Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2002, 11:00 AM   #46
teckel

Quote:
Originally posted by Fromage
It seems like most of you are using advertising.com or another third party server for ads. It's too easy to add hosts-file to windows folder and block most common addresses. This is quite common way to block ads.

Of course this doesn't work if your banners are on the same server than your site.
The hosts file no longer works for Windows XP. Also, I'm working on ways to get around that block also. One way would be to install anti ad blocking technology on the advertising sites then send back the results of the test. This method would be basically impossible to designa work-around for as you couldn't setup an exception. I'm working with a smaller advertiser now to do just that. If advertising.com and doubleclick would impliment it, it would really change the advertising landscape for the better.

Tim
teckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 11:58 PM   #47
funtoon

Default This was really stupid

Today morning when I got up I got this mail

Comments/Suggestions Antiadbuster.com

Name: Anonymous
Email: anonymous@anonymous.to
Antiadbuster.com Source: Usenet

Message: So close and yet so far. Proxomitron has defeated you!

So I thought woww they did is so fast! time to release a new version, before that I thought I will test this ad-blocker.

So I search a bit and went to download Proxomitron http://www.spamblocked.com/proxomitron/download.html and installed it on my machine and tested it (how stupid antiadbuster blocks it)

(BTW this ad-blockers technology is being used by ad-subtract)

I dont know how that stupid person who wrote me a mail tested it! Anyways the pro version is going smooth, It is generarting stats etc, I am currently designing the front end, should be able to give the demo in a couple of days!

Last edited by funtoon; 05-17-2002 at 12:06 AM.
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 03:59 AM   #48
teckel

With Proxomitron and lots of other ad blockers you can create exception lists to get around anti ad blocking code. However, once anti ad blocking code is on millions of sites, it kinda makes creating the work-arounds more difficult than just viewing the ads.

Tim

Last edited by teckel; 05-17-2002 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:14 AM   #49
Fromage

Quote:
Originally posted by teckel

The hosts file no longer works for Windows XP. Also, I'm working on ways to get around that block also. One way would be to install anti ad blocking technology on the advertising sites then send back the results of the test. This method would be basically impossible to designa work-around for as you couldn't setup an exception. I'm working with a smaller advertiser now to do just that. If advertising.com and doubleclick would impliment it, it would really change the advertising landscape for the better.

Tim
Actually hosts file works for Win XP, it's just different folder where you have to put it.
Fromage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 04:43 AM   #50
dRD

Quote:

Tim
Best way would be that DoubleClick, etc would ask each and every publisher who can, to add a new subdomain to their DNS, whatever.yourdomain.com that would be an alias to their adserver and use that subdomain in their adserving script. This way you just couldn't use anything that plays with the DNS requests.

And funtoon: Sorry, I've been extremely busy last two days, but I'll mail you tomorrow about the CF version. The stripped-down CFM version is already in use (no JS checks) in my own domain at http://www.afterdawn.com/ and works nicely :-)
dRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 07:57 AM   #51
funtoon

Default Antiadbuster Update

Hi Geeks,

I know some of you are using antiadbuster, just wanted to let you know that I have released a new version and if you are using antiadbuster please download the new version.

This version fixes almost all the bugs/suggestions that webmasters have submitted, the most important bugs fixed are the querystring bug and the problem with virtual directories (that was earlier introduced for the PHP version).

I have installed the current release of Antiadbuster on the sites listed below so that you can test it before you install this version on your server.

1) http://www.funtooshtimes.com (PHP Version)

2) http://www.funtoosh.net (ASP Version)

Quote:
And funtoon: Sorry, I've been extremely busy last two days, but I'll mail you tomorrow about the CF version. The stripped-down CFM version is already in use (no JS checks) in my own domain at http://www.afterdawn.com/ and works nicely :-)
dRD I checked your site afterdawn.com with ad-subtract pro but it removed the ads I will test it with more ad-blocker mail me if you need help.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:26 AM   #52
dRD

Default Re: Antiadbuster Update

Quote:
dRD I checked your site afterdawn.com with ad-subtract pro but it removed the ads I will test it with more ad-blocker mail me if you need help.
Yeah, I finished the version by 2am and didn't really have the energy to add the frame/jscript tweak, so currently it is just lame version with USER_AGENT checks and other stuff implemented in the main template. Once I get rid of my workload in my "real life job" I will update the code to include all the functionality of the PHP version and upgrade the codebase to use the routines of your new version as well.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:40 AM   #53
funtoon

Thumbs down Proxomitron Spam

Well I dont know who is this guy from Proxomitron but look at this what he is doing at http://www.aspin.com/func/review?id=4517510

I went to http://www.proxomitron.org and downloaded the latest version and installed it on two machines with default configuration and tested it and antiadbuster blocks its!

I dont know what's the problem with this guy If possible any of you guys please check antiadbutser with proxomitron you can test it at http://www.funtooshtimes.com

Last edited by funtoon; 05-17-2002 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-17-2002, 02:56 PM   #54
clay
Member.

Quote:

Tim

I will add that to i-clicks.net if you send me the info you need on the return. Shouldn't be anything that is really hard to add. I'll just add it as an option for those who use these kinds of anti-blockers, and I could even go as far as providing links in the stats so that my users can go download it.

Since there is more than 1 of these blockers around, I would like to establish a common return so that it would work across them all. I don't want to have to use special code for every single one of those programs that get made. 1 for all of them would be best.

Send me an email, admin@i-clicks.net and I'll get whats needed added.

You will need to somekind of check for a no return, DNS error type thing. Something like this would fail really quick if someone puts this on there site, and an ad server goes down and everyone is blocked from the site. Many unhappy webmasters.
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 03:03 PM   #55
teckel

Quote:
Originally posted by Fromage

Actually hosts file works for Win XP, it's just different folder where you have to put it.
I placed it in the normal places for both Win95/98 as well as WinNT and neither work. What's the location of the Hosts file for WinXP?

Tim
Old 05-22-2002, 04:53 AM   #56
AhmedF

Quote:

I placed it in the normal places for both Win95/98 as well as WinNT and neither work. What's the location of the Hosts file for WinXP?

Tim
\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
AhmedF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 12:59 AM   #57
funtoon

Question How about this on antiadbuster

Well I was wondering should I release a new version which has stricter checking for ad-blocking, as all of you know that JavaScript’s and cookies are needed for most of the ads to be displayed on your website.

In the current release of antiadbuster I am lenient on these checks if even cookies are disabled I allow the user to browser the site, (which can be exploited to bypass antiadbuster), I was wondering if it is okay to release the new version of antiadbuster making JavaScript check and cookies check mandatory, this will make bypassing antiadbuster by ad-blockers very difficult.

Let me know your thoughts on this!

BTW dRD has given me the Coldfusion verison of Antiadbuster and I will put it on the site in a day or two!
Old 05-25-2002, 02:41 AM   #58
dRD

I would guess that we should make it user configurable. If webmaster wants to have a super-strict blocker detection, he/she can have it, but he/she can also opt for a non-strict version, which allows users to get through who don't have JS or cookies enabled.

I know that we can pretty easily defeat 99.9% of all circumvention attempts by blocking users who don't use JS/cookies, but then again, there are legitimate users who opt not to use those features of browser anyway.. Dilemma.
Old 05-25-2002, 03:10 AM   #59
funtoon

Yup I am doing that in the Pro Version (Currently in development) , the user (webmaster) can set the level of security he wants, But my dilema is what default settings should I give in the standard version.

Currently the standard version is not that strict, it allows even if cookies is disabled.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:41 PM   #60
fancythis

Default pro version

Let us know when pro version is complete!
fancythis is offline   Reply With Quote