surely they would be shooting themselves in the foot as they may suddenly find their web properties unprofitable?

I have to agree with Lil_Red about pop-up delivery. I've seen many sites with 3 or 4 pop-up ads on just one page, and when I've informed the ad networks (ValueClick for an example) they simply aren't interested at all.
I certainly hope they (AOL + MSN + others) don't join the frey BUT, it's seems to me a rather trivial matter to permit pops on a MSN or AOL site. After all, each client machine uses their software to connect which can easily be modified <sigh>

In some respects you could think of this in the same vein as the Gator "blackmail" where they sell a given URL which will be excluded from the Gator attack. I believe it was 25K a url.

BTW, pardon the broken record comment but this issue effects Merchants and Publishers.

Natch, just my views and hope like heck that I'm wrong

Last edited by Steve_S; 08-19-2002 at 01:55 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 01:57 PM   #22
funtoon

Default Re: Earthlink has the page up

Quote:
Originally posted by darnell
Earthlink now has their pop-up blocker page up .
This is just great, I was recording around 6-7% usage of pop-up blockers, now they give these stuff for free, I dont know how much % increase will we see ........
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 01:59 PM   #23
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

No matter if your feelings on popups are good, bad, or indifferent the real issue here is that a large ISP has decided how YOU should make money.

I guarantee you that if Earthlink took a poll of its users 90% of them would say that they hate banner ads. Maybe Earthlink will decide next that they won't display your banner ads. Or too many of their users will be "confused" by skyscraper ads. Let's ban them too.

Remember that all surfers want all content for free, with no ads, 100% of the time. The surfer does not care about web publishers making revenue.

Websites that use the "slash-and-burn" method of never ending popup chains pretty much dissapear on their own anyway.

I'd find the range of Earthlink's IP's and redirect them to a page which contains Earthlink's toll free customer support number and email address and tell the user that Earthlink has modified your website and that they are not permitted to view it and to contact Earthlink to fix the problem.
edited for spelling (My 3rd grade teacher Miss Riccardo would have been shocked!)

Last edited by Robert from SI; 08-19-2002 at 02:02 PM.
Robert from SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 02:20 PM   #24
darnell

I'm thinking the AOL's of the world (Aol, netzero, etc.) will not jump on. Since they (AOL) are not even going to block pops in Netscape 7. So other major ISPs is not an issue.

But many of the tiny ISPs may jump on board.

I think the best way to fight back would be to have some MAJOR web sites ban Earthlink users. That along with smaller sites banning Earthlink users just for being with Earthlink would raise some issues for the ISP. I mean, if Earthlink users were banned from Usatoday.com, CNN.com, Abcnews.com, Weather.com and a few other major sites that their users know and love that would cause Earthlink some major customer support problems.

I'm hoping some major players react to this.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 02:25 PM   #25
funtoon

Just curious but does any body know the % of traffic earthlink has.
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 05:18 PM   #26
Darryl

From Earthlink's page:
Quote:
A customizable list so you can view pop-up windows at sites when you want to or where they are required
Interesting - so what we REALLY need here is something that detects whether it's been activated AND whether your site is included or excluded in the blocking.

I wonder if Earthlink would be willing to provide us with data on how this could be detected?
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 05:38 PM   #27
joetec

I think a bunch of sites and ad networks should team up and sue the larger adkilling companies (earthlink, adsubtract, etc) in the same way the new york times, washingtonpost, etc did with gator.

It is pretty much the same thing as gator is doing just in a slightly differnt form. Companies like adsubtract and now earthlink are changing the publishers webpage without consent from the publisher.

And right now the anti-ad blockers are the only way to keep this from happening.

If someone here wanted to try to start a lawsuit like this I would be happy to donate some cash to the cause.
joetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 05:39 PM   #28
Lil_Red

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert from SI
I'd find the range of Earthlink's IP's and redirect them to a page which contains Earthlink's toll free customer support number and email address and tell the user that Earthlink has modified your website and that they are not permitted to view it and to contact Earthlink to fix the problem.
Technically, they are not modifying the website. They are simply disallowing the ad network's code. To me, this is a good thing as way too many ad networks abuse pops. If the ad networks limited themselves to ONE pop per user per visit then ISPs would not feel the need to step in.

From the publisher's perspective, we should put pressure on the ad networks who abuse pops. Maybe now would be a good time for SI to step to the forefront and show ad networks how to responsibly display pops.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 06:33 PM   #29
Wiggum

There is no question that some publishers and ad networks abuse Popups but under NO circumstances should an ISP, Browser. or individual user be able to alter the content of a website or block network ad code.

Just like any other medium, if a user is unhappy with the amount or frequency of ads that they receive then they can simply go elsewhere. They have absolutely no right to prevent a publisher from earning revenue.

These days, web sites have to fight for every advertising dollar and the advertisers delivery method of choice is currently pop-ups. If other ISP's follow Earthlinks lead you can be sure that a lot of good sites that offer good content will be forced to close their doors.
Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 06:46 PM   #30
Lil_Red

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggum
These days, web sites have to fight for every advertising dollar and the advertisers delivery method of choice is currently pop-ups. If other ISP's follow Earthlinks lead you can be sure that a lot of good sites that offer good content will be forced to close their doors.
So far publishers have had no effect on convincing the ad networks to smarten up. I actually hope more ISPs will follow Earthlink's lead and then maybe ad networks will start concentrating on doing a better job delivering ads.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote