Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
vonkal
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default AdSense page view discrepancies

I have never understood how to evaluate my traffic against Gs AdSense reports, and have just come across another glitch of some sort.

I have a site that generates about 3,000 unique visitors per day, with about 12,000 page views. Both of these numbers are derived from Urchin stats. I have at least one AdSense ad on every page.

It has always been the case that G never shows as many page views as my stats do, and over the years the gap has widened to what is now about 25% (I get 4x as many page views from Urchin stats). I understand that some discrepancies exist for many reasons, such as no ads to serve and psas may not count as a page view either. However, over a period of time, shouldnt there be some relationship between the two numbers? Does anyone else see similar results of AdSense page views being approximately 25% of what their stats show?

Now to the new glitch!

I have two pages which generate 45% of all page views on my site. Wanting to test my new YPN ads, I removed the AdSense code on these two pages and replaced it with YPN code. Now having no G ads on them, according to my calculations, this should have equated to approximately a 45% drop in my overall page views on my AdSense report.

To my surprise, they have remained the same! No change at all!

Can anyone shed some much needed light on this?
vonkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:15 AM   #2
dRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonkal
I have never understood how to evaluate my traffic against Gs AdSense reports, and have just come across another glitch of some sort.

I have a site that generates about 3,000 unique visitors per day, with about 12,000 page views. Both of these numbers are derived from Urchin stats. I have at least one AdSense ad on every page.

It has always been the case that G never shows as many page views as my stats do, and over the years the gap has widened to what is now about 25% (I get 4x as many page views from Urchin stats). I understand that some discrepancies exist for many reasons, such as no ads to serve and psas may not count as a page view either. However, over a period of time, shouldnt there be some relationship between the two numbers? Does anyone else see similar results of AdSense page views being approximately 25% of what their stats show?
Not quite 25%, but near that figure (we too, use stand-alone version of Urchin (or should it be called already "stand-alone Google Analytics"?), to analyze our traffic stats). What I have concluded is that:

1) AdSense ads are JavaScript -only ads. If your users are "tech-savvy", the percentage of users blocking JS is slightly higher than usual. If you use ad serving system, like PAN, you can have also "static" ads that show up if the JS is disabled. Sure, you can't use AdSense for those, but can at least show ads for the users disabling JavaScript.

2) Ad blockers have become more and more popular.

Quote:
Now to the new glitch!

I have two pages which generate 45% of all page views on my site. Wanting to test my new YPN ads, I removed the AdSense code on these two pages and replaced it with YPN code. Now having no G ads on them, according to my calculations, this should have equated to approximately a 45% drop in my overall page views on my AdSense report.

To my surprise, they have remained the same! No change at all!

Can anyone shed some much needed light on this?
You stated that you have multiple ad units on each page? To remove the high-traffic pages from Google page impression figures, the pages must be completely free of AdSense ads. Meaning that changing the mere 728x90 on your high-traffic pages from AdSense to YPN, but leaving 120x600 AdSense unit on those pages will result the page be counted as "page impression" in AdSense system still (and violating also AdSense's TOS, as you AFAIK can't have YPN and AdSense on same page..). I strongly recommend that you make AdSense channels to your different ad unit sizes, etc so you can track your traffic, CTR and income more accurately (for example, for us, certain "small units" were completely useless in terms of income and got rid of those year ago).
dRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
vonkal
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Thanks for the great reply dRD,

I will look into PAN to help display static ads to those who are blocking scripts. Any edge I can get will help.

From your reply, I guess I should not be alarmed that G report only shows approx 25% of what my stats show. I would like to know if that is typical of others, so I hope some other members will give some input too.

On the last part of my original post, let me clarify.

I removed all the AdSense code from two of my pages which account for 45% of my total page views. So there are no G ads running on those pages. Not only did this have zero impact on my AdSense reports, but yesterdays AdSense report hit a record high for number of page views.

This seems to me to fly in the face of reason. How can I remove the AdSense code from nearly half of the page views, and have no negative impact on the AdSense report?
vonkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
OnlineGuide

As with every network you use, there will always be discrepencies. One thing that I've done to help ease the differences in the numbers is adding a random number variable. I do not know if Adsense allows this, but you may want to ask them. The other this is using iframes, but this is against the TOS for Google.
OnlineGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
dave989
Member.

I don't really understand why internet users would want to block JS. If you do that then most websites that they visit won't even function properly as most websites use some form of JS including me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRD
Not quite 25%, but near that figure (we too, use stand-alone version of Urchin (or should it be called already "stand-alone Google Analytics"?), to analyze our traffic stats). What I have concluded is that:

1) AdSense ads are JavaScript -only ads. If your users are "tech-savvy", the percentage of users blocking JS is slightly higher than usual. If you use ad serving system, like PAN, you can have also "static" ads that show up if the JS is disabled. Sure, you can't use AdSense for those, but can at least show ads for the users disabling JavaScript.

2) Ad blockers have become more and more popular.

You stated that you have multiple ad units on each page? To remove the high-traffic pages from Google page impression figures, the pages must be completely free of AdSense ads. Meaning that changing the mere 728x90 on your high-traffic pages from AdSense to YPN, but leaving 120x600 AdSense unit on those pages will result the page be counted as "page impression" in AdSense system still (and violating also AdSense's TOS, as you AFAIK can't have YPN and AdSense on same page..). I strongly recommend that you make AdSense channels to your different ad unit sizes, etc so you can track your traffic, CTR and income more accurately (for example, for us, certain "small units" were completely useless in terms of income and got rid of those year ago).
dave989 is offline   Reply With Quote