Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2000, 02:53 PM   #46
KHN
Member.

Cool

What about the dash "-" in a domain?

How much do you think it will lower the value of a domain. I have mp3-center.com, so I just want your opinions.

------------------
KHN
www.thefreeguide.com - Free Stuff and Webmaster Resources!!
www.totalclipart.com - Your #1 Source to Free Clip Art Sites!!

KHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 03:03 PM   #47
Yngwv

Cool

I think in general it would greatly lower the value of the name. I could be wrong. But the mp3 part does redeem it a bit. A lot of names in bargain bins and at the whois thing have dashes in them. Some of them would be very good names without the dashes. Mp3center would be a good name.

[This message has been edited by Yngwv (edited 02-28-2000).]
Yngwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 06:17 PM   #48
Lavee

Cool

I have registered a domain about a month back just to try out my luck in selling domain names. The domain I have registered is GetaMillion.com

This is in sale at greatdomains.

So far no offers have been made on this domain name.

the other domains what I have are

TheTopList.com
i will probably develop this and this is not for sale

Lavee

------------------
Free Stuff Directory
www.Lavee.com
Lavee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 06:29 PM   #49
hobbnet

Cool

Regarding the neatsavings.com domain name. That domain name was just an example that I used. I was trying to prove a point that there are plenty of good, untaken domain names. In my argument posted above I just wanted an example of a good available domain name that was easy to find. So, in the middle of my post I went to networksolutions.com and it took me literally 5 seconds to find neatsavings.com.

And yes maybe in the distant future catchy .com names will be worth a lot more to people. But, I believe most of the people in the domain selling business are there for the quick and easy buck...Not as a long term investment. If they were in for the long term investment they would develop the site.

And I am not sure if that question was rhetorical but the word neat has two meanings. One meaning is being neat or clean and the other meaning is a slang word equivalent to cool....Which reminds me of the rather large website coolsavings.com http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gifOh and another site....can't remember the name...something like very-cool-stuff.com....
http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif
------------------
Service Swap Webmasters helping webmasters. Come trade design, links, exposure, content and more.

[This message has been edited by hobbnet (edited 02-28-2000).]
hobbnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 06:42 PM   #50
WildComputer

Cool

Just my $0.02:
I think the value of ALL domain names will decline. As the web gets easier to navigate the need, for the average person, to remember www.something.com will decline

More powerful search engines, real names, GOTO.com, More intelligent web browsers...

Of course if you get lucky good lucky to you. However I wouldn't assume that any domain name will appreciate in value over the next few years

------------------
  • Free Expert Advice: Tune up your site for profits, with a 12 page detailed report written specially for you
    (This is brand new so let me know what you think)
  • My favorite affiliate programs - plus tips, tricks and strategies for each one.
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 06:58 PM   #51
Yngwv

Cool

I think that is a very good point. But it's not so much remembering the name (of course that is a big part of it - got to type it in) as much as it is name association. Just the way our brains work. Attractive names that say something quick and clean will always have value. Any name can be built into an empire. All things being equal, names that project an image well will sell in any sense regardless of any quantum leap in technology. Most of the advertisements we see for websites will be from other media like tv, radio, newspapers, billboards. The seeds are sown there. If IE 7.2 has the new quick there feature, it will still involve the choice of a name. And there in lies the tale.

The difference between those two domain names is like the difference between night and day. One is clear and the other requires a dictionary to justify. I don't think that is a good name at all (neatsavings). It is a perfect example of an incongruous compound name. And it is these slight differences that can mean bargain bin or payday. Just my opinion.

Old 02-28-2000, 07:37 PM   #52
mtgm

Lightbulb

I think the days of looking for domain names to sell for large profit are GONE. All the short/desirable names were bought long ago by somebody else.

I.E. Take for example, http://www.bar.com/ . Someone offered $1.1 million for this name. (See http://www.haven.com/generic.html )

OR

Take http://www.business.com/ , which was sold for $7.5 million.

The point that I am making here is that it is virtually impossible to make such a large sum of money off of a domain name that was not already registered long ago. Sure, there are still some OK .com names left, but none that will ever be worth/bought for $1,000,000+. In all honesty, I'm sure most of us would agree.
mtgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 07:52 PM   #53
Yngwv

Cool

I would be happy to make $5,000 on a $35 investment. That for me would be big time. I think anybody would be happy with this. And if you have something really special like a short name of a potential live cell biomicrochip manufacturer in germany or a million dollar seller (domain name) in this country in another language where the internet in that country is exploding, you could make much more. 7.5 million? That's lotto. I'm talking about earning back much more than $35. Short simple english words are not necessarily the only way to get there. You gotta be creative and not closeminded while still being realistic. Blah-blah.

Old 02-28-2000, 09:21 PM   #54
Aaron Dragushan

Cool

The days of making a million on a domain name are indeed gone... and you know what? That ain't such a bad thing. This may be a controversial viewpoint, but I think we should spend our time developing the 'net, not hoarding names.

If you're in this gig solely for the $$, I'd say you actually have a better chance of making it big with a great site, that you've built into something special, rather than a one-time name sale. I was recently offered 150k for one of my sites, and the name is nothing special, believe me... http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

- Aaron

[This message has been edited by Aaron Dragushan (edited 02-28-2000).]
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2000, 12:09 AM   #55
gbrott

Cool

I think totalsavings is a great name. Short and sweet, and the name describes what the product / service would be.

The value of that name (as with most) probably is not being sold for $500,000k to the venture- backed firm, but with a smaller site / individual who wants to create a coupon / ecommerce site. Maybe sell in the $5000 + range.

I have a number of domains that generate 10-50 visits a day on their own, simply because the names make perfect sense.
gbrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2000, 12:20 AM   #56
Yngwv

Cool

Thanks ... I mean yeah I like that name. I think I might have a real snag. It means wow (and other things) and probably is the most said word in this foreign language. The internet in that country is growing faster than anywhere second only to the US. This is almost like a riddle the way I'm describing this... my point is that if you research and approach name buying like an inexact science maybe you will get lucky. I hope I do. I hate working.
Old 02-29-2000, 12:40 AM   #57
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Cool

Sounds a bit long to me....but who knows.

I'm doing a site for a guy with the .ca (Canadian extension). He inquired about buying the .com extension (conveniently for sale).

They first told him $7,500 US - but a few days later had "confered with head office" (HA) and said he could have it for $5,000. I imagine by next week 'head office' will be reducing it further. I've noted the registration date and will see if they keep it or let it go.
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2000, 05:31 AM   #58
uonline

Cool

Edwin:

I went to www.afternic.com and appraised a few names from my opinion. I appraised www.internettoyshop.com for $1K when all these idealists appraised for $100K LOL http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif Guess what happened he appraised my domain for $2 www.MyTeller.com. Now I am banned from the site, LOL. I log in then I am banned, that site although unique is filled with optimism I went to pop a few bubbles and now I am banned. LOL http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Just My Thoughts Afternic

LOL
uonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2000, 06:09 AM   #59
torifan

Cool

Here's my first attempt at picking up some names. You all think there's any good ones here?
top50funds.com
fundcompare.com
fundfinder.net
windows4linux.com
mini-skirt.com
noprivacy.net
ask-a-genius.com
inetsearch.net
surftheglobe.net
free-imail.com
html-bible.com
ask-a-human.com
imail2u.com
netcashguide.com
torifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2000, 04:10 PM   #60
KidKilowatt

Cool

Useless Information:

Someone mentioned Amazon.com somewhere in this thread so here you go.....
Here are some useless facts about how Jeff Bezos came up with the name Amazon.com.

"On July 4 weekend, Jeff and MacKenzie flew out to Fort Worth, Texas, bid goodbye to his family and headed for Seattle--a city near one of the two big book wholesalers and chockfull of the kinds of Net-savvy people he'd need to hire. MacKenzie drove a 1988 Chevy Blazer that Mike Bezos donated, while Jeff tapped out a business plan on a laptop. On that road trip West, somewhere near the Grand Canyon, Bezos called a lawyer who specialized in start-ups. What do you plan to call your company, the lawyer asked. Bezos liked the sound of Abracadabra, but the word was a little long. "So I said, 'Cadabra,'" he recalls. "Cadaver?" repeated the lawyer. A few weeks later, Bezos changed the name to Amazon Inc., after the seemingly endless South American river."

Good thing he went with Amazon http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif But maybe one of you guys , wants to buy up Cadabra.com , in case he changes his mind http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif
Too late, looks like Goto.com already did that, strange... try selling all your domains to Goto.com http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif
Looks like cadaver.com is available http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote