Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2002, 08:41 PM   #1
funtoon

Default Antiadbuster sabotage

As all of you know I had released antiadbuster a few days ago, which detects ad-blocking softwares.

Its kind of a irony how these ad-blocker companies can use cheap tactics, yesterday I got a referer to the site antiadbuster from a very popular ad-blocker company and then guess what a few hours later I get a anomoyous mails regarding there is not enough documentation regarding antiadbuster and I should explain how antiadbuster works, because he is testing it, when I answered the all his queries but declined how antiadbuster works bcoz you know if we let the whole world know the logic behind it they can easily desgin workaround.

Antiadbuster was posted at aspin.com check this out what happened only a couple of hours after I replied to that email http://www.aspin.com/func/review-sea...ter&id=4517510 read the review damm they say it’s a spy ware! Can't these idots open up the code and read it if they know a little bit of programming its just plain ASP/PHP code.

You can check antiadbuster at work at (open your ad-blockers and test it) http://www.funtoosh.com http://www.classic-trash.com and http://www.funtooshtimes.com

The idea of antiadbuster was started here at geekvillage, it was made so that we webmasters can protect there websites, It is kind of sad that some people make baseless comments

Last edited by funtoon; 05-11-2002 at 08:43 PM.
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:08 PM   #2
keavin

I love the comment "it's unfair to block users because they are using adblocking software" Oh really? How about we make these idiots go to work and turn their pay checks over to us, if this is so unfair. What's next are companies going to start going into stores and removing ads from magazines? I just saw the earthlink ad where they block popups for their users. I wish some of the larger ad companies would get their lawyers and start suing these adblocking companies. The premise is in order to view content on websites, you have to "get a message from our sponsors" well when they block ads they are stealing content!

Sorry this just upsets me to no end. We are supposed to provide content for free and not use advertising to pay for it? Would these people rather all websites become subscription based? I don't know about being fair but people should be able to earn money for their work!
keavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:21 PM   #3
darnell

Don't let the crying users get you down. They will learn and tools like antiadbuster will help them with their education .

If we keep fighting back and uping the stakes on the ad-blockers people will get frustraited and either use another site of turn the ad blocking off.

Personally, I consider those that want my content for free leeches. I would rather they go elsewhere.

That's why I pulled about 25% of the content from my site (recipes) and the only way someone can get them is to purchase a CD or book . Best move I ever made.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:33 PM   #4
funtoon

Default antiadbuster dosent block user

well antiadbuster does not block a user, when a ad-blocker is detected it gives a message like this

"We have determined that you are using some sort of ad-blocking software.

Please understand that we are able to provide this content for free because of our Sponsors (ads) and if you choose to block them, we will be unable to display the pages.

Please shut of your ad-blocking software and click here to revisit our site."

The user just has to shut down there ad-blocker to vist the site.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:37 PM   #5
Guava

I posted an explanation on Aspin

http://www.aspin.com/func/review-sea...ter&id=4517510

Tried to explain how the redirect works to the person. So people will realize that it's not trying to do anything macilious
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 10:29 PM   #6
funtoon

Default thanks

Thanks Guava for posting on Aspin
Old 05-12-2002, 12:21 AM   #7
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Congrats and best wishes.

The ad-blocker issue also effects Merchants which as I'm sure we all know, are valuable members of this Community . An important point to remember.

Example: If all your cj adverts are blocked then both the cj merchant and cj earn less from your site.

Like 3 pees in the same pod in my example.

Good luck and HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 12:56 AM   #8
clay
Member.

Cool, Have you thought about adding a time teaser? Not sure if it would work without javascript. But, something that let the person see the page for like 5 seconds, then took them to that page, could make the person want to turn the ad blocker off. Just a late night idea.
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 02:02 AM   #9
funtoon

Smile Thanks

Thanks all fellow geeks you have boosted my morale, now I know that I am not Alone!
Old 05-12-2002, 08:43 AM   #10
SGA

Is there or will there be a cgi version. The URL that I have experienced the most problem is not running php.

SGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 08:48 AM   #11
Zeras
Member.

Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by funtoon
Thanks all fellow geeks you have boosted my morale, now I know that I am not Alone!
First, let me say that I applaud your efforts to help return control back to the web site owners. Now, I have a few questions.

In looking over your program code, it appears that your programs are relying on the HTTP_USER_AGENT variable being set. From what I hear, the newer versions of ad blocking software are starting to spoof their agent strings to circumvent this method. In fact, one of my web sites is an organised search engine that indexes about 150 other sites using custom developed software. Since I send a lot of traffic to those sites, they would definitely not want to block my site from indexing their site especially since I do not spider their entire site.

I can easily set the HTTP_USER_AGENT in my software to be "Googlebot" for example or I could set it to the same agent string that the latest Internet Explorer provides.

Understand, I am in NO WAY putting down what you are doing. Just the opposite. I want you or someone to succeed at this. I own several web sites and services and have plans to launch more in the future so I, like many other webmasters here, would love to find a way to combat the increasing ad-blocking problem.

The method you are using probably works for 80-90% of the users using ad blocking software now, but as anti ad-blocking programs gain in popularity, I can see all of the ad blocking software switching to spoofing their user agent strings.

As a programmer, I have spent a lot of time attempting to develop a solid anti ad-blocking solution for my sites and services. I have developed a method to detect pop-up ad-blockers and I am sure I could use the same principle to detect banner ad blocking. However, my method isn't perfect either so I continue to look for a solution to this growing problem.
Zeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 09:49 AM   #12
funtoon

Well antiadbuster doesnt rely on USER_AGENT to detect ad-blockers!

I user the user_agents only as a first step of defence, there are a series of tests that antiadbuster does, you can check the script with adsubtract pro which doesnt send a user_agent string but antiadbuster detects it.

I had to add genuine agents like googlebot, slurp etc so that antiadbuster could allow them to spider your site.

SGA currently antiadbuster supports only ASP / PHP platforms I am currently working on a pro version for PHP and maybe later on build a cgi version.

Last edited by funtoon; 05-12-2002 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:25 PM   #13
Furton

I will be installing this program on all of my network sites tonight, thanks for writing such a good script to help us fight back.

I would like to know is there anyway of detecting how many visitors are using ad-blocking software before I install this?
Furton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 02:42 PM   #14
funtoon

Hi furton the current version of antiadbuster is very basic it blocks ad-blockers and protects your site from site rippers this version doesnt generate stats etc, this version just concentrates on blocking ad-blockers.

I am working on a pro version that will have a host of features stats, admin screen etc the pro version should be out in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-12-2002, 05:11 PM   #15
lmergen

What about pop-up blockers? Are they included?
lmergen is offline   Reply With Quote