Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2001, 10:25 AM   #1
Scuba

Default Anoing things in web sites

Amazon,
I go to the home page and start to type in a search term. And after 1 letter a STUPID pop up window load with focus set on and I have to close it, and re type my word - the one letter I typed before the popup.

CJ,
I double click the login name line and select the allready there Email address, But the password dont show......
I start to type in the password but then the page finish to load and the curser jump to before the Email address.
Erase my password from the wrong place, re type it in the correct place.

Plz add more, and maybe one day some one will fix them
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 12:00 AM   #2
dezevo
Member.

Quote:
CJ,
I double click the login name line and select the allready there Email address, But the password dont show......
I start to type in the password but then the page finish to load and the curser jump to before the Email address.
Erase my password from the wrong place, re type it in the correct place.
LOL! It's sooo true. Happens almost every time to me. Geeze!

Hmmm... lets see if I can think of another one...

...well, this kinda happens paranoid computers (mine):
Sometimes I'll look at a page, then maybe click a link (the kind of things you click, expecting to hit the back button - like when you are looking at pictures (example of URL: http://www.somesite.com/images/somepic.GIF) - you know what I;m talking about). Anyway, when I hit the back button, sometimes it gives me that "Page Expired" - and then I have to press "refresh" and then it prompts me with some thing saying I "have to resubmit the information" to it and I have the options of "cancel" and "Retry." It just gets a weeeee little annoying all the time. Like I said, none of this probably happens to your computers, but mine is paranoid. I'll just blame it one Windows XP.

Last edited by dezevo; 12-09-2001 at 12:01 AM.
dezevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 12:00 AM   #3
Jan

Administrator

I get annoyed when I am typing a message in ICQ or MSN when hotmail is loading and then the page loads and comes to the front of your message box, leaving you typing in 'mid air'.
You go back to the message and it is BLANK!
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 12:02 AM   #4
dezevo
Member.

JINX!

LOL, we posted at the same time.

Yeah, I know, I'm a loser.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:09 AM   #5
Jan

Administrator

hahahaha, yeah I noticed there wasn't anything after AS's post, but when I finished replying, there you were!

Last edited by Jan; 12-09-2001 at 12:10 AM.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 03:22 PM   #6
qball0213

Well I've got a solution for the cj thing, bookmark this instead http://members.cj.com/member/foundat...passwd=xxxxxxx ofcourse insert your email and password first
qball0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 12:41 AM   #7
dezevo
Member.

Wow! That works nicely!
Old 12-10-2001, 12:45 AM   #8
dezevo
Member.

One problem (geeze, and ironically we're talking about annoying website things) the URL you have is shortened with the "...".

I'll try to post it for others:

Quote:
http://members.cj.com/member/foundation/applicationwide/memberlogin.jsp?aer_email=YOUR-EMAIL-ACCOUNT@YOURSITE.COM&asr_passwd=YOURPASSWORD
or just have:

Quote:
http://members.cj.com/member/foundation/applicationwide/memberlogin.jsp?aer_email=XXXXXXX@XXXXXXX.XXX&asr_ passwd=XXXXXXX
Just replace the "XX"'s with your email and password.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:57 AM   #9
suresk

Heh, I thought I was the only person who noticed such things. My bank's web access does the same thing, and I've usually got my whole account number typed in before it erases it all. Being the idiot I am, I've never managed to learn from it, and still try to type it in, time after time

The "Remember Password" feature in IE has spoiled me. I always get annoyed when sites like eTrade, my banks, and a few other places keep IE from saving the info. I guess that's to protect me from having people sneak onto my computer and steal my vast wealth

My biggest annoyance: Sites that try and use client-side stuff like that all over, but do it poorly. It usually makes for a bad user experience. I once frequented a bulletin board that was written in JSP, but not written too well, and on bad servers to boot. You'd type in a large message, go to submit it and 20% of the time immediately get a "Cannot Find Server" error message. Hit back, and the text box was empty. We all learned to type our messages in Notepad or somewhere else, then paste them in
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:53 PM   #10
dezevo
Member.

Quote:
You'd type in a large message, go to submit it and 20% of the time immediately get a "Cannot Find Server" error message. Hit back, and the text box was empty. We all learned to type our messages in Notepad or somewhere else, then paste them in
Ouch! Yah gotta hate that! That's happened to me. It especially ***** when you've typed a huge message for sometimes even half-an-hour! What I do is write out the whole thing in the box provided, then when I'm done, copy all the text so I can re-paste it if that happens.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:03 PM   #11
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Comet Cursor downloads.

Pages where things follow your cursor around.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 09:26 PM   #12
CelicaFan
Member.

aarrrrggggghhhhhh! I hate Comet Cursor downloads! damn!
also, any page that changes your start page without you knowing...I think that one is pretty obvious...
CelicaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 10:16 PM   #13
dezevo
Member.

Gotta hate those! Damn Start-Page makers - or ones that automatically bookmark that page

Old 12-10-2001, 10:22 PM   #14
dezevo
Member.

Here's another annoying thing.

Automatic downloads. Ones you can't control. I somehow downloaded a virus. God damn! Its some kind of virus that seems to generate an IE pop-up every 2 days or so of some "FreeMovies" thing. Pain in the ***! Well, not really. Like I said, it only pops up every 2 or 3 days. Oh well.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:46 AM   #15
Scuba

I think commet cursur need to be out from this list.
You can read about it in the Stop **** area
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote